Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Wheel Bearing Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 04:25 PM
mikeymo67 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Wheel Bearing Question

I probably didn't search extensively enough for an answer to this question, so I'm sorry if this is something that has already been discussed at length.

I have a'99 4x4 Blazer. I had all the wheel bearings replaced in November of'07 When I bought it. I had one go bad in March of this year and now I have another going bad. My question is this...do these vehicles have some inherent problem with this part of which I am not aware? It's only driven part time and so far only on the street.

Thanks!

Old 07-03-2008, 10:20 PM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Wheel Bearing Question

What brand parts were they replaced with? Some swear by Timken and no other. Others go for a repackaged Timken. Also, the torque specs are very important here. If the axle nut is more or less than 103 ft/lbs it can cause premature wear.

Old 07-04-2008, 09:40 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The life expectancy of wheel bearings on pretty much any vehicle is directly dependent on the quality of parts used.

Old 07-06-2008, 03:26 PM
mikeymo67 is an unknown quantity at this point

When I replaced them all when I got it they were replaced at the local Chevy dealer. The first that went bad was replaced at the dealer at no charge. That was after a few thousand miles. I'm not really sure what brand they used.

Old 07-15-2008, 10:20 PM
drwwi2002 is an unknown quantity at this point

I found brand to be important here. I replaced mine with the generic advance auto part, and it went in six months. They warrantied the part, and that one went in 9 months. Advance auto agreed to replace with a brand name (National). Since then it's been no problem (over a year). My advice - spend a little extra for brand name part.