Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

wtf 2001 blazer 2wd upper ball joint duralast passenger side

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2011, 07:47 PM
bob c is on a distinguished road
Default wtf 2001 blazer 2wd upper ball joint duralast passenger side

i can not get the top one on too short! do you put the top one on first? is there an order that has to be followed i put the bottom one on first. i can not seem to get the top one on passenger side!!!

Old 10-15-2011, 08:35 PM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

If you are talking about connecting to spindle, you have to jack the lower control arm up

Old 10-15-2011, 08:49 PM
bob c is on a distinguished road
Default did that

did that not gettig close!

Old 10-17-2011, 09:09 AM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

I thought about this problem while working on my shocks yesterday...

The sway bar link will keep you away from free movement of LCA. In other words the opposite side is hanging full down

Always disconnect one side when adjust tbars or make sure each side is in same relative position

Old 10-17-2011, 10:52 AM
Beginning Member
alloy is on a distinguished road

I just did my right side upper yesterday but I only had the floor jack under one side. Took a little bit of effort to pull the upper control arm down to get the nut started, but it was doable.

I encourage everyone to check their ball joints. I just bought my ZR2 last weekend and did a water pump and window motor on saturday, and thought I'd check the front brakes to see how much pad I had left since the rears are getting thin. When I jacked up the right front the top of the tire moved out about 2 inches. I grabbed the wheel and was amazed how much movement there was in both the ball joints. The top was just about ready to fail. The bottom is loose. I got some new ones and pulled the top one off and found that I'd been given the wrong parts. I only have one vehicle so I had to put the top back in and go back to the parts store. After all this I only got the one top in before I ran out of time, but even that made a huge difference. The left side is pretty tight, but I'll change them out anyway next weekend.

Doesn't look like it's ever been greased. And there is a window sticker from jiffy lube that it was serviced less than 300 miles ago. There should be some evidence of lubrication if they actually greased it. But in the condition it's in if they had greased it, it would probably have come apart on me.

Some times you just get lucky and avoid disaster.

Last edited by alloy; 10-17-2011 at 11:40 AM.