Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

yet again another 4x4 drop question

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 01:38 AM
macisme is on a distinguished road
Question yet again another 4x4 drop question

Hi all,

My first post here. I bought a 1997 Jimmy SLT from my fiance's dad not long ago and we were going to sell it. She told me to just keep it and turn it into a SPL machine for competing this summer (8 15's on 4 4000w amps). Anyway to the point, this truck is all wheel drive. I am not familiar with any sort of lowering on vehicles or even 4 wheel drive mechanics. I am simply a certified 12v MECP Certified installer. Anything to do with wiring and most electrical I can do easily, this sort of thing is new to me completely. I have read numerous posts on here and little to no mention to the awd vehicles. Am I to expect to drop this truck the same way as the 4x4's? Isn't it the same damn thing? Also I really don't want to go far with it. I would say 3/3 is pushing it in my book. I read about the keys etc and the blocks in back. If I do blocks in back am I understanding right when I read that going with 4 inch blocks will give it a smoother ride then a 3? Also this truck will not be a daily driver but will see some street driving. What would you do if you wanted to drop this thing? What is the easiest for a noobie like me and most cost efficient? Any information you can give me would be awesome. Oh and the truck is sitting on 18" x 8.5 rims and I am probably going with a 225/55/18 tire.

Thanks for reading and sorry for another post on this, but I don't feel that others lowering expectations are really the same as mine. I don't want to slam this.. just get rid of some of the space between tire and fender. Also with the weight of the subwoofer box, subs, batteries wiring, and amps etc. Should I consider replacing factory shocks or do you think my factory load recommendations will still be met? I don't see it going over that to be honest. Just looking for opinions.

Old 02-26-2010, 04:55 AM
Blazer Forum 2009 Ride of the Year Winner
nj4x4blaze has a spectacular aura aboutnj4x4blaze has a spectacular aura about

You can purchase a complete drop kit from Belltech which included new torsion drop keys and drop blocks. Or you can just purchase 3" or 4" drop blocks and lossen the front torsion bolt. Make sure to get new drop shocks as well. Belltech and other companies make drop shocks.