Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

ZR2 leveling - Air Shocks the path forward?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2018, 04:59 PM
Beginning Member
Nilism is on a distinguished road
Default ZR2 leveling - Air Shocks the path forward?

I have a 2003 s-10 ZR2 at 186k km. I am just getting ready to do a front end suspension rebuild. Most of the planning for that is done. Now I am looking at the back.

I think all I need to do to the rear end is shocks and leveling. I was considering installing AirLift air bags but that always seemed like overkill to me. I've just discovered "air shocks", which I had no idea existed. Is an air shock going to be a reasonable solution for a saggy spring? I definitely like the idea of an adjustable system, as sometimes I get a lot of gear in the back of the blazer when camping/climbing. Are there other pitfalls of air shocks I should be aware of? Any other manufacturers I should look at besides Gabriel and Monroe?

I'm not really a car guy, so sometimes I lack common knowledge. Generally I do OK with hands on projects though, so I am willing to take any old advice on the matter.

Appreciate the feedback!

Old 08-24-2018, 01:34 PM
odat is on a distinguished road

Air shocks have been around for years, Big thing back in the late 60s early 70s when cars were set on their nose and the rear tires were a foot+ wide hanging way out past the body. they work good until they don't.

When one blows or the plastic air line between them comes apart it can be a royal PIA when running down the road esp. with a load -

IMO the best thing for saggy springs is replace them with good ones and or maybe a helper overload spring added for any extra loads you haul inside

Last edited by odat; 08-24-2018 at 02:07 PM.
Old 08-24-2018, 07:17 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by odat
Air shocks have been around for years, Big thing back in the late 60s early 70s when cars were set on their nose and the rear tires were a foot+ wide hanging way out past the body. they work good until they don't.

When one blows or the plastic air line between them comes apart it can be a royal PIA when running down the road esp. with a load -

IMO the best thing for saggy springs is replace them with good ones and or maybe a helper overload spring added for any extra loads you haul inside

I have seen some people replacing the feed lines with something more durable, that seems to make sense. New springs will be like $500+ they are coming at a premium for sure. Seriously considering adding another "top leaf" with the ends trimmed off, should be able to pull a couple from a wrecker pretty easy. Still doesn't address the adjustable load solution that air brings to the table though.

Old 08-24-2018, 10:04 PM
chevyriders is on a distinguished road

The adjustable air shocks would be great for a bunch of reasons.... but I agree with odat, Replacing the springs is the solution to your problem. Run new springs and air shocks if you want the ability to adjust. You could probably find a pair of new springs for under 300, or closer to 250 even., and then you don't have to mess around cutting apart 2 spring packs, and putting in new centerpins and all that. Plus you get new bushings!

Old 08-24-2018, 11:38 PM
odat is on a distinguished road

You would have to measure yours for fit as a ZR2 maybe different but at rock auto under $200.00 ea + maybe shipping

Old 08-29-2018, 07:45 PM
Beginning Member
gman4q2 is on a distinguished road

I'm also looking at doing air shocks on my 2003 ZR2, but have been unable to find any specific to the ZR2. Let me know what you come up with.

Old 08-30-2018, 02:11 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by gman4q2
I'm also looking at doing air shocks on my 2003 ZR2, but have been unable to find any specific to the ZR2. Let me know what you come up with.
Monroe MA759 Max-Air Adjust Shock
Gabriel HiJackers Air Shocks 49213
ACDELCO 504535

I purchased the AC Delco from rock auto. The air fitting comes off at a 90 elbow on these ones, which reports as more likely to prevent airline damage.

Old 08-31-2018, 09:33 AM
Beginning Member

Those are the numbers I came up with also, but its my understanding these are for regular Blazers and not the ZR2. That said, everything is the same except they would be approx. 2" shorter than ones for a ZR2. I too was looking at getting the AC Delco's and also purchasing a 2" extension for them.

Amazon Amazon

Did you get them and install them yet?

Old 09-01-2018, 02:02 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by gman4q2
Those are the numbers I came up with also, but its my understanding these are for regular Blazers and not the ZR2. That said, everything is the same except they would be approx. 2" shorter than ones for a ZR2. I too was looking at getting the AC Delco's and also purchasing a 2" extension for them.
Here are to stock specs from monroe website for a normal replacement on the ZR2:

Compressed Length 16.000"
Dust Shield Yes
Extended Length 25.250"
Travel Length 9.250"

Here are the AC Delco Air Shock Specs:

Compressed Length: 14.79"
Extended Length: 24.27"
Stroke Length: 9.48"
Dust Shield: Yes

So they are an inch shorter at full extension. I really can't see that being a problem but once they are installed in a few weeks I'll have an idea of fitment on a fully unloaded suspension system. I can only imagine this being an issue when you have max compression on one side and min compression (max extension) on the other side of the axle.

Old 09-01-2018, 03:03 PM
Beginning Member

Yeah, I guess. I was looking at the Monroe website and comparing the length of the LS to the ZR. One thing I just noticed on the Monroe website is that the bolt spread on the top mounting is showing the two shocks are different by a half inch, how did you remedy that?

Quick Reply: ZR2 leveling - Air Shocks the path forward?