Street N Strip Post your vacation driving stories, day at the track, breakdowns, safety issues, driving techniques, unique driving conditions, etc. STREET RACING STORIES ARE STRICTLY PROHIBITED.

Blazer Khana

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 10:50 PM
streblo will become famous soon enoughstreblo will become famous soon enough

zedartwo - thats bunk
cbr995 - alright, i gotta check out that contest in the first place
old skool - i was thinking having it facing backwards so you can see the blazer and the sides of it, on the roof without the blazer in view i think will be the same as video taping from inside....without the blazer or a reference point in the frame its hard to see/tell that your actually drifting........thinking on the bull gaurd even if i only got half of the blazer in frame.....will have to do some testing.

Went out with rotti tonight, gotta check the videos, he has one of me and its pretty damn embarassing!!!...dammit, im sure some of you found it on another thread..
anyways i pulled a 360 for rotti tonight and he got it on film,
heres his vid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIZayZFcRiY

Last edited by streblo; 01-29-2011 at 11:35 PM. Reason: add video
Old 02-01-2011, 11:31 PM
Default How To:

Well i figured some of you guys down south are getting snow you rarely ever get and want to go and play, so heres a few basic how to's to get out there and have some fun and tune in your skills.

First Off
2 doors handle different than 4 doors - A longer wheelbase whill generally spin slower, this means that in a 2 door its easier and faster to spin that back end around, but also easier and faster to lose it and end up doing an unintentional 180. Generally with the exception of the 360, the few stunts I list are easier for a beginner to learn and perform in a longer wheelbase vehicle as they slide a little bit slower.

Drift
Start in an open area, to start the drift get going around 20-30kmh to start, turn the wheel slightly and give some throttle, just enough to get that back end kicking out. To keep control of the drift once you have your drift engaged turn the wheel the opposit direction. I.E. If you want to do a clockwise drift, turn the wheel slightly to the right, give it some gas to kick out the back end, then turn the wheel to the left, the further left you turn the wheel the straighter of a line you will travel, if you crank it to far left you might kick that back end out in the other direction. to turn in the clockwise direction turn the wheel slightly to the right, if you turn the wheel past straight to the right you will run the risk of spinning out (spinning around in a 180 to a stop). DO NOT FLOOR IT, if you floor it you are not in proper control of your drift, feather the gas, after you kick the back end out give it more gas to kick it out more, less gas to straighten out more, finding that happy medium is what will keep your drift going smooth and in control. Try this in an open area in a large diameter circle, as you get more comfortable bring this circle in tighter and tighter.

Drift 4x4
this is a bit more tricky, again practise in an open area. drifting in 4x4 you will be travelling at a much higher speed, very similar to the 2wd drift you need to turn slightly, then floor it to get the back wheels to kick the rear end out. Once it is kicked out you again need to find that happy medium on the throttle, you will find this drift to handle differently, and you will not need to counter steer as much as you will in 2wd, this is because your front wheels are pulling you in the direction you steer. You may need to counter steer but probably not to the extent as you would in 2wd.
Note: If you are not comfortable drifting in 2wd i would not attempt to drift in 4x4 due to the higher speeds.

Reverse 180
Because its rwd if you floor it and crank the wheels the front end wont spin around, the rear wheels will be trying to pull you in a straight line, so in order to do this you need to first accelerate in a straight line in reverse, let off the gas and crank the wheel. You should be able to pull a reverse 180.
Note: you can put it into 4x4 and floor it in reverse to spin but its SUPER hard on the drivetrain, i would recommend against this.

The 360
This is by far one of the more trickier stunts to attempt and requires a bit more co-ordination and practice. you need to get your speed up, over 20kmh to do this, if your speed is to low you will not be able to carry out the entire rotation. when you are up to speed crank the wheel and floor it so that you kick that back end around in a 180, at the very moment you spin 180 you need to do two things, you need to crank the wheel in the opposit direction, and you need to shift into neutral or reverse. neutral will only work if you have enough speed. then once you have spun about 160 degrees of the final 180 you need to shift back into drive and steer in the opposit direction again, this will straighten you out.
Note: if your initial speed is fast enough you can carry out the entire rotation without having to shift gears, and possibly without having to counter steer twice, you need to be going pretty fast and its super tricky to pull it off, once you are about to hit 180 you need to let off the gas or else you probably wont be able to complete the final 180. This is WAY trickier and sketchier, the higher speed is what makes it a bit more dangerous. I DO NOT do these unless i have a large wide open street as with the higher speed and variable slipperyness of the road its harder to hold that straight line down the road, I could do it on the 2 lane road but i would always err on the side of caution. If you notice in Ken Blocks Gymkhana 3 when he does this it is on a wettet track, not snow (the slipperyness does not change considerably), and he takes up a fair amount of width of road to do it. The 360s I pull are using the reverse method, lower speeds, and a road min. 2 car widths wide. Also the longer your wheelbase the harder this is.

And finally the simple doughnut.
This is simple crank the wheel and give it gas, but again like the drift, if you floor it your back end will spin around to quickly and you will lose the spin, find that happy medium on the pedal by feathering it and you should be able to spin around enough times to make yourself dizzy.

So trying these out for the first time make sure your in an open space as they can be easy to lose your control and slide out of your intended line.
If you have any questions just let me know and i will do my best!

So get out there and HAVE FUN! because thats all this is about.

Last edited by streblo; 02-03-2011 at 12:35 AM. Reason: further details/notes
Old 02-02-2011, 01:29 AM
BF Veteran
MTopper will become famous soon enough

i've been drifting front wheel and rear wheel drive for the last 4 years and after reading your "short" post, i giggled because i realized i have never done a reverse 180. i did it in my old cavalier on dry pavement but that was stupidity.

i'll see what i can get this weekend

Old 02-18-2011, 09:32 AM
Starting Member
JTalley is on a distinguished road

I'm loving those instructions!!! Too bad I don't have insurance...

Old 02-21-2011, 09:07 PM

Haha.
Oh man! Working on editing the probably final cut..but this laptop doesnt have enough power and it hung and now cant load the files....DAMMIT.....Need my new laptop to show up in the mail NOW so i can finish this.

Old 02-21-2011, 09:56 PM
zedartwo will become famous soon enough

Haha. I'm pretty mad I didn't get out (Yet). Had some good ideas too. O well, I'll write'm down for next year.

Old 02-21-2011, 10:24 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by zedartwo
Haha. I'm pretty mad I didn't get out (Yet). Had some good ideas too. O well, I'll write'm down for next year.

i'm in the same boat as you Brad.

was kinda hoping we would actually get something close to what they were forcasting for us today.

of course it was a bust.

now.....to start that list............

Old 02-21-2011, 10:39 PM
zedartwo will become famous soon enough

Better get one of those 1 subject notebooks for whats in my head lol

Old 02-21-2011, 10:56 PM

LOL....I got lots of ideas still, but a major lack of snow lately with none in the forecast is seriously hampering production.....i think it def has to be this laptop..as soon as i got the first 4 min of editing done, like..ALMOST done its only about a 5 min vid..it hangs...about 3 min in playback was getting choppy..4 min in just hangs..LUCKILY i saved the project file..so i can re load it..but each time i go to reload it it just bogs down the ram and hangs....first just doesnt let me play it..second i wont let me edit, as soon as i try it says its busy, cant do it now... would you like to cancel and shut down...oh.JOY.....checked the system peformance to see that its cached a ton of ram. and the free amount of ram dropped to..20mb..then as it continued to load ..down to 0 and movie maker shut down...DAMMIT.....hope my new laptop shows up...the expected delivery date is...between feb 23 and march 6th....WTF....seriously?..WTF is that...bah.hope it comes soon so i can finish it up.was hoping to get it done tonight ...think im gonna use this song...got some of it timed pretty nicely

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGL-IASSoFc

Im cutting out the first 50 seconds of it though

Old 02-21-2011, 11:49 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

you think you have computer issues Jon?

i just waited 43 seconds for that to load, only to have it only play the poster shot @ the beginning.

both times i refreshed the page it did that!!!

@ leat it's dope beat to listen to. that song pounds like a mother in my brother's Summer Dime. plus, i just got s**t for waking up my wife.

boy, does she ever hate that i got a nice 7.1 surround system for the computer. just need to upgrade to match the rest of my crap to that.