Street N Strip Post your vacation driving stories, day at the track, breakdowns, safety issues, driving techniques, unique driving conditions, etc. STREET RACING STORIES ARE STRICTLY PROHIBITED.

Blazer vs. Passat

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2006, 09:57 PM
BigGreenMonster is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Blazer vs. Passat

ORIGINAL: swartlkk

I'm gonna call BS on that time. So you are saying that you've picked up over 1 second on a stock 2dr 2wd truck with your mods??? What was your trap speed? How about your 60' time or 1/8th time/speed?

My Bonneville with more power (240hp stock), about the same weight, and more torque (280ftlb stock) only runs 14.84sec in the 1/4 for my personal best. I highly doubt that you've picked up 50hp and 30ftlb with a PCM and trans work...
Maybe 30 at best... Whats the programmer good for? 20 would be generous.

Old 09-14-2006, 10:08 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Now, trans work, while shortening and firming up shifts, it will not increase the performance of the vehicle. It will result in less wear on the clutches, but not lower the hp loss through the transmission.

And some of the best all-in-one PCM programmers are good for maybe 15hp, 20hp MAX. A custom burn may yield 25hp TOPS, but with no other mods, you'd be hard pressed.

Old 09-14-2006, 10:20 PM

ORIGINAL: swartlkk

Now, trans work, while shortening and firming up shifts, it will not increase the performance of the vehicle. It will result in less wear on the clutches, but not lower the hp loss through the transmission.

And some of the best all-in-one PCM programmers are good for maybe 15hp, 20hp MAX. A custom burn may yield 25hp TOPS, but with no other mods, you'd be hard pressed.

Now, firming up shifts might improve the 1/4 mile times SLIGHTLY without giving any horsepower, but would mostly serve the purpose of saving the transmission right? 14s??? in a Blazer? Im not sure who would want to let alone claim to be able to...

Old 09-15-2006, 09:44 AM
offroaddude77 is an unknown quantity at this point

call all the bs you want. i have a custom trans. no simple mods like a lot of people run. i have a custom servo not a corvette one. it doesnt shift out of 1st till 40. and other trans mods. i have 3.42 rearend. as the the pcm its a custom tune not a programer. and with the trans work we were able to squeze a couple more #'s out of the motor by adjusting the trans electronically. plus when i race i run a smaller tires in the rear for added traction and to give it a little more gear. Some of you people need to put your calculators away and learn to feel a car. ive learned that, cause every car is different even tho they are supposed to be the same. any way back to the subject its not bs lol

Old 09-15-2006, 09:56 AM

ORIGINAL: offroaddude77

call all the bs you want. i have a custom trans. no simple mods like a lot of people run. i have a custom servo not a corvette one. it doesnt shift out of 1st till 40. and other trans mods. i have 3.42 rearend. as the the pcm its a custom tune not a programer. and with the trans work we were able to squeze a couple more #'s out of the motor by adjusting the trans electronically. plus when i race i run a smaller tires in the rear for added traction and to give it a little more gear. Some of you people need to put your calculators away and learn to feel a car. ive learned that, cause every car is different even tho they are supposed to be the same. any way back to the subject its not bs lol

Good, then back it up with a dyno sheet and a timeslip... thanks...

Old 09-15-2006, 10:27 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Again, servo's/shift-kits/etc do not decrease the hp loss through an automatic transmission.

You come on here and your first post is bragging about a 14.7sec - 1/4 mile when we have a nitrous blazer (02 Vortech) using a progressive 100 shot nitrous system running 9.29sec - 1/8 mile which translates to about a 14.31sec - 1/4 mile. That's with 100shot of nitrous! Not just a tune with no supporting mods. The gears will help... some... But still haven't accounted for a full half second of ET. Again, what was your trap speeds in the 1/4? in the 1/8th? Your 1/8th time? 60' time?

Looks like someone took their expected hp and curb weight and threw it into an online calculator to me. Until slip(s) are produced, I stand with my BS call.

Old 09-15-2006, 10:47 AM

i didnt use an online calculator. anyways i cant find my timeslip from my july test and tune. im goin back this coming wed. to milan for a test and tune then ill put them up for u guys. Relax killers lol hahaha. look i know what u guys are sayin i said the same thing when i bought my blazer. but then i raced it stock and it ran a 16.5(cant find time slip) with nothing(not cai, filter nothing) ive done alot since then. for some reason my blazer is just faster than others. look say what you and you do have the right to put up a bs flag cause i cant find my timeslip. but no worries ill put it up next thursday.

Old 09-15-2006, 10:59 AM

for some reason my blazer is just faster than others.
'
Possiblilties...

1. Ancient Chinese spell
2. Liar
3. Somebody is sleeping with the time keeper-- was he desperate for a "dance partner"?

Old 09-15-2006, 11:12 AM

Possiblilties...

1. Ancient Chinese spell
2. Liar
3. Somebody is sleeping with the time keeper-- was he desperate for a "dance partner"?
lmao hahah that funny except for number 2. lol anyway 14.7 in a N.A. blazer is possible ill get the timeslip next week. 4.3 are faster little motors because of their Torque(which is what moves you) so change the trans to make better use of the torque curve is what i did. its not a normal trans at all. then with the pcm flashed to aid it even more. look theres things you can do to these motors to make them scream. hint hint dont cut the eye lid in the intake all the way out=bad bad. notch it and polish the SH*T out of that **** and the whole intake. then make a custom cia. HEAT WRAP It. AFTER I HEAT WRAPED IT AND PUT HEAT SHIELDS IN= awsome.

Old 09-15-2006, 11:24 AM
Administrator

Actually, let me retract my gear ratio statment. At 3.42, you're ratio is higher than my Bonneville (with 2.93) true, but unless you've picked up more than 50hp and 30lbft (which L67 motors are notorious for being underrated by GM), you are still behind me. A 3.42 is actually one of the worst ratio's found in a stock 4.3L blazer for 1/4 mile times.

You are sticking to your guns with that trans too... So what exactly did you do to it? Unless you changed the internal gear ratios, you haven't changed things that much to improve your times noticably. And as far as I know, there isn't anything available to change these ratios internal to the trans... Not to mention that a rear gear swap to say a 3.73 or 4.10 would have been much more cost effective and would have yielded better results.

And yeah, the 4.3L has good low end grunt, but at the expense of anything high end unless you do significant work to the motor to improve it's flow (which, in most cases, hurts your low end power).

But I'll ask again, what were your trap speeds in the 1/8th? and 1/4? How about your 1/8th time? 60' time?

Quick Reply: Blazer vs. Passat