Street N Strip Post your vacation driving stories, day at the track, breakdowns, safety issues, driving techniques, unique driving conditions, etc. STREET RACING STORIES ARE STRICTLY PROHIBITED.

Cam Change

Old 01-11-2006, 01:21 PM
blazingsadle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cam Change

I am thinking about a new cam and lifters in a 4.3 engine (regular) I have open right now. What kind of performance gains can be expected from the basic Edelbrock performer packaged cam and lifters. Yeah, I gues I can read their literature easy enough, but thats not always as accurate.

Old 01-11-2006, 07:02 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Cam Change

Actually, I have always found Edelbrock to be quite accurate with their specs. Now there is a +/- deviation given the age and wear-n-tear on an engine, but accurate none-the-less. If you wanted a better idea, you could get a copy of Desktop Dyno and put in everything for the stock engine/cam, then do the aftermarket cam and see the gains.

For added gains, the PCM should be updated to tap the full potential of the cam.

Old 05-26-2006, 03:03 AM
raidersfan is an unknown quantity at this point

does anyone know how desktop dyno works? is it cool or even neccessary for racing and building up horse power? how much does it cost?
any replies would be appreciated thanks! by the way i do not have a laptop, and is there a cable or anything you need to use it?

Old 05-26-2006, 07:25 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Desktop dyno is only a simulation software to see where changes will get you without actually making them for real and testing on a dyno. As far as computer requirements or cables, since it does not interface with the vehicle in any way, you only need to install it on your desktop (or laptop if that is what you prefer). You don't need to be anywhere near your car/truck to use the software.

As far as cost, well, run a google/yahoo/msn/whatever search on Desktop Dyno and I'm sure you'll come up with numerous vendors selling it. Prices range from $45 on up for the different versions/feature levels.