Street N Strip Post your vacation driving stories, day at the track, breakdowns, safety issues, driving techniques, unique driving conditions, etc. STREET RACING STORIES ARE STRICTLY PROHIBITED.

Driving I-95 (escaped collision)

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 01:06 PM
BF Veteran
EuroGoldLS is on a distinguished road
Default Driving I-95 (escaped collision)

Recently took a trip in my Blazer on I-95. I usually don't speed on that particular stretch of hwy b/c the state trooper really work it.
I got on the highway and the traffic was fairly light so I didn't have much trouble merging. I was running in the flow of traffic at about 70mph. I got halfway to my destination when a Kia Spectra changed lanes and struck an Isuzu Rodeo. I though I was in trouble then. The Spectra spun off into the inside lane (airbags deployed)and I locked em up. I could hear my ABS barking and I took the outside and missed her. Then the Isuzu was my problem, the impact blew out his left rear and he was fighting to regain control. I took the emergency lane off to the side and came to a stop, and so did the Isuzu. I reached for my phone and no quicker than I had dialed 911 a Trooper stopped behind me. I got out of my car and check on the guy in the Isuzu, he and his daughter were ok, the trooper ran across the highway and checked on the woman in the Kia. She was shaken and had a nosebleed from the force of the airbag. I checked with the trooper (he called for EMS) and Igave him a description of the incident. The trooper wrote the ticket and the collision report while I helped thedaughter of the Isuzu guychange the tire(he didn't know how to change a tire). I left shortly after that, but before I left I got the phone number of the girl in the Kia (she was hot LOL).

Have any of you guys seen a collision happen?

Old 04-23-2007, 01:30 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Driving I-95 (escaped collision)

I've witnessed more than a fair share of accidents on the highway. Most often caused by careless drivers, but quite a few that just happened.

One that comes to mind is when I had a semi truck I was along side of blow out 3 of the 4 tires on the drivers side of the drive axles. He must have run something over earlier in the day because I literally watched all three expell their casings at the same time! I was the lucky one and ended up ahead of the scene. One car behind the semi had one of the chunks of tread slapped into the windshield, breaking it, but not going through. The chain reaction after that ended up with 6 vehicles involved, one of which rear ended the semi causing quite a bit of damage to both the trailer and the pickup truck. The other vehicles involved were only minor damage from the chunks of tire that hit their cars. Still, most of them had busted headlights because of it.

I am a volunteer firefighter and have been for awhile now. As such, I have cleaned up a lot of accidents as well. There have been some more memorable ones there too.

Old 04-23-2007, 02:59 PM
speeddemon560 is an unknown quantity at this point

The problem with the big semi-tractor trailers is that the tires they use are retreaded. It's a lot cheaper to retread those tires than to buy new ones. So when the tread flies off the tire, its extremely dangerous. I always see the retreads on the shoulder of I-95 left by the big trucks.

Old 04-23-2007, 03:18 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Not all tractor trailer tires used are retreads. Quite a few trucking companies in my area have stopped using retreads for the simple fact that it isn't a matter of if, but rather when the tread will separate. And any tire can just give up its tread if improperly maintained, even more so with the design of heavily loaded tires. But to have 3 tires go all at the same time... Well, that's either lack of maintenance or something happened to them.

Old 04-23-2007, 05:52 PM
BF Veteran

I bet one went out and puctured the other two or maybe he had run over something. Ive seen two,the on I mentioned and Ive seen a car de-roofed when itrun under a semi. This was the older style trailer that didn't have the rails under the sides.The littleCorolla went under it and come out without a roof. Luckily the driver was short enough to avod beheadding and the passenger had the sense to duck and no one was hurt.

I really though I was screwed when that Kia went sideways though... Nearly wet myself.

Old 04-23-2007, 06:39 PM
iceflames11 is on a distinguished road

I am a volunteer firefighter and have been for awhile now. As such, I have cleaned up a lot of accidents as well.
Ditto.

Most recent I've seen was a blazer getting t-boned by a cavy and it flipped the blazer on its side. Crazy sh*t.

Old 04-24-2007, 01:30 AM
davtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant future

I saw a blazer on the side of I-84 this morning onmy way to work with the drivers side axle snapped and the tire was on a 45 degree angle. On the other side of the highway, on my way home, I saw a pickup with a whole wheel assembly missing and I saw it about 15 feet down the road. People drive like maniacs, talking on the cell phones, woman putting on makeup, I've even seen two people having an argument in sign language on the highway. Let's just say I satyed clear of them lol.

Old 04-24-2007, 12:18 PM
Dabber is an unknown quantity at this point

Had a good scare last nite. Let's just say the intersection at the end of our road has a high accident rate. Ok now we sitting there waiting on a red light and we were the first car in line, I hear a horn then screeching tires then all of a sudden SMASH. there was a minivan trying to turn down our street and was T-Boned in the passenger side, the minivan's rearend was coming around straight at us, so I told everyone to hangon put it in reverse only to realize that there was someone there within about a foot or two so in Park it went. we waited for what seemed an eternity. The Minivan came to a stop literally within an inch of the front end of my truck. Heart felt like it jump out of my chest.

Old 04-24-2007, 01:12 PM
BF Veteran

The only collision I've been in was at Topsail Beach in Onslow Co. NC. I was driving my dad home from the beach in his96Z71(he had a few beers), and a car in front of us slammed on brakes (without a signal) and so did I. I heard tires squeeling behind us and I moved up a few feet to keep from getting hit, but to no avail. The truck behind us slammed into our trailer hitch. We pulled off at the next street and the truck that rearended us (happened to be a brand new Silverado) was the worse for wear. The truck had a destroyed front bumper and a puctured radiator, the only damage we had was a bent ball on the hitch and a broken exhaust hanger. The woman driving said she would handle the damage to her truck herself and didn't want us to call the police (suspected she had an arrestwarrant). We left and told my mom that we had been in a wreckand she freaked out, demanding to see the truck. She went outside and said, where did you get hit at? We explained about the collision and she calmed down a bit. two weeks later we got a check in the mail from the woman for the hitch, and to this day we don't know how she got our address...

Old 04-24-2007, 08:14 PM
SDimeBlazerlady is an unknown quantity at this point

1 Accident i will never forget, i was 13 or 14 i was walking on the sidewalk near my school when i hear a motorcycle coming fast down a lil street(street used for school only) i heard it at same time a 66 chev wagon comin down Main St. Well Cycle hit front pass. side of Wagon and the guy on cycle went over hood of wagon....cycle was going at least 35mph and wagon at 25mph... it was a very bad accident..guy on cycle lived but coulda went otherway!

Quick Reply: Driving I-95 (escaped collision)