Street N Strip Post your vacation driving stories, day at the track, breakdowns, safety issues, driving techniques, unique driving conditions, etc. STREET RACING STORIES ARE STRICTLY PROHIBITED.

Driving I-95 (escaped collision)

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 09:26 PM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough
Default RE: Driving I-95 (escaped collision)

One accident I saw, the guy was talking on the cell phone, ran a red light, t-boned a taurus with a 1 ton chevy pickup... car was a write off, nobody got hurt...

Me and my friends were the only male witnesses, and the 3 women who witnessed it, said the guy was going at least 80km/h (speed limit is 50km/h).
And oooooohhhhh my god did I ever get the look of death when I told the officer I was doing 45km/h and catching up to the guy!

Old 04-24-2007, 11:45 PM
BF Veteran
EuroGoldLS is on a distinguished road

ORIGINAL: swartlkk

Not all tractor trailer tires used are retreads. Quite a few trucking companies in my area have stopped using retreads for the simple fact that it isn't a matter of if, but rather when the tread will separate. And any tire can just give up its tread if improperly maintained, even more so with the design of heavily loaded tires. But to have 3 tires go all at the same time... Well, that's either lack of maintenance or something happened to them.
Funny you mention retreads, I ran over one on the way home from school. When Iran it over( no room to swerve),it flew up and busted the lower valance on a black Ford Cougar behind me(one of my classmates). I was pissed. I stopped and looked at her (owner of the Cougar) valance and I told her she had some pretty bad damage. When I went to get back in my Blazer I noticed that my front tire was slack, I drove it home (only 3 miles) and checked the pressure. I had 15psi, and I usually run 38psi. I checked it for leaks, no go, couldn't find one. Pumped it back up and I hope it doesn't go flat again.

Old 04-25-2007, 06:56 AM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

Ya might've just popped the bead for a little bit... I did it a lot on my S10 and my Z34...

Old 04-25-2007, 11:44 AM
BF Veteran

Must have, but it made one horrible noise when I ran over it, I checked my chassis this morning and I can see where it slapped the paint off the frame. No biggy for me, Im getting new tires soon.

Old 06-19-2007, 12:44 AM
BrianMichaels1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Well I watched a guy in a '92 Silverado fall asleep on a long stretch of highway right in front of me and drift off the road into a ditch and flip 8 times. The truck landed upright with the passenger side of the roof completely flattened sparing his head by inches. Pulled over and ran over there and turned his ignition key off as it was billowing smoke. He was bloody and unconscious but alive and there was a marines sticker on the remaining corner of the windshield that was like a pass to get into the base. It took about 20 minutes for the ambulance to arrive way out there but when they did and had loaded him in it they let me know that they thought he would survive. There were pieces of that truck for easily half a mile.

Old 06-19-2007, 10:42 AM
Starting Member
viper4559 is an unknown quantity at this point

Here is one my best friend was in, no one knows what happened, whether it was speed and lost control around the curve, or he feel asleep.....

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x...9/IM000755.jpg
http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x...9/IM000754.jpg
http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x...9/IM000752.jpg

And this is all he had, bruises, a few very small broken bones in his cheek....nothing serious
http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x...9/DSCN0001.jpg

Old 06-19-2007, 02:17 PM
BF Veteran

Was that an S10? LOL Its amazing that all four tires are still fully inflated.

Heis very lucky to be alive.

Old 06-19-2007, 02:27 PM
Starting Member
viper4559 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah it was an '84 s-10 5-speed manual. Not too shabby besides all the rust lol. but it ran good. until it met the tree.

Old 06-19-2007, 06:31 PM
RCars2 is an unknown quantity at this point

The two worst ive seen were cars that flipped on the freeway. First one was on I-80, i think, traveling through Iowa. There was a 350Z that bounced off a Maxima and hit the center median and flipped over into oncoming traffic and landed on it roof. Luckily traffic was kinda lighter so the nearest vehicle was a semi and he purposely jack-knifed his rig to block all 4 lanes to stop traffic. Guy in the 350Z got airlifted out and ended up in critcal condition for a couple days but i heard that he made a recovery.

Other bad one i saw was a F150 that just randomly swerved into a ditch off the Loop 101 in Phoenix and nose dived the truck into a light pole causing the truck to bounce and flip a couple times.News said the guy died on impact with the pole. Agirl that i know who was best bud's with the guy (i didn't know the guy) said he wasnt right in the head and was somewhat suicidal and that might have explained it.

Old 06-19-2007, 09:34 PM
BF Veteran

ORIGINAL: viper4559

Yeah it was an '84 s-10 5-speed manual. Not too shabby besides all the rust lol. but it ran good. until it met the tree.
Oh, that explains it...a tree..

RCars2, I've seen the aftermath of accidents like that. We were on the way to Lake Mattamuskeet and we saw the carcass of a Maximathat had punched throught the cable divider in the median and flipped into a thankfully emptyeastbound lane. The guy was just sitting on the stretcherbehind the ambulancewith a expression on his face appropriate for boredom.

I've also seen what happens when a car hits the water at 70mph... (this was actually another Maxima driven by two ragheads.) the driver fell asleep and went perfectly in between the guard rails of the bridge over Holts pond. Rolled the hood back and busted the windsheild.

Quick Reply: Driving I-95 (escaped collision)