Street N Strip Post your vacation driving stories, day at the track, breakdowns, safety issues, driving techniques, unique driving conditions, etc. STREET RACING STORIES ARE STRICTLY PROHIBITED.

Missed passing opportunity.

Old 05-10-2010, 09:23 PM
shligger is on a distinguished road
Default Missed passing opportunity.

I go to my college every day of the week and come to an exciting road after a stoplight. After this light, there is 40 yard stretch that merges the two lanes from the light onto a narrow highway. Most people in the left lane move forward and most in the right take their right turn. Naturally, there's someone who wants to burn passed everyone.

On my bad days, I'll floor it and make the guy in the right lane earn his spot ahead. I've left a few drivers disgruntled several times who clearly didn't expect an SUV to be an equal. While my '96 Blazer is not fast, it's not significantly slower than most midsize sedans (and the stretch has a slight downward grade .)

Today, I was slowing down towards the red light in the left lane. I knew the light would be green soon and was ready to continue but noticed an all black, newer Mustang in the right lane. The windows were tinted, the rims were a glossy, black alloy giving the vehicle a mean look. I know my truck's pickup is decent but a man needs to know his limitations. As the light turns green, I'm slowly coasting instead of flooring it. I continue coasting, roughly ten feet behind the Mustang who has sat at the green light for a few seconds and realized his error.

As I keep going slow behind him, he sloppily moves off the line and misses second gear. He looked like a total chump. I realized then that I could have blown the doors off of a Mustang who was going to fumble his gears in front an SUV.

Did I make the right decision? Better luck next time?

Last edited by shligger; 05-10-2010 at 09:28 PM.
Old 05-10-2010, 10:11 PM
BlazerGuy2001 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by shligger
I go to my college every day of the week and come to an exciting road after a stoplight. After this light, there is 40 yard stretch that merges the two lanes from the light onto a narrow highway. Most people in the left lane move forward and most in the right take their right turn. Naturally, there's someone who wants to burn passed everyone.

On my bad days, I'll floor it and make the guy in the right lane earn his spot ahead. I've left a few drivers disgruntled several times who clearly didn't expect an SUV to be an equal. While my '96 Blazer is not fast, it's not significantly slower than most midsize sedans (and the stretch has a slight downward grade .)

Today, I was slowing down towards the red light in the left lane. I knew the light would be green soon and was ready to continue but noticed an all black, newer Mustang in the right lane. The windows were tinted, the rims were a glossy, black alloy giving the vehicle a mean look. I know my truck's pickup is decent but a man needs to know his limitations. As the light turns green, I'm slowly coasting instead of flooring it. I continue coasting, roughly ten feet behind the Mustang who has sat at the green light for a few seconds and realized his error.

As I keep going slow behind him, he sloppily moves off the line and misses second gear. He looked like a total chump. I realized then that I could have blown the doors off of a Mustang who was going to fumble his gears in front an SUV.

Did I make the right decision? Better luck next time?
you definitely missed an opportunity there...ive been smoked by mustangs a ton buy never smoked one, you should have taken advantage of his newbieness and passed him!

Old 05-10-2010, 10:38 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Let's be careful here. No street racing stories allowed.

Old 05-10-2010, 10:49 PM
cbr995 will become famous soon enoughcbr995 will become famous soon enough

I hate it when people make me earn the postition in a merge. That's annoying.

Old 05-11-2010, 01:03 AM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

my opinion........if the guy is making an effort to stay ahead of me-and he signals-i'll let him in.

just don't make me regret it!

Old 05-11-2010, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by rriddle3
Let's be careful here. No street racing stories allowed.
Oh, this is not intended to be street racing. I just don't like it when people try to pass everyone on a merge. To be fair, I'm incredibly unhappy when I'm the one who wants to get ahead.

Old 05-11-2010, 02:37 PM
Zerbla96 is on a distinguished road

ive beat some v6 mustangs... on uhhh the track of coarse

Old 05-11-2010, 03:46 PM
ChevyBlazerChick will become famous soon enoughChevyBlazerChick will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by cbr995
I hate it when people make me earn the postition in a merge. That's annoying.
I only do it when the guy is blatenly being a Tool, like when there's road construction... and they gun it up the lane that is closing. Gotta remind them that there are bigger badder vehicles that like to munch on them.

Old 05-11-2010, 03:53 PM
cbr995 will become famous soon enoughcbr995 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by old skool luvr
my opinion........if the guy is making an effort to stay ahead of me-and he signals-i'll let him in.

just don't make me regret it!
That's the worst! They get in front of you, and do 20 under.

Originally Posted by ChevyBlazerChick
I only do it when the guy is blatenly being a Tool, like when there's road construction... and they gun it up the lane that is closing. Gotta remind them that there are bigger badder vehicles that like to munch on them.
I'm guilty of shutting a tool like that. But then they start tailgating and crap. Whatever, It's not like I'm going slow. I normally cruise 5-10 over.

Old 05-11-2010, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by ChevyBlazerChick
While my '96 is quite as big and bad as a K5, I agree. They have to be patient like everyone else.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Missed passing opportunity.