Street N Strip Post your vacation driving stories, day at the track, breakdowns, safety issues, driving techniques, unique driving conditions, etc. STREET RACING STORIES ARE STRICTLY PROHIBITED.

LMAO at the transport driver...

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2020, 05:50 PM
Starting Member
daveca is on a distinguished road
Default LMAO at the transport driver...

Had the 95 S10 transported from the West Coast on a semi. When the driver arrived to unload it he was wide eyed with disbelief as he recounnted the story of him starting it up to load it on the trailer.

It's a beater with 285,000 miles ...

He got in it, fired it up and hit the gas pedal and it came unglued ..threw gravel all over the parking lot! He said people were shouting at him to let off of it..

He said " what did you do to that thing?"

I grinned and said..." Aw, not much, just hopped the ignition up a little. It's bone- stock under the hood.

An electronic engineering background is a fun thing sometimes.

One day I mashed it to get out in traffic and it lit up one tire and broke the transmission case. I dont mash it anymore!

Old 07-23-2020, 05:54 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by daveca
Had the 95 S10 transported from the West Coast on a semi. When the driver arrived to unload it he was wide eyed with disbelief as he recounnted the story of him starting it up to load it on the trailer.

It's a beater with 285,000 miles ...

He got in it, fired it up and hit the gas pedal and it came unglued ..threw gravel all over the parking lot! He said people were shouting at him to let off of it..

He said " what did you do to that thing?"

I grinned and said..." Aw, not much, just hopped the ignition up a little. It's bone- stock under the hood.

An electronic engineering background is a fun thing sometimes.

One day I mashed it to get out in traffic and it lit up one tire and broke the transmission case. I dont mash it anymore!

OK! I'll bite. Just what did you do to the ignition????

Old 07-23-2020, 07:22 PM
Starting Member
daveca is on a distinguished road

Ignition since GMs HEI have been higher energy, but " they" always screw up the secondary tuning with resistor wires and the wrong plugs. Resistor wires are a horrible Band -Aid that consumes a lot of ignition energy in an attempt to cover up fuel mixtures that are too lean. Improper combustion is the root cause of ignition misfire and electrical noise when the plug gap doesnt fire and the energy is dumped back into the charging system.

Metal core wires, all equal length, hand made, and matching the plug resistance to the coil. 065 " plug gaps, shaved ground electrodes, indexed, resistors tested and matched before installation...A few classic plug tricks.

The leaky intake manifold was removed, ground and reinstalled but other than that, its completely stock.

Did this to an old 750K Honda motorcycle along with carb balance, polished cylinder domes and an evil set of Accel Racing coils and a Dyna S ignition unit. That bike went from "wouldn't get out of its own fway" to literally dangerous to ride. It shifted at 15,000 RPM. I never found red line...too dangerous. The tach ran out of numbers at 15000.

The spark off those coils was 4 inches long.

Power is all about stuffing as much electrical current as possible in the cylinder and detonating the charge. That can get very dangerous. Cylinder heads can blow off...

Once built a too fuel level ignition for a Honda 250 ATC.. The spark was 5Kv at 1- 1/8 amp. It nearly killed me..

Auto ignitions are typically 3 mJ. This was 6000 joule pulse.

Last edited by daveca; 07-23-2020 at 07:44 PM.
Old 12-31-2020, 11:00 PM
Mods is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by daveca
Ignition since GMs HEI have been higher energy, but " they" always screw up the secondary tuning with resistor wires and the wrong plugs. Resistor wires are a horrible Band -Aid that consumes a lot of ignition energy in an attempt to cover up fuel mixtures that are too lean. Improper combustion is the root cause of ignition misfire and electrical noise when the plug gap doesnt fire and the energy is dumped back into the charging system.

Metal core wires, all equal length, hand made, and matching the plug resistance to the coil. 065 " plug gaps, shaved ground electrodes, indexed, resistors tested and matched before installation...A few classic plug tricks.

The leaky intake manifold was removed, ground and reinstalled but other than that, its completely stock.

Did this to an old 750K Honda motorcycle along with carb balance, polished cylinder domes and an evil set of Accel Racing coils and a Dyna S ignition unit. That bike went from "wouldn't get out of its own fway" to literally dangerous to ride. It shifted at 15,000 RPM. I never found red line...too dangerous. The tach ran out of numbers at 15000.

The spark off those coils was 4 inches long.

Power is all about stuffing as much electrical current as possible in the cylinder and detonating the charge. That can get very dangerous. Cylinder heads can blow off...

Once built a too fuel level ignition for a Honda 250 ATC.. The spark was 5Kv at 1- 1/8 amp. It nearly killed me..

Auto ignitions are typically 3 mJ. This was 6000 joule pulse.
... Jesus H Christ...
I know this is an older thread but could that similarly be done on something like a 99 with the crab style distributor? not to as severe a degree but atleast a small amount of cleanup.

Old 01-07-2022, 11:21 AM
Beginning Member
v8449 is on a distinguished road