Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Street N Strip (https://blazerforum.com/forum/street-n-strip-26/)
-   -   S10 run from Driver's seat (https://blazerforum.com/forum/street-n-strip-26/s10-run-drivers-seat-94815/)

error_401 03-27-2021 06:35 AM

Too bad. Things change but loosing the racetrack is a pity.

LesMyer 03-27-2021 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by error_401 (Post 732798)
Too bad. Things change but loosing the racetrack is a pity.

Thanks!

LesMyer 07-21-2021 10:51 AM

Took the plunge to start putting it back on the street. Obtained some 1 3/4 shorty headers to replace the long tube fenderwells and keep the exhaust inside the frame. This is so I can turn the front wheels sharply again and exhaust can be run out the back end. 1 3/4" tubes were necessary so the header flanges approximately fit the large square ports on my AFR heads. (1 5/8 tubes usually gets you d-shaped ports, and 1 1/2 tubes gets you round ports). My experience with the ball/socket shorty header collector flanges is that the bolts are always coming loose no matter what you do and they are in a VERY difficult place. Also the collector reducers provided really sucked. Since i don't expect to be uncapping headers, I ground off the flange on the end of the 3" collector and removed the flange ring. Then I had Flowmaster 3" to 2.5" reducers (with a nice gradual reduction in size) welded directly onto the ends of the header collectors. I also beveled the header port flanges with an air file to Felpro gasket width (which happens to be AFR exhaust port width). Now headers are about 8" longer. Bought two 45 degree mandrel bends in 2.5" tubing to slip onto the reducers, and this points the exhaust below the floor of the cab and to the rear of the vehicle. Had to trim a little of aluminum ears off the transmission (where flexplate cover typically mounts) for clearance for the long straight 3 to 2.5 reducers to fit without interference. I will use a band type clamps to connect the 45 degree elbows to the reducers so they will be removable in the future. My friend has the headers now in the paint shop at his work. He is burning the factory protective paint off the headers - then will bead blast them and run them through electroless nickel plating which is used for durability and corrosion resistance (but they happen to look pretty good too).

You may or may no know this, but S10 pickups have their stock fuel tank under the left front side of the box. This prevents running exhaust down that side. So the driver's side exhaust has to go over the crossmember and then turn to the right side immediately behind the transmission and then turn again and run parallel to the right side exhaust back to a common dual inlet/dual outlet muffler in front of the rear axle. Once pipes go over the rear axle the pipes can split again to the two sides of the bumper. I had such as system installed when I had my first shorty headers - all I had to do was order up the pre-bent system from Summit Racing = made for the specific headers on S10s. Unfortunately, they no longer make it. Furthermore, I threw away my original gas tank, sending unit, mounting bracket that attaches to the frame, the filler neck, and the attaching hoses so will need to source those again. I was going to try to put it all together using loose mandrel bends, loose straight pipe, and a modified mandrel bent tailpipe kit for big trucks, and a Magnaflow muffler. But I can see that I will need some small bends here and there to make things line up. So I have enlisted the aid of a local welding/exhaust shop I have used before for this and that. Guy is from Guatemala and has the cleanest nicest shop with first rate welding equipment and this dude really knows how to weld! But no English! His son translates for him. So will put the headers on after my buddy gets done plating them, load up a lot of pipes, and trailer it all over to his shop where they will let me be involved with the process.

Once I have exhaust out the back I can put plates back on and start having a little fun before putting a stock fuel tank back in and modifying the sending unit to use an external pump at a possible high flow rate. Going to plumb the fuel pickup through the big vent tube on the sending unit and put a fitting on it to adapt to my braided hose, Holley blue pump, and existing fuel system pieces. Looks like I'll be buying a new sending unit, a new tank, new straps/insulators, and a used support to frame bracket from somewhere.

Going to need some good sticky street tires that will be reasonably safe and not wear out too fast - guess I'll ask ChuckNTruck what he is using on his Blazer.

After that (this Winter) I will continue upgrading my cooling system since it never seems to cool enough for the street. I have purchased an AFCO dual-pass radiator that is specifically used for asphalt modified racing. I figure if it's good enough to cool a high-horsepower race car that races for some time, it should be sufficient to cool mine. Its a dual core, dual-pass with 3" wide tanks, 15" x 27" so 1/2" thicker than my current single core 1985 Corvette radiator which is mounted in the forward position. Since I don't currently have 1/2" between my Taurus fan and electric water pump, this will end up being a try and see fabrication. Maybe different water pump or fan or ???.

Also this Winter I need to replace my full spool with a new Eaton Posi carrier that I have purchased. Actually it's a Yukon Eaton-type 8.5" Posi carrier, but found a deal for only $300 so I went ahead and bought it.

Also need to put a much milder camshaft back in it, unlock the timing, take off the crank trigger, and go back to using a distributor with variable timing. I originally had a Comp XE274H, but added a windage tray long after it was broken in. So when I changed to my current Crower cam, I went to a solid flat tappet cam and used Howards direct lube lifters with the oiling hole in the face to help (especially during break in). Now I want to stay with a flat tappet solid because of lubrication when windage tray is in use (use of direct lube solid lifters) - so a Comp XS274S is virtually the same cam as original but in a solid flat tappet.

At some point I will need to put the windshield wiper motor back in (hope I can find it).

Lots of stuff to do. Good thing I am retiring at the end of next week!

error_401 07-22-2021 05:59 AM

Nice to hear your update and that the truck will stay with you. Looking forward to see the fabrication results.

LesMyer 07-23-2021 10:42 AM

Thanks!

Here are the new headers. My friend sent me a photo. This is electroless nickel plating (I really like it). He burnt the factory protective paint off in an oven and then media blasted. Then they go into a chemical bath for the electroless plating (no electricity - just chemical reaction). Idea of electroless nickel plating is not to make things pretty. Idea is for corrosion resistance and the wear resistance of an incredibly hard surface. Its a commonly used industrial process but definitely not something that you do at home because of the hazardous waste generated by nickel solutions (disposal cost) as well as the cost of the solution itself. Since this is done on brand hew headers, it also plates the inside of the tubes. You want to finish welding before plating. Heat will give a little color to the headers in spots, but it's a really rugged coating. I also think it makes them run cooler (like ceramic coating). Only problem can be keeping bolts secure that are tightened against a very hard, slick surface and tend to not dig in.

If you have ever put together a model car, you may find it interesting that electroless nickel plating is how they plate the plastic to look like chrome. Also things like cheap silverware is plated this way. Hard disks use it because the coating is extremely uniform in thickness since electrodes are not required. Oil drilling industry plates drilling tools this way for durability and corrosion resistance. Lots of interesting uses. Adding a small amount of other chemicals to the batch can change the properties quite a bit. The electroless nickel bath used for mine is for durability and corrosion resistance.

Tomorrow I will travel 90 miles each way to help my buddy get his invalid brother's car running again after having good old GM Passlock 2 security issues. But he has to buy me breakfast. We work on trading favors.

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/blazerf...6b1560fccb.jpg

DonL 07-23-2021 05:53 PM

Those are sexy!!!!!

very nice finish.... looking foward to the street version of you drag truck!

More shows? Or going to enjoy it?

LesMyer 07-25-2021 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by DonL (Post 735527)
Those are sexy!!!!!

very nice finish.... looking foward to the street version of you drag truck!

More shows? Or going to enjoy it?

Not sure what l'll do with it. I found shows to be pretty boring and its not perfect enough to win anything at a show. Maybe local cruises or just putzing about. Draws a lot of attention when I cruise my house development. But still planning on running sticky M/T DOT radials like ChuckNTruck. One never knows what opportunities might arise.

error_401 07-29-2021 03:59 AM

Your truck still has some serious racetrack history. And still a nice work with attention to detail and durability.

LesMyer 07-30-2021 11:42 AM

Thank you!

At least we will be able to hop in in and go to the local ice cream shop! And I can cruise past my neighbor's house who has a beautiful resto-mod 69 Dodge Charger. 440 engine with cam/headers/etc - a 4-speed car - very nice - worth a ton of money. Been trying to get him to take it to the race-track for years, but he doesn't seem to want to race with me! He's defiinitely not the type that would race on the street.

GeorgeLG 08-14-2021 12:22 AM

Les

The videos were fun, sorry your track closed. What type of competitive shooting? I shot conventional (Precision) pistol for a few years.

George