Suspension Tech Have a question about modifying your suspension? Ask it here.

Anyone recomend me a set of shockers

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2011, 08:07 AM
Beginning Member
v8 jago is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Anyone recomend me a set of shockers

Hi, Im looking to replace all 4 shockers on my blazer. Im looking for something thats strong enough for towing a race car on the trailor and tools and camping equipment etc, but i dont want a ride that is so firm that it feels like the shockers are solid bars and would like my comfort still.

Old 10-22-2011, 08:26 AM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

If you dont go off-road and like a good highway ride, I just bought a set of Monroe Sensatrac for the front and the wife and I like them a lot. Really tamed rough pavement.

Take-offs were about year old Delphi.. unknown what series.. they were still good if having full gas charge is an indicator but they were too firm and every expansion joint was felt.
- Some guys might like em that firm.. they're for sale cheap, no oil leak or rod rust.

Stay away from KYB GR2 though they're attractive at the price. Bought set for my TBird rear.. and they drive me nuts. Seem to be very temperature sensitive. Between ambient ? to 85 they're great. Above 85 they degrade fast. Till at 95 deg they feel worn out. And it's not because tires need balanced, either.

For the back I think you need a set of air-assists.

Last edited by pettyfog; 10-22-2011 at 08:33 AM.
Old 10-22-2011, 03:25 PM
Beginning Member
v8 jago is an unknown quantity at this point

Im not expecting to go off road but might have the odd little ride out but nothing to serious.
I was hoping to get a few views of other people to see what they have used or recomend.

Old 10-23-2011, 11:34 AM
Beginning Member
G_Doughty is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by pettyfog
If you dont go off-road and like a good highway ride, I just bought a set of Monroe Sensatrac for the front and the wife and I like them a lot. Really tamed rough pavement.

Take-offs were about year old Delphi.. unknown what series.. they were still good if having full gas charge is an indicator but they were too firm and every expansion joint was felt.
- Some guys might like em that firm.. they're for sale cheap, no oil leak or rod rust.

Stay away from KYB GR2 though they're attractive at the price. Bought set for my TBird rear.. and they drive me nuts. Seem to be very temperature sensitive. Between ambient ? to 85 they're great. Above 85 they degrade fast. Till at 95 deg they feel worn out. And it's not because tires need balanced, either.

For the back I think you need a set of air-assists.

Good call. KYB GR2 are cheap for a reason!

Old 10-23-2011, 05:32 PM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by G_Doughty
Good call. KYB GR2 are cheap for a reason!
That pi$$es me off. No excuse for a new shock to act like like that. Nitrogen's cheap and there's about 10 cents worth in a shock at most. That isnt the problem, though.. it's low quality shock fluid that would have foaming problems at below 140deg working {fluid in the shock is hotter in the valving section than the tube}, despite the nitrogen.

Before gas filled was common, those shocks would go around the block and drive right back in the door.

BTW: I used to work in the Delco shock plant.. that doesnt mean diddly though. just sayin'. Also worked at Inland .. steering wheels, suspension bushings and dash pads.. both became Delphi.

Old 10-23-2011, 08:31 PM
coolasice will become famous soon enough

I've got GR2s.. for less then $100 I did all four, am happy with it, rides much better then the old blisteens that were on it