Suspension Tech Have a question about modifying your suspension? Ask it here.

Best Leveling Kit for 1999 LS Blazer, 4 x 4

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 04:01 PM
Beginning Member
Docarch is on a distinguished road
Default Best Leveling Kit for 1999 LS Blazer, 4 x 4

We have a 1999 LS Blazer, 4x4. I recently put 235 tires on it as that was all I could get that were decent without special order & paying a lot more. However, the tires are extremely close to the mud flaps now at both the front & the back. The tire shop recommended putting a leveling kit on it that would level things out just an inch or so & that would solve the problem. However, they did not sell them & were unable to reach the person they tried to call about it. All I want to do is put a high quality leveling kit on it that will bring it up just an inch or so to give that clearance back. I took it to a local shop that wanted nearly $1000 with installation for a kit that they said was the only thing available for that vehicle & it would take it up 3.5" & would provide shackles, springs, shocks, etc. However, the shocks are brand new & I don't want to take it up another 3.5" so I looked on line, but I am confused. The prices are good, but then I read comments about many of them not being fully compatible & modifications, etc. being needed after all is said & done. I want to try & avoid this. Can anyone recommend a reasonably good quality leveling kit that is reasonably priced as well (since I have been laid off for a few years now with no good steady work like the last 38 years of work) & that will just bring it up to the original clearance over those ever so slightly larger tires & is truly made for this vehicle so the installation goes fairly smooth for me & does not require modification? Thank you.

Old 02-17-2015, 04:08 PM
Super Moderator
rexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura about

Search "tbar crank and shackle lift" on here. You can do it yourself for about $50 plus the cost of an alignment when your finished!

Old 02-17-2015, 08:11 PM
TMR_BLAZER is on a distinguished road

have you considered a body lift? you will gain 2 inches and the price is about 180$ for the kit. I installed mine in about a day and have put about 5000 miles on it with zero issues.

Old 02-17-2015, 08:22 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Tires should be 235-70-15, might want to double check that on the sticker in the door jamb New replacement rear springs installed are ~$450 to $500. Adjusting the front torsion bars to factory specs, and a wheel alignment, should be ~ $100. That will put ride height back to where it should be.

Old 02-19-2015, 11:54 AM
Beginning Member

Thank you for the replies, I really appreciate it. Does anyone know the proper way to tweak the torsion bars to get an extra 1-1.5" which would probably be more than sufficient for the 235 tires I had to install?
If not, the body lift might be the best bet as I have had SS Nerf Bars on it since day one along with the mudflaps, hitch kit, & other protectors. Can anyone recommend a real good, but reasonably priced body lift to get 2" max as I think 1-1.5" will be fine, but the search indicated the body lifts started at 2"? The torsion bars were allegedly worn out upon an inspection (by the big cast in stone operation)a few years ago when I was having some tire issues. They replaced the torsion bars & you know now that I am thinking about it the vehicle seemed to ride lower after that. Of course I succumbed to their insistent that I needed new shocks as well which I certainly believe was true, but we went round & round about the shocks they ended up putting on which in my opinion were not as good as the shocks I had installed in the past & on my Jeep myself for much less money, but they insisted the Blue shocks were the best ones for that vehicle.
The initial search seemed to indicate potential problems with the "tbar crank and shackle lift" unless I misunderstood that.

Old 02-19-2015, 05:51 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Post #4 in this thread gives the procedure for adjusting the torsion bars: https://blazerforum.com/forum/liftin...r-crank-88814/

Old 02-19-2015, 10:25 PM
LeWhite will become famous soon enough

235 will fit with no lift at all. Read your door jam. If your mud flaps rub,remount them.

Old 02-20-2015, 08:09 AM
TMR_BLAZER is on a distinguished road

other wise performance accessories is the body lift i used for 180$.
cranking your torsion bars for height will increase wear on many components and will ride like sh*t. trust me I know. I only adjusted mine to gain 1.25 inches and now I need ball joints and cv shafts, plus my ride quality blows.

but the body lift did not change ride comfort at all, and will not increase any wear on suspension parts.

Old 02-20-2015, 10:58 AM
Beginning Member

Thank you for all of your responses, I really appreciate it. OK, I was under the impression the minor torsion bar tweaking was the safest route to take, especially relative to what I want to accomplish. Now I am thinking I better not go out & do that today like I initially considered. Is there a particular body lift that everyone recommends that is high quality & reasonably priced?
Yes, I understand the door jamb tag. Although the mud flaps WERE INSTALLED BY THE DEALER when the vehicle was new apparently & have been fine all these years the manager at the tire store said they would not warrant the Michelin tires with the mud flaps installed. She stated that the use of the 235's for this vehicle were questionable in the Michelin book. She also was the one that recommended the leveling kit & if I had that installed & reinstalled the mud flaps then everything would be fine. The mud flaps were never actually rubbing & I felt there should be no issue, although it was close, but they have always been close with that particular style of mud flap (which I don't really like as I prefer what is on my jeep or truck), but that is what the dealer installed & they have worked for many years with no issues. I cannot afford to not have a warranty on tires due to some issue made by one person that has a major impact on all that (kind of like the tire police I guess).
Thanks again for the news on the tweaking as I thought that was the answer & was prepared to get the job done today at no cost as I have a deal with the cast in stone folks on life time alignment service. I will go out & start researching the body lifts again now & in the mean time if anyone has any good recommendations, please do let me know. Thank you all again.

Old 02-20-2015, 12:03 PM
Beginning Member

IN addition to the above after doing some further research on all of this I remember something else. As I recall when we purchased this Blazer there was a note that there were three different suspension options available. If I recall they were standard, touring, & off road or something like that. Ours had off road if I recall. I am wondering if when the chain operation cast in STONE folks replaced the torsion bar last year because they claimed there was too much were that they put a different part on than what was originally there (kind of like what I still believe they did to the shocks) & that is what caused the ride to feel a little lower. Any thoughts on that in addition to the above or am just out on a lark? Thanks

Quick Reply: Best Leveling Kit for 1999 LS Blazer, 4 x 4