Suspension Tech Have a question about modifying your suspension? Ask it here.

Cant get shackle bolts out!

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 07:07 PM
flyinbrad is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cant get shackle bolts out!

I tried to install lift shackes today. I got the nuts off the end of bothbolts that hold thepassanger side shackle on. I twisted and hammered and put more or less pressure on the springs and could not get the bolts out. I guess they are stuck in the rubber bushings. I sprayed them down with PB blaster and will keep spraying them this week and try again next weekend. Any other suggestions?

PS: I took off the add-a-leafs. WOW rides like a Cadillac compared to before. Shackles are the way to go!

Old 10-02-2007, 02:19 PM
Starting Member
stevelknievel is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Cant get shackle bolts out!

i had the same problem with my chevy. the bolts get seized to the metal sleeves in the bushings. i ended up using a oxy-acetylene torch to cut the bolts off and got new bushings.
and this is why i haven't made a set of shackles yet lol

Old 10-02-2007, 02:35 PM
99 Blazer 4x4 is an unknown quantity at this point

Best bet imo would be to buy new bushings and heat em' up and knock them out like stevelknievel said. Although your probably gonna end up having to use the good ole torch to heat them up and knock em' out. I have had to do this before and ended uptorchin' the bushings though but none the less got em' out.

Edit BTW make sure you have a fire extingusher close by.

Old 10-02-2007, 02:40 PM
Starting Member
stevelknievel is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: 99 Blazer 4x4

Best bet imo would be to buy new bushings and heat em' up and knock them out like stevelknievel said. Although your probably gonna end up having to use the good ole torch to heat them up and knock em' out. I have had to do this before and ended uptorchin' the bushings though but none the less got em' out.

Edit BTW make sure you have a fire extingusher close by.
for me i had to actually cut the bolts with the torch

and i agree make sure theres a fire extinguisher around haha i caught my garbage can on fire lol

Old 10-03-2007, 01:47 PM
Millertime21 is an unknown quantity at this point

I just used a drill to get the old bolt/bushing out. I just drilled around the outside of the bushing and then took a hammer and knocked it out. took no longer than 10mins.

Old 10-03-2007, 01:56 PM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute

Hahaha, Miller I just realized from your CarDomain page that you took the 'R' off of Blazer on your emblem.

Old 10-04-2007, 06:55 PM

ORIGINAL: TripleBlackBlazer

Hahaha, Miller I just realized from your CarDomain page that you took the 'R' off of Blazer on your emblem.
Yeah, the previous owner actually did that. I thought it was pretty funny so I left it.

Old 10-09-2007, 03:28 AM
BF Veteran
thegr81 is on a distinguished road

yea were the "r" was taken off thats pretty cool nice ride by the way its pretty sweet thats a nice lift on it.

Old 10-09-2007, 06:57 PM

ORIGINAL: thegr81

yea were the "r" was taken off thats pretty cool nice ride by the way its pretty sweet thats a nice lift on it.
Thanks

Old 10-11-2007, 10:30 PM
BF Veteran
thegr81 is on a distinguished road

i bit on your emblems i took my r's off of mine i think it looks pretty cool now and my friends who have blazer's are going to do it i think its going to be trend now just like toyota's were people take off the ota part to just say toy

Quick Reply: Cant get shackle bolts out!