Suspension Tech Have a question about modifying your suspension? Ask it here.

CV Boot

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 11:29 AM
RCars2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default CV Boot

Well it was inevitable but i finally broke something with my torsion bar crank, my boot over my cv shaft tore last night. I'm picking up new boots for both sides tonight but my question is what can i be expecting in terms of tear down to look for or any issues that i may face. Im gonna have my dad and my buddy help me so i think we can figure out how it all goes together but if someone has a tutorial that would be awesome too. And yes kyle, i did do a search first (albeit a quick one) to see if there is any "logged" issues as it were so dont rip me a new one please, LOL j/k. I did see it was suggested i replace the whole shaft as opposed to just the boot. This does sound somewhat sound and i may hold off on the boots and get the shafts instead but i want to know what i need to look for to determine just how much wear is existing and if i need to go with shafts or not. I'm not trying to sound cheap but im on a crunch budget at the moment so im trying to save a buck or two. At any rate, any help or suggestionsare appreciated.

Old 07-20-2007, 11:51 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: CV Boot

Well, this isn't all that common of a problem, so no ripping necessary.

Onto your dilemma. It really is easier to just replace the whole shaft than just the boots. #1, the split boots you can buy may work on a honda, but for our application, there already is more flex at stock height. Push it up a bit and those split boots will tear apart in a matter of days.

Now, if you are going full on replacement boots, you really have to have the proper tools for the job to do it correctly and have it last. This will require the full disassembly of the CV joint being repaired. All of the old grease will have to be removed which requires the removal of the cage, all of the *****, and the inner race. Typically the boot kits come with pre-measured grease. The factory used as swage clamp on the small end of the boot, and a crimp clamp on the large end. These require special tools to install.

Old 07-20-2007, 12:08 PM
RCars2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: CV Boot

......New shafts it is, LOL. I was actually going to get the full boot initially vs the half boots (even i know those suck the big one) but if it means that i gotta disect the whole darn thing then im just gonna get new shafts then, might as well right? Thanks Kyle, I appreciate it.