Suspension Tech Have a question about modifying your suspension? Ask it here.

Front axle swap

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 12:11 AM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Front axle swap

ORIGINAL: bluecoot

Has anyone done a front axle swap on there blazer. I was thinking about it because the chevy front end just plain sucks I think. I know you would have to use a jeep axle. Dont know about what leafs to use and dont know if I have to lift the rear. Does anyone know if anybody sells a kit. Im assuming that you have to use different steering box but not sure. I think in the long run it would be worth it. Thanks
Too answer the original questions.
You need a drivers side drop front axle, unless you swap your t-case to a passenger side drop. Common donor trucks would be Jeeps, Early Broncos for something in the same general width, 60".
You can use Chevy S10-Blazer rear leaf springs, get two sets and you add the center leave to the pack. In essecnece you have two center leafs in the pack.
No one curently sells a SAS kit for the S10-Blazer, there used to be a company that did. You can copy thier design if you would like.
Depending on how oyu set up your front axle you may need a 2wdr Astro van steering box. It will bolt in place, and you can use a Jeep drop pitman arm to connect it to the Heep axle. You can also modify it for power assisted steering, ram assist.
Everything for this SAS is custom. You have to weld up the brackets. This is not the place to learn to weld. Google SAS S10-Blazer.

Old 10-22-2007, 09:42 AM
Beginning Member
ndekens is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: Hanr3

Even has drivers sdie drop, not all years so look.
What is a drivers side drop?

Old 10-22-2007, 09:55 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

A driver's side drop refers to the location of the front driveshaft. On our trucks, the front driveshaft is located on the driver's side.

Old 10-22-2007, 10:48 AM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

Another plus with the axle swaps... You'll have a whole crap load more rim selection...

How different do ya figure the swap would be between first gen and second gen, if at all?

Old 10-22-2007, 06:40 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

it would be the same. The frame didn't really change over the years, only the body.
there are some minor things that did change over the years, the frame boxing went further back in more recent model years. Early years it ended by the tranny cross brace, later model years it ends by the rear hump. Anti-sway bar changed. The removeable cross brace between the engine and tranny got permantely removed. but for all practical purposes for a SAS all S10-Blazer frames remained unchanged over the 20 some year life span.

Old 10-29-2007, 03:32 PM
RCars2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hanr3 you are seriously my hero. You answered about 10 different questions about my planning for doing a SAS. Now i just gotta go find me some axles locally for cheap. The second part of that equation being the key point, LOL.

Old 10-29-2007, 06:51 PM
BF Veteran

Hero, hardly. Done a ton of research for the past couple years.

I have been collecting parts as well. I am in no hurry to collect them. I still have a couple kids to get through college and out into the real world, then I should have some play money again. Till then I collect parts when the opportunity is right, like free or damn near. I have a line on a free GM 10 front axle, and maybe a 2wdr SM465 manual tranny for $25. I also picked up a couple Lawnboy push mowers this past month for free. I got those two and a riding mower to get into operational shape by spring so I cna sell them and get some more mod money. As long as I dont use the family budget money I can collect parts under the wifes radar.

Edited to add: I asked the wife and kids to pay for a welding class at the local community college and give me some cash for steel. I am going to weld up some rock sliders, bumpers and stuff like that for practice. Plus the class meets 3 hours per week and all we do is weld on scrape steel. I got a plan, just need to work it. Trying to safe up some cash to buy the trailer off my neighbor. I might be able to work a deal with him where I work off the cost of the trailer.