Suspension Tech Have a question about modifying your suspension? Ask it here.

Front Single Axle Camber?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 08:19 AM
oisinirish is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Front Single Axle Camber?

Hi all,
I have recently purchased an '86 K5 4X4. Looking at the front end it is obvious that there is positive camber.
I have replaced the ball joints and tie rod ends just because they needed it one side.Axle bearings seem to be okay. I know on the newer chevys there is a cam for adjustment of the upper control arm. This truck is a single axle without control arms. How does one adjust the camber on this vehicle?

Old 01-27-2009, 09:25 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Front Single Axle Camber?

You can change it, however it involves either installing a sleeve in the upper ball joint or a shimmed plate behind the spindle where it bolts to the steering knuckle.

I would disassemble the whole spindle and check the spindle itself for signs of being bent or broken. You can put a level or angle finder across the flange that the spindle bolts to to see what it is set at.

*EDIT* - Here is a site that lists how to adjust the camber in the D30 and D44 axles. Your truck probably has a Corp 10-bolt, but the steering knuckle design is very similar.

http://www.jeepfan.com/projects/camber-adjustment.htm

Old 01-27-2009, 09:53 AM

Ok, Had the spindle off without measuring I put it back rotated 180 degrees. The is no change in the camber. So this leads me to believe that the spindle is not bent. The camber is a noticeable amount...probably 2 degrees or so. I figured by rotating the spindle 180 I should be able to see a difference is the problem is in the spindle. Sound reasonable?

Old 01-27-2009, 10:40 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Bent axle tube??

It is also possible that someone has already put a camber kit in for the upper ball joint and it is not adjusted properly?? Did you notice anything when you replaced the ball joints?

Old 01-27-2009, 10:49 AM

It did not appear that there was a camber kit in the ball joints. I tried both the new and existing sleeves and the result was the same.
Axle tube? God I hope not. Didn't even consider that. Thanks for the nightmares. I better go check.

BTW. To install the camber correction sleeves the ball joint needs to be removed or does it go in from the top?

Old 01-27-2009, 11:05 AM
Administrator

I believe it goes down from the top.

Old 01-28-2009, 01:23 AM
bandidolenny is on a distinguished road

Is this only on one side? When you say "positive" camber do you mean the tops of the tires lean in or out? Are you looking at them when they are pointed strait? If someone did some stunt driving you could have a bent housing. If so its not the end of the world, those front axles areplentiful and should be pretty easy to find.

Old 05-13-2009, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by bandidolenny
Is this only on one side? When you say "positive" camber do you mean the tops of the tires lean in or out? Are you looking at them when they are pointed strait? If someone did some stunt driving you could have a bent housing. If so its not the end of the world, those front axles areplentiful and should be pretty easy to find.

Sorry to resurrect this one...but with most of the body work done it's on to bigger and better things.
By positive camber I meant that the tops of the wheels lean outward. If the axle tube was bent shouldn't the tops of the wheels be leaning inwards? Unless someone tried to jump the vehicle while it was chained to the ground I can't imagine bending the tubes downward at the spindle? Unless maybe got high centered on something and the front diff??

Old 05-13-2009, 03:23 PM
Administrator

Actually, you can almost see it in your signature image...

Sounds like someone has put in a camber adjustment kit and has it way out of whack...

Old 05-13-2009, 03:58 PM

Yeah. When I replaced the ball joints though there were normal straight sleeves in there and the new ones didn't change anything. Nor were there any shims on the spindle. The shop manual indicates shims are to be used so that's probably what I'll try first. I'll set a "smart level" on it and see how far off it is. I'll post back with findings.

Quick Reply: Front Single Axle Camber?