Suspension Tech Have a question about modifying your suspension? Ask it here.

Front Sway Bar Hits the Ground when Disconnected

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2013, 06:15 AM
Starting Member
HostileJava is on a distinguished road
Default Front Sway Bar Hits the Ground when Disconnected

So last night I disconnected my two sway bar end links on the front in anticipation of going off-roading today. I came out this morning to find the sway bar ends touching the ground so I re installed the end links. My concern is of course that if I disconnect them again when I get to the park that it will drop and catch. Is this simply a problem with the body bushings needing to be replaced, if not what needs to be done to fix this issue if I want to disconnect them? Also I replaced my stock ones with moog and when I pulled them off noticed some slight rubbing up top, I had them installed with the bolt head on the bottom(longest part facing up) like the stock ones where, but I re installed them reversed to see if that makes a difference, anyone know the correct way to install these?

Old 08-24-2013, 07:02 AM
rexazz2 will become famous soon enough

I would be tempted to tie it up with wire, cable tie or a bungy cord
Last thing you want to happen is it to hook in if backing up
Unless really hard core twisting , removing just the link on one side might be adequate

Old 08-24-2013, 07:24 AM
KM346 will become famous soon enough

I would swing it all the way around and bungee cord it to the brush guard on my Jimmy. FWIW you can always just remove it completely its not really much more work.

Heres a pic of how i did it:

Its definitely worth it when offroad to get the most articulation out of the IFS. I found that there was VERY little droop, but you could get some decent compression.

Attached Thumbnails Front Sway Bar Hits the Ground when Disconnected-sdc10436.jpg  
Old 08-24-2013, 10:57 AM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

I just tied mine up as well.

Old 08-25-2013, 08:32 AM
Starting Member

Thanks guys, I left it connected when I went yesterday, but will try disconnected next time, I didn't have any issues really this way. Any comment on the correct installation of the end links?

Old 10-19-2013, 11:16 PM
Beginning Member
87blazer4x4 is on a distinguished road

take the sway bar off all together they are worthless unless your building a 2wd hotrod you will loose about 40lbs and it will handle better and on the first gens you will gain ground clerence

Old 10-20-2013, 05:37 AM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by 87blazer4x4
take the sway bar off all together they are worthless unless your building a 2wd hotrod you will loose about 40lbs and it will handle better and on the first gens you will gain ground clerence
I don't know about handling better, I noticed a huge improvement in handling on the street when I replaced both endlinks because of a broken one.

Old 10-20-2013, 07:32 AM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

dangerous on the road without it. dont remove it permenently

Old 10-20-2013, 02:24 PM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

I left mine unhooked on the road once, SOOO much body roll. Mind you I did remove the rear completely though.

Old 10-20-2013, 04:48 PM
Beginning Member
87blazer4x4 is on a distinguished road

Ive never driven a second gen with no sway bars but on a first gen i dont notice a diffrence but then again my s10 has a 2.8 I dont drive it very hard on road lol. I didnt know you guys planned on racing mustangs and corvetts in your blazers on the way to the trail. I have a 400 horse 4 speed 1977 c10 for that, I put a 1-3/8s belltech sway bar on that and it corners like a bat outta hell now but it takes the bumps in the road like a tank.

Quick Reply: Front Sway Bar Hits the Ground when Disconnected