Suspension Tech Have a question about modifying your suspension? Ask it here.

helper springs

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 12:18 PM
Beginning Member
gswbbc is on a distinguished road
Default helper springs

Has anyone added any helper springs to their S10 Blazer? We are looking at getting a pop up trailer and I was thinking I might need some to keep the vehicle level.

Old 06-26-2012, 12:25 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If you are loading a pop-up camper properly, you shouldn't have more than 100lbs on the tongue.

Besides that, there are many people that have used helper springs (either the add-a-leaf or coil over shocks) or air-adjust shocks to bolster the load carrying capacity of the back end of their truck a bit. The nice thing about the air-adjust shock is that you can add air when you need the extra capacity then take it out to get better ride quality when you don't. Just carry a small 12V air compressor with you and you're set.

Old 06-26-2012, 02:43 PM
Starting Member
dano440 is on a distinguished road

I have installed a set ofSuperior RideEFFEX™ - Leaf Helper and they done a good job for me so far the only complaint is with no load on the back sometime it a little bouncy. (Example RR tracks, dip in road & bridges) other than that it great.

Old 06-26-2012, 03:20 PM
Beginning Member

The pop up weighs about 2500 lbs loaded so I am looking to put about 250-300 lbs. on the Blazer. I will also have a couple hundred lbs. in the back. The helper leaves look like they would work, I just don't want to screw up the empty ride to bad.

Old 06-26-2012, 03:46 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I towed a pop-up for years. I always knew that if I couldn't lift the tongue, I didn't load it right. Too light is a problem as well because the trailer can get a mind of its own on you, but between 100 & 200lbs tongue weight was always the sweet spot for my old pop-up and it was right around 2500lbs loaded as well.

Old 06-26-2012, 07:25 PM
Beginning Member

Swartlkk how did you like camping with the pop up? I have always been a tent camper but with two little kids it is kind of a hassle. Going to give a pop up a try.

Old 06-26-2012, 08:53 PM
Administrator

My family used to always use a pop-up while I was growing up. We've now moved on to larger things.

This was my old pop-up that we last used in '09:

It was my parents before we took it over and now it's my sisters. It was bought new in '89 if I remember correctly.

This is what I currently have:

It's a 2003 Starcraft Travelstar 19CK. It's a heck of a lot easier to setup!