Suspension Tech Have a question about modifying your suspension? Ask it here.

lift kits???

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 06:53 PM
dimone545 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default lift kits???

hey everyone does anyone know of a place that makes lift kits bigger than the damn 5 and 6 inch ones Ive been finding?? want to go around 8-10 inches on my 96 s10blazer 4x4. Thanks for the feedback

Old 09-11-2008, 08:09 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about
Default RE: lift kits???

uh...why? What kind of tires are you planning on running? And with the size i'm assuming you're wanting to go with, you do realize that your axle shafts, differentials, brakes and driveshafts won't do much good if they don't shatter.

If you really think you want to go that big, your looking at a SFA swap, SOA in the rear, then either blocking or getting full lift kits for your new axles. Definitely going to be all custom-fab.

Old 09-12-2008, 06:24 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

^^Yep^^

As stated, you are looking at completely custom to go that tall with an s-series truck. You will definitely have to do a solid front axle up front, spring over axle in the back, and custom springs at both ends to get that kind of lift. You will definitely be sourcing stronger axles than what you have currently as well.

Old 09-12-2008, 11:24 AM

why would I need all that?? I dont agree! People run 6inch suspension with 2 inch body all over the place without all those extra heavy duty parts I just hate body lifts they are horrible for offroading. Body has to be reajusted consistantly. Maybe ten is to much but 8 should be no problem. 33" tires might need gear changing and brakes but completley swapping out axles sounds like over kill to me.

Old 09-12-2008, 11:35 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You need all of that because NO ONE makes over a 6" lift kit for the s-series suvs. It is by far easier to do a SFA/SOA fab than it is to fabricate all of the intricate brackets and reinforcements to keep the IFS setup that these come with stock and do an 8" lift. Not to mention the limited gear selection you have for the stock front axle. Also, the stock suspension does not offer much travel for the front.

Swapping axles does more than just give you the lift you need... If the proper axle is selected, it brings a better selection of strong, quality, and often lower cost parts.

Old 09-12-2008, 01:08 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

No 33's wont cause problems...but why would you want to only run 33s with 8-10' of lift? Without a long arm kit (that no one makes for s trucks) you still have very limited suspension travel. Making the 33s very undersized for your desired lift. Once you go bigger than 33s...you're going to blow out your front 2-piece axle shaft. A common upgrade is to go with a Bravada's 1-piece shaft..but finding one and then installing, to still thennnn be limited by the aluminum front differential. THEN you'd be stuck with way too high pinion angles for these driveshafts/diffs. We can keep going if you want..

Old 10-02-2008, 12:11 PM

so what your saying is that I should just go with 6 inch suspension and 2inch body??? LOL How much would it cost to swap out everything for bigger?? can I fing what I need at a junk yard??

Old 10-02-2008, 05:09 PM
BF Veteran

If you go with the 6' kit and the 2' BL, you're still looking at a max of 33s. If you want to go SFA, yea you can find all the parts in a junkyard, but it won't be one stop shopping. You'll need the front and rear axles (usually a Dana from a Jeep and a Ford rear end are the common swaps) with matching gears. Then you'll need to upgrade the front 2-piece axle with a Bravada 1-piece axle shaft and tube. Then you'll probably need an Astro van's steering box if you're going with very large tires. Then of course you'll need brake lines, end links, sway bar, etc...all probably going to be custom fit/made. And I know I'm forgetting a whole lot.

Thennnnn you're looking at driveshaft/u-joint upgrades to handle the higher pinion angles, all the brackets to mount the front axle will be custom...

You definitely need to know your way around a suspension system to do this on your own...

Old 10-04-2008, 05:43 AM
mad_blazer is an unknown quantity at this point

Doesn't Superlift make a 6" inch kit? Rocky Mountain Suspension dot com has pics too. But yeah these trucks suck for huge lifts. Go Full Size LOL

Old 03-26-2009, 04:27 PM

I do have a full size dodge, but I want to have something for trails and since I already picked this up cheap and its 4x4 figured I would use it for a weekend toy. I am now content with doing a 5 or 6 inch suspension lift, I just think that 2000 bucks and up is ridiculous for the kit, I keep seeing posts from people saying they can get the lift for around 1200 does anyone know where the hell that is? Or is it even possible? I am friends with the owner of cognito motorsports and he makes lifts for full size chevys I just dont think I would feel right hitting him up to help me fab one up for my truck just to save a buck.

Quick Reply: lift kits???