Suspension Tech Have a question about modifying your suspension? Ask it here.

popping noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2006, 06:48 PM
psyco1887 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default popping noise

when i make a turn or go over a bump this loud popping noise happens. it isn't at every turn just when i go fast into a turn. like when i give sideways pressure on the tires. the noise is coming from the front passenger side.
i thought it might be the ball joints going out of place but i jacked the truck up and tried to shake the tire and there wasn't any movement.
i thought it might be the cv joints but i had a mechanic friend check them and he said it would be a grinding noise. and the cv joints were fine.
i am at a loss.
could it be shocks?
or could it be something do do with the 4 wheel?
has anyone else had this problem?
someone told me i would need a new front axle and i want to avoid that.

Old 01-25-2006, 07:08 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: popping noise

Ball joints are a common problem on the S10s and blazers specifically. Some have good luck and don't have problems, but others have nothing but problems. I can say is that all aftermarket balljoints are NOT created equal. I haven't figured out what the best of the bunch are, but I'm nearing my second balljoint replacement on the drivers side, and they are warrantied. The problem I have with them is that these started to make noise after 2 months. Mine came from Advanced with a lifetime warranty. I'll try them again, but if they fail this time, I'm going elsewhere.

The other thing that this *could* be is the hood hinge at the back of the hood near the windshield. I recently put a conical washer onto mine to maintain pressure between the two halves of the hinge. To verify this is it, take a rag and bunch it up under the back edge of the hood. Do not bind the hood up too much, but just enough to put pressure on the hinge bolt. Take it for a test drive and see if the noise is still there. This was 1/2 the problem with my Bravada and took away a lot of the popping noise.

Also, please put the year/model/engine/drivetrain (ie. '93 LT 4.3L 4wd, etc) of your truck in your posts or in your signature. That will give us a better idea of exactly what needs to be done.

Old 01-25-2006, 11:04 PM
91_4_Door is an unknown quantity at this point

park your truck and rock it side to side. if it still does it check your sway bar bushings and end links. You can also check the shocks, make sure they sre tight.

Old 01-25-2006, 11:10 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

+2 on the sway bar end links. Very easy to check. And now that its mentioned, makes perfect sense.

Old 02-27-2006, 10:12 PM
psyco1887 is an unknown quantity at this point

well i figured out what my popping noise was
it turned out to be my right cv joint.

Old 03-20-2006, 01:35 AM
powwowblazer is an unknown quantity at this point

how much did the cv joint replacement cost. is it easy. how did you figure it out. I have the same noise on my 98

Old 04-10-2006, 04:09 PM
Kein_mitleid is an unknown quantity at this point

yeah i am haveing the same problem too it does seam pretty common

Old 05-18-2006, 01:50 PM
GreenStem is an unknown quantity at this point

are the sway bar end links supposed to be torqued on tight or loose?
the book says 150 in-lbs ....

Old 05-18-2006, 01:58 PM
Administrator

Sounds close. Mine lists 11ftlb (132inlb). I tighten them up until I get a nice squeeze on the bushings.

Old 05-18-2006, 05:43 PM
GreenStem is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks, My end links were kinda' loose and I'm not sure if I re-torqued it to the right spec.
Also, I did the shake test on the wheels and I get movement from side-to-side but not when i pushed on the top and bottom. I looked under the front while i shook the wheel and the whole tie-rod assembly shakes as well. Could this be the source of my popping noise?
do i need new bushings? thanks in advance.

Quick Reply: popping noise