Suspension Tech Have a question about modifying your suspension? Ask it here.

RC 6" lift tire question

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2015, 08:28 AM
DesertStorm is on a distinguished road
Default RC 6" lift tire question

i know.. i know... search function is my friend... but i has searched and couldnt really find a definitive answer

Finally got permission to lift it and fix all the issues with it. It has provided faithful service the past 2 years and it is time to show it some love.

I am about to order the 6" RC Lift kit for it and a 2" body lift. will rebuild the front diff while it is out.

Now i just need to figure out tires. Has anybody successfully been able to run 35x12.5x15's with this setup? I would really to run 35" Super Swampers. I dont mind trimming the fenders, but i dont know how that will affect the suspension travel. i do a lot of off-roading with it. I know i will have to change wheels since the stock ones will not hold a 12.5 tire... but tires are a bigger investment and i can get wheels to fit the tires i buy.

my budget is $3000. i work in a shop so labor will just cost me beer for my buddies. so $1200 lift kit + $1000 wheels/tires + $150 body lift leaves $600 for incidentals... should be able to get it done for that pretty easily.

Old 01-13-2015, 12:47 PM
Starting Member
01 Jimmy SLE is on a distinguished road

I think 35's would be pushing it. RC only recommends roughly 31" tires with their 6" kit. What I've gathered from other posts is that if you want 35's then do a SAS.
Wheels and tires will cost more than $1000 altogether. A set of decent 15x8 rims can cost a grand, and that's without tires. If you look for used ones then you'll obviously save a lot of money.
What about shipping fees? those can add up too. Oh and any potential costs of rebuilding the front diff.
Hidden costs add up quick, trust me

Old 01-13-2015, 01:57 PM

my shop has a wholesale account with 4wheelparts... so i get a discount on the tires... 35" swampers for $245 each, and i found 15x10 wheels with 4.5" backspace for $50/ea

i really dont want to dive off into a SAS... worst case i will just wait to buy tires until i get the lift kits installed (which will look funny with my 30s on a 6" susp 2" body lift) i have plenty of buddies that have 35's on their jeeps and i can probably borrow one and mount to one of my tires to check clearance...

Old 01-13-2015, 02:51 PM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

Better look into your axle handling 35s may be to heavy for it, front diff also. Could get away with 33s

Old 01-13-2015, 04:21 PM
Super Moderator
rexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura about

I strongly advise looking into an SAS! I know you said you don't really want to dive into that but in all honesty for $3k you can build a nice SAS'd rig and be able to run the 35s you want without worrying about snapping axles every time you push the 4x4 button! The ORD kit is bolt on and truthfully from what I've read much easier to install than the 5-6" ifs lifts. You also have to take gearing into consideration with a larger tire. Not sure what you have now but with 35s you will want at least a 4.56 or 4.88 or your truck will be a dog and average about 10-12 mpg. The lowest gearing I've seen fit the s10 platform is like 4.10 and from personal experience you will want more gearing or get ready for an unhappy tranny! An SAS isn't very hard at all and there are plenty of threads and people willing to help. So that's my suggestion give an SAS more thought because in the end you will be much happier you did

Old 01-19-2015, 05:15 PM

ok.. so after a lot of research... deciding i was WAY in over my head with a solid axle swap, deciding on the IFS lift... i have finally come to the conclusion after talking to my mechanic that i need to do it right the first time... so SAS it is...

few questions to start though... i see everybody talking about using an astro gear box... what years do i need to look for?

also.. i have seen the sky off road swap kit.. and the ord kit... which one would yall recommend? i work in a body shop so have access to plenty of welders and guys that can weld it up for me...

will be on a loose $2k-$2500 budget...

Old 01-19-2015, 05:36 PM

also... what axles to use?? i was thinking late 70's/early 80's chevy full size.. but the front differential is on the opposite side of the truck on the ones i have found so far...

Old 01-19-2015, 09:23 PM
Super Moderator
rexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura about

If you have access to a welder I'd say use the sky kit front hanger and ranger rear like I did. I really dislike the sky rear hangers with the way they force you to build am out rigger off /below the frame. Unless you want to get into swapping your t-case I'd suggest either Waggoner d44 front and Rodeo rear for narrow closer to factory width or the 78-79 f250 front and 14b rear like I have for full width. As for the astro steering box as long as it is the forward throw you are good to go. I will look into the year range for you tomorrow if I have time. Not sure if you are on s10forum but that is where you are going to find their most info and knowledge on doing an SAS.