Suspension Tech Have a question about modifying your suspension? Ask it here.

Ride quality & Torsion Key Lift?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2006, 11:02 AM
flyinbrad is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Ride quality & Torsion Key Lift?

I have been riding with cranked TBs and 2" add-a-leafs for a few weeks now and I can not take it anymore. This thing rides like a skateboard. I have seen 2" shackles and torsion keys advertise that they maintain the factory ride. I believe the shackles will, but I am not swallowing that the torsion keys will maintain a smooth ride up front. Does anyonehave any experience with this type of lift.

Old 12-22-2006, 11:46 AM
Jigg is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Ride quality & Torsion Key Lift?

Yup, cranking your t-bars definitely makes the ride rougher. It's pretty much proportionate to the amount you crank. How much higher is it in the front now?

Old 12-22-2006, 11:57 AM
DetroitMuscle is an unknown quantity at this point

Glad this topic came up, ive been thinking about cranking my T-bars but now im set of doing a SFA to it.

I heard that cranking the t-bars means your ball joints will blow out sooner then normal, is this true?

Old 12-22-2006, 01:25 PM
flyinbrad is an unknown quantity at this point

The TBs are cranked about 1" but I am looking at getting new Torsion keys that lift from 1-3". My question is will they also give me the same rough ride as the stock keys cranked. The advertisement says that they maintain the factory ride.

BRAND NEW PAIR IN THE BOX

LIMITED LIFETIME WARRANTY

APPLICATION

1982-2003 S10 * S15 * BLAZER * JIMMY * SONOMA 4WD

FRONT LIFT

1"- 3" ADJUSTABLE ** RE-INDEXED FRONT TORSION KEY TO ALLOW LIFTING YOUR SUV WITHOUT LOSING TRAVEL OR FACTORY RIDE QUALITY ** THESE KEYS ARE GM "OEM" QUALITY DUCTILE STEEL & AND ARE BULLET PROOF **

Old 12-22-2006, 01:50 PM

The ride will be rougher as you crank them more, with or without the keys. All the keys do is allow more adjustment out of the t-bars, they don't affect spring rate at all. Cranking your t-bars is a trade off, the more you crank, the more prone to front end component failure and rough ride you are.

The claims about lifting and keeping the stock ride and travel are complete BS, nothing less.

I would NOT go any more than 1.5" total. So if you get that kit, I wouldn't go much more than .5" higher than what it is now.

My T-bars are cranked 1" and I don't really have any problems from it at all, the ride is a bit stiffer... but I understand that i'm driving a lifted truck, not a caddy :lol:

Old 12-22-2006, 02:39 PM
Dabber is an unknown quantity at this point

But if these keys are REINDEXED then you wouldn't have to crank your t-bar any right?? So it should be like a factory ride till you crank these and get more lift right?

Old 12-22-2006, 03:30 PM

ORIGINAL: Dabber

But if these keys are REINDEXED then you wouldn't have to crank your t-bar any right?? So it should be like a factory ride till you crank these and get more lift right?
Yeah, the torsion bars are at stock height, then you'll have factory ride. But they advertise 2" of lift and retaining factory ride. Putting these keys in and retaining factory height really only makes sense if your bars are VERY worn, in which case you should just replace them anyways.

Old 12-22-2006, 05:07 PM

I see what your saying Jigg, but if you put these on and put the truck to STOCK height then everything would be like factory right?? That being said If he were want 1-1 1/2 inches lift he would crank them as per usual. But the ride would be smoother or softer (whatever it is) seeing as the Keys aren't cranked as "tight" as the factory keys. Am I wrong? not trying to argue with anyone. I can see it from bothviews.

Old 12-22-2006, 10:42 PM

If you put them on a truck at stock height, you might as well just keep the stock keys, you'll gain nothing from these without cranking the bars, no height at all. What these do is allow you to crank the bars further than the stock keys allow you to.

Old 12-23-2006, 01:02 AM

But would it not be a softer(more factory) ride because the keys and torsion bar is not cranked as tight as they would be with stock stuff even though he has that extra inch or so. See what I'm saying? Hard to express what I'm saying.

Quick Reply: Ride quality & Torsion Key Lift?