Suspension Tech Have a question about modifying your suspension? Ask it here.

sas axle question.

Old 01-26-2012, 06:08 PM
dimone545 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default sas axle question.

This may be a stupid question but hear it goes anyways. I am looking for axles for my swap and am having a hard time finding the one I need. I am finding a ton of axles for Chevy but the diff is on the wrong side. I know your supposed to use a dodge or Ford axle but I can't find any around me. My question is, why cant you just use one that has the diff on the passenger side and flip it so that it has it on the driver side? I know you would need new spring perches and figure out something for the steering but other than that why can't it be done? I may just be having a brain fart or am hoping I can just because I have a hell of a deal in line for me it I can do this.

Old 01-26-2012, 06:17 PM
Starting Member
Zanders is on a distinguished road

use a jeep wagoneer front axle, can't remember off the top of my head but there are a few other axles you can use, most if not all being jeep's. Check out the S10 extremist forum, all half of them do are sas' and there is plenty of info on this and more.

Old 01-26-2012, 06:31 PM

I know what to use, I'm asking if anyone can tell me why I can't do what i mentioned.

Old 01-26-2012, 09:05 PM

>>>>>>bump<<<<<<<<<<

Old 01-26-2012, 09:53 PM
Jamaroon will become famous soon enoughJamaroon will become famous soon enough

I think it has something to do with the oiling, it won't get the proper lubrication if it's upside down. I may be wrong but that is what came to mind.

Old 01-26-2012, 10:08 PM
BF Veteran
Rottidog has a spectacular aura aboutRottidog has a spectacular aura about

What about all the mounts for the brakes, lines etc, wouldn't they be upside down? The filler plug on the pumpkin would be in the wrong place & not allowing you to get the right amount of fluid in the diff, and that goes back to what Jamaroon said about oiling as well. Things in the diff won't be in the right orientation for proper lubrication & that's IF you could get enough oil in there.
The steering IMO could be a nightmare to figure out with the right orientation of the parts as well. So much would be opposite, upside down & backwards facing as well.

Something I just remembered
www.diversifiedcreations.com/dcSasInfo.asp?sasinfo=1
They're using a Dana 30 or 44 front axle from a TJ/XJ

Last edited by Rottidog; 01-26-2012 at 10:20 PM.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:31 PM
Jamaroon will become famous soon enoughJamaroon will become famous soon enough

and the gear rotation may be wrong, I know not all diffs are set up for the same driveshaft rotation. if you flip it, the front tires might be trying to go backwards while the rear ones are trying to go forward.

Old 01-26-2012, 10:43 PM
BF Veteran
Rottidog has a spectacular aura aboutRottidog has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Jamaroon View Post
and the gear rotation may be wrong, I know not all diffs are set up for the same driveshaft rotation. if you flip it, the front tires might be trying to go backwards while the rear ones are trying to go forward.
Lol yeah, because the planetary gear is rotating say clockwise on the DS, turn that to the PS side it would turn counter clockwise. Unless there was some funky gearing going on in the diff that it beyond me.

I am wise beyond my beers & they do things that are pretty cool with vehicles, but if a differential is made to turn "this" way with the input rotation applied "this" way, then flipping it would have the same effect - rotation would be flipped or backwards.

I know there are counter rotation gear boxes out there to alleviate this & possibly swapping things in the transfer case - but would it be worth it? Personally I'd search online etc & get the proper diff. With something like a SAS I'd want as few issues as possible.

Last edited by Rottidog; 01-26-2012 at 10:47 PM.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:50 PM
neo71665 will become famous soon enoughneo71665 will become famous soon enough

Will look funny the front spinning different direction than the rear. Hey you could flip the rear and have one forward gear and 3 reverse.

Jeep jys have the drivers drop and spring perches on them. Jeeps xjs have drivers drop but are set up for coils.

Old 01-27-2012, 08:26 AM

I am hoping to find axles out of a bronco because I can keep my same time. I guess ill hit the junkyard again. I found a siye that has the Dana 44 for the bronco for only 800 complete from rotor to rotor. The kicker would be the shipping. I'll keep checking. I knew I couldn't flip the axle...lol.. was just hoping I could somehow because I have a buddy who is scraping an older full size chevy and said he would sell me the axles for 50... Damn cheap... Too bad!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: sas axle question.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.