Suspension Tech Have a question about modifying your suspension? Ask it here.

This seem odd?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 02:39 AM
Rat01Blazer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default This seem odd?

I'm changing my fuel filter today, first time, I have 53K on my 01'. I don't get a chance to get under it often so I gave it a good once over. Despite being rusted and resembling a car with twice as many miles (thank you Chicago winter) I noticed my ball joints probably need replacing. My tires have some wear to also verify this concern. I'm not too familair with front suspension stuff, it's been a while since I've taken a class on it but with the few miles that I have, would it be common or better yet, practical to replace the balljoints or just leave it be for a while...? Whenever I take a speedbump slowly it does make an obnoxious creaking sound, something that I don't think greasing up the front end will take care of, maybe I'm wrong though

I also want to crank up my torsion bars a little, maybe get two inches out of the front. Should I do this if the joints are possibly bad?

Old 01-31-2007, 04:53 PM
Starting Member
LunchBox is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: This seem odd?

Grease up the front end...if you are getting a popping noise, it could be ball joints. If you are getting a creaking noise, like an old wooden door from a bad horror movie, check your control arm bushings.

To answer your second question, cranking your torsion bars will prematurely wear your front end. Wait until the winter is over, replace your ball joints with something good, and then start crankin!

Old 01-31-2007, 09:53 PM
nofear17bmx is an unknown quantity at this point

I would definatly grease up the front with the 3 grease **** things, sorry cant think of the technical term right now. And I would then check out the bushings if you still hear a creaking, once of your bushings may have just worn out. And if you have done all that, then it just may be those ball joints.

Old 02-01-2007, 07:08 PM
Rat01Blazer is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the help guys! I will check that out for sure, the creaking's been going on for a while now so I'll grease those suckers up and check to see what's going on.