Suspension Tech Have a question about modifying your suspension? Ask it here.

Shackles

Old 03-03-2008, 12:08 PM
BSchmity69 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Shackles

Not sure if this is the rigt place to post but here it goes. My rear shackles are pretty well rotted out. I need to replace them before i get a hitch and start towing. Were would be the cheapest, easiest place to purchase them (besides autozone, already checked) and how hard are they to switch. On the same note what shoud i be looking at for a hitch, ill be towing an aluminum bass tracker and a trailer with two snowmobiles. Thanx Adam

Old 03-03-2008, 12:22 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Shackles

That's gotta be a new one... They are rusted out? Or are they just rusty looking? Typically they will get some surface rust, but I highly doubt they are weakened in any way...

You could probably just go to a junk yard and have a set pulled.

Old 03-03-2008, 03:59 PM

like layers of them are peeling away rotted. id rather just get new ones. thanx

Old 03-03-2008, 06:27 PM
lennyblazer is on a distinguished road

Well like swartlkk said the junkyard, otherwise a car parts store, maybe ebay. The majority of the ones you can find are for adding lift. So if you wanted to lift your truck now would be a good time to do it.

As far as a hitch. You will want to get a class 3 hitch (has a 5,000 lbs weight rating, which is all the blazer can tow anyhow) There are many manufacturers of them from hidden hitch to reese to others. Personally I like the Reese one since it looks like the factory one (tubular styled) and you don't see it as much (the hidden hitch is square and never hidden).

Old 03-03-2008, 06:36 PM
cliro is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow.. what doe's your frame look like.

where are you from.

Old 03-03-2008, 07:46 PM

Well i wouldnt mind a minor lift so if i got taller schackles what would a have to do to the front end? And yes i think reese is the hitch im lookin at because its hidden. The funny thing is my shackles are horrible looking while my frame is very clean and the tub is still white underneath with absolutly no rust! and i live in CT

Old 03-03-2008, 08:34 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Is it possible for you to snap some pictures showing the shackles well enough to detail your concern...?

Old 03-04-2008, 12:03 AM
lennyblazer is on a distinguished road

For the front you could leave it the way it is and just get some 1" lift shackles for the rear. You could crank the torsion bars a little to get .5-1.5" of lift in the front. The more you crank them the stiffer the ride becomes and the faster front end suspension components wear out (i.e. balljoints, cv shafts, hub bearings, and other steering linkages, etc.). Pretty much the options are 0-1.5" in the front from torision bars, and 1-2.5" lift shackles in the rear. PLus what ever larger size tire you decide to put in there. With 1.5-2" of lift you should be able to get 31's in there (might be tight and might have to do a little fender trimming) but 30's would definately fit which would give you another inch over the stock hieght just based on lift gained from tires. (since 30" tires are 2" taller in diameter than the 28" tires factory (235/70r15 size) therefore the radius is increased 1" giving you about 1" of lift)

Hope this helps and if you have any other questions just post back. And if you could get some pictures of those shackles it would be good.

Old 03-04-2008, 12:04 AM
navyblue_sk8er is an unknown quantity at this point

You can get 1.5" lift shackles and then raise the front end by cranking the t-bars 1.5".

Old 03-04-2008, 02:48 PM

i might do the 1" schackles and 1" torsion crank but how bad/fast will it hurt the front end? ill try to get pics tommarow. thanx guys

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Shackles