Suspension Tech Have a question about modifying your suspension? Ask it here.

Softening the rear

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2015, 09:00 AM
Beginning Member
BuffettTruck is on a distinguished road

Okay, after going through my RPO codes one by one (The first list I DL'd apparently was incomplete), I have learned that I supposedly have:

YD5: Front Spring Base Equipment
YD6: Rear Spring Base Equipment
ZW7: Chassis Package, Premium Smooth (HA HA HA HA HA)

I also now know what my paint color is as I often have people asking me what it is: Adriatic Blue Metallic

Old 01-04-2015, 02:07 PM
Beginning Member
GoldOlds94 is on a distinguished road

I had belistien shocks that were original. They were a very soft, comfortable. But maybe worn out because they were original. I just replaced them with Gabriel Guardian rear $22 & Gabriel ProGuard in front $25 from Autozone. They are what you need too help some. Yes your tires are a bit bouncy and firm. But nothing compared to the BF's All Terrains. Your Jimmy must be just the standard suspension not the touring ride package.

Old 01-05-2015, 08:47 AM
Starting Member
rxjimmy is on a distinguished road

The Z85 option is what GM calls "Firm Ride Suspension". If "Z85" is on your RPO code sticker in the glove box, going with softer torsion bars in front would also soften the ride.
well now, that explains my stiff ride. What I found about RPO code Z85 was "Chassis Package-increased capacity" No more than that. Thanks.

Edit: However, I also have YD5 and YD6 so now I'm confused just a bit.

Last edited by rxjimmy; 01-05-2015 at 08:49 AM.
Old 01-05-2015, 07:23 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

YD5 & YD6 are the standard equipment springs, and they are automatically listed on the RPO code sticker. If it's equipped with the Z85 option, it will be on the sticker. Z85 is called "Firm Ride Suspension" or "Increased Capacity Suspension" depending on what RPO list you look at.

Running the VIN decoder on Compnine.com will tell you every option on your vehicle.

Old 02-17-2015, 12:34 PM
Beginning Member
BuffettTruck is on a distinguished road

Just wanted to say "Thank you" to GoldOlds94. Swapped the shocks for Guardians today. I could tell a difference as soon as I snipped the strap that keeps the shock compressed while packaged. My old shocks had so much pressure I had to use both hands to compress the lower mount into position, with the guardians I was able to this with one hand and only a moderate amount of pressure. Before I got to the end of my road I knew there was a big improvement as I no longer felt vibrations during one stretch. I think I will still check with a spring shop to see if I can get the pack rebuilt with slightly softer springs, but for now this is a big improvement. I thank you GoldOlds94 and my back thanks you as well.

If I could go back 4 years to Advanced Auto and meet the guy who sold me "The only shocks that fit your application", I would put my foot up his ... .