Suspension Tech Have a question about modifying your suspension? Ask it here.

Spring cut

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2005, 05:58 AM
chevylane2003 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Spring cut

To get about a three inch drop how much should I cut. It is a 91 tahoe two door with the HD suspencion and a 4.5 automatic.

Old 06-06-2005, 12:06 AM
Retired Admin
zero psi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Spring cut

i wouldn't cut them. it'll ride like absolute crap. just ask lolos10blazer87. but i learned not to cut off more than 2 coils. not sure how much that'll drop it. if you really want to do it, start with 1 coil and see how low that gets you. then cut another if its not low enough. but remember, its gonna be a bumpy ride.

Old 06-06-2005, 02:56 AM

Right now with the HD susp. it is a really rough ride. There is nearly no give to the springs. I have to set my 200 lb butt on the hood to move it a 1/2 inch. I can't even move the back that much.

Old 06-11-2005, 05:52 AM

Okay I cut one coil out and only dropped one inch over 30 miles of driving. Does it need more time or something? also the ride is accually more comfortable. My little girl use to wake up on nearly ever bump But tonight she sleep through 3 miles of dirt road.

WTF is the deal here. I really expected at least two inch drop not one.

Old 06-11-2005, 12:04 PM
Retired Admin
zero psi is an unknown quantity at this point

well, i guess cut another coil. the springs won't settle, because they've been in there for 13 years already. that's kinda funny that it rides better now.

Old 06-12-2005, 01:39 AM

Well tonight it is down two and 1/4 inches more than before the cut. I did the back today so that may have helped too. It still rides smoother though. before the whole suspension system wouldn't move a bit and now it is a little softer smoothing things up. I think I will leave it as ity is for now. It looks and feels a whole lot better.
hey did anybody else have a problem with the upper A-frame nuts backing off. My are doing that but I tightened them up a little tonight. I have to do it the rest of the way in the morning and we will see if they back off again. If so I will be lock-tight-ing them on.

Old 06-12-2005, 11:35 PM
LoLoS10Blazer87 is an unknown quantity at this point

*Sigh*

Yeah I figured I'd cut my springs. Cut 2 coils off the front to get a 2" drop, after the springs settled I think it ended up being more than that. I don't have an actual number, but that crappy plastic valance under the front bumper is about 1.5" off the ground.

The problem is that one of my shocks was f@#%$@#$ up and rather than buy new shocks and risk raising it back up, I opted to leave the shocks out. Wow. You wanna talk about a rough ride?

I put brand new tires on it 3 months ago and the inside of the front ones are showing wire. It cambers so bad it's not even funny.

I don't have a problem with the A-frame nuts backing off, I will be buying a sway bar repair kit soon though. The bushings are GONE.

Yeah, this was longer than I wanted, but anytime somebody wants to cut their springs I have to advise against it, lol. I should have waited for my lowering springs to come.

Old 06-13-2005, 04:47 AM

Okay they are tight now and I still get the squick. It sounds like a grinding sort of thing. I looked today and there are no bare marking on anything in there. All is tight and there is no jiggle with the wheel in the air or on the ground. It is like it is trying to camber in and out on its own. The camber is not far off at all on this noisy side (only about a half an inch top in). In fact the other side is right on the money since it had a top lean out to begin, and the drop just fixxed it. Do you think this is something like a bushing that just has to get use to being where it is at and will go away in time? Is it possible that the spring is not setting good and needs to be turned around a little? The other side is positioned totally the same and it isn't doing this.

Old 06-13-2005, 12:42 PM
LoLoS10Blazer87 is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't know how long it's been dropped, but for about the first week, my springs made a squeaky, groaning sound. Take a look at your sway bar bushings too.

Old 06-14-2005, 02:59 AM

The sway bar bushings are great. The thing has only been set down for a few days so it may do as yours did and go away. I hope so. Today I put in a friends set of 2' drop springs and it stopped. We put the cuts back since he needed springs on his truck too. The squick came back. Maybe it will go away for me though. We will see.