Suspension Tech Have a question about modifying your suspension? Ask it here.

ZR2 Ball Joint How 2?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2006, 07:51 PM
00ZR2BLZRGUY is an unknown quantity at this point
Default ZR2 Ball Joint How 2?

Hi,

Well I have a 2000 ZR2 Blazer 4x4 with the factory installed riveted ball joints on it, Its time to replace them and I was hoping somebody with previous experiance in the forums might be willing to share the step by step methods in doing so, so I dont get started and possably open a can of worms here. I just replaced the passenger side front hub bearing the other day and noticed that the CV shaft didnt want to pull out of the axel housing, maybe I didnt pull hard enough, or maybe it has a C clip retainer on the inside? I dont have a manual but it seems like it would be in the way of a Ball Joint replacement job, Or is there an easyer method? I know Im going to need to grind or chisle the old rivets off but Im more concerned with the proper steps involved with replacing all 4 of the joints. A how 2 explination would be greatly appretiated and would save me the cost of a manul =). Thanks and Happy New Year [sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 01-01-2006, 08:12 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: ZR2 Ball Joint How 2?

Well, here's my method of replacement:
[ol][*]Lift and support front end of vehicle[*]Remove both front wheels[*]Unbolt and support the brake caliper without stressing or kinking the brake line[*]Remove the rotor[*]Remove the axle nut[*]Press the drive axle out of the bearing[*]Remove the ball joint castle nuts[*]Pop the ball joints loose from the steering knuckle[*]Suspend the steering knuckle out of the way[*]Drill/Grind/Chisel the rivets out of the control arms ensuring that you do not damage the control arm***[*]Install the new ball joints - make sure that the grease zerks are installed so that they can be serviced with minimal work once everything is reassembled[*]Reinstall everything else
[/ol]

***Damage to the control arms could cause them to break prematurely causing loss of control and possibly resulting in a vehicle accident.