Tires and Wheels What skins are you rollin' around on? Discuss wrapping your rims in here.

31" or 32" tires..... help.

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 03:22 AM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

whoa whoa hwo ahowa WHOA

Old 05-14-2009, 03:25 AM
mikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud of

?????

Old 05-14-2009, 03:25 AM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

Had to get that in there.

On a ZR2...you cannot fit 32s stock. MAYBE a 32x10.50...but I havnt seen them (havnt looked though..hah). The width is just as much of a problem as the height. You need a decent tbar crank and shackles to get a 32x11.50 on a ZR2.

33x12.50s are pretty tough for a 2'' body lift, let alone a < 2" tbar crank on a ZR2. Then, the width (12.50) is too wide on stock rims...it will rub on the sway bar even if you clear the height by more lift/more trimming.

So...its pretty common to do a 2" lift by whatever means you prefer, then do 33x10.50s and you should have no problems on a ZR2. If you want to do 33x12.50s, do a 2" lift, and be prepared for some possible trimming of the fender and some probable sway bar rubbage. The other most common upgrade Ive seen is a 1'' spacer on stock rims, or a new rim with ~5" of backspacing. That wheel setup, coupled with the required lifts, will let you clear the 33x12.50s without any issues from the sway bar or otherwise.

If you go with aftermarket rims (with lower backspacing measurements), you will have to decrease your tire size. But thats another thread.

Hope that helps a bit.

Last edited by WolfPack; 05-14-2009 at 03:28 AM. Reason: Added spacers comment
Old 05-14-2009, 03:31 AM
mikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud of

^^ good info!! i dont know much about the zr2 suspension so i did the best i could, ill have to store this info away for use in the future.

Old 05-14-2009, 09:44 AM
Beginning Member
INHUMAN is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by WolfPack
Had to get that in there.

On a ZR2...you cannot fit 32s stock. MAYBE a 32x10.50...but I havnt seen them (havnt looked though..hah). The width is just as much of a problem as the height. You need a decent tbar crank and shackles to get a 32x11.50 on a ZR2.

33x12.50s are pretty tough for a 2'' body lift, let alone a < 2" tbar crank on a ZR2. Then, the width (12.50) is too wide on stock rims...it will rub on the sway bar even if you clear the height by more lift/more trimming.

So...its pretty common to do a 2" lift by whatever means you prefer, then do 33x10.50s and you should have no problems on a ZR2. If you want to do 33x12.50s, do a 2" lift, and be prepared for some possible trimming of the fender and some probable sway bar rubbage. The other most common upgrade Ive seen is a 1'' spacer on stock rims, or a new rim with ~5" of backspacing. That wheel setup, coupled with the required lifts, will let you clear the 33x12.50s without any issues from the sway bar or otherwise.

If you go with aftermarket rims (with lower backspacing measurements), you will have to decrease your tire size. But thats another thread.

Hope that helps a bit.
Yeah, i think that does help. i am thinking of doing the 2" shackles anyway, they are really cheap. so youre saying with the tbar crank ive already done, in conjuntion with 2" lift shackles, i can fit at LEAST a 32" tire? if so, thats whats gonna go down, or , up as it were.
thanks for the info man.

Old 06-06-2009, 09:14 PM
Beginning Member
Big Blaze is an unknown quantity at this point

You should check out Jigg's Blazer at the Synergy Offroad Garage. He has the setup you are trying for.

Old 06-13-2009, 10:35 AM
willjones is an unknown quantity at this point

You have to keep in mind that Jigg's blazer has a ton of mods to it. And from what I remember, almost is entire front end has been redone with upgraded components. To do what he has done, you are looking at close to the cost of a 5" kit. I have 4" of lift, and my 31s still rub with the tires turned hitting a bump. I am pretty sure that wolfpack has the same rubbing issues as I do and he has 30x10.5 with 4" of lift. The bottom line is, if you want bigger tires you ARE going to have to lift and trim.

Old 06-13-2009, 03:49 PM

INHUMAN has a zr2 so his setup will be a bit different, and as far as wolpack and yourself(willjones) you both are running rims with less backspacing so if you would of stuck to rims with 6" of BS you wouldnt have rubbing issues with the amount of lift and tire size your running.

Old 06-13-2009, 09:24 PM
willjones is an unknown quantity at this point

Reguardless of zr2 or not any bigger or wider tires, you will either rub the frame with stock b.s. or the fenders with less b.s. So with that being said you must lift or trim, zr2 or not. I know a couple guys that go to my school that have zr2s on 32s and 33s and with their lift they still had to trim.

Old 06-13-2009, 09:32 PM

i completely agree that adding bigger/wider tires will require lifting or triming, my previous post was just stateing that wolfpack's and your rubbing issues would be taken care of with rims that had more backspacing and the majority of the time if you lift and keep your stock rims(or rims w/stock specs) will allow for a larger tire when compared to a rim with less backspacing.

Quick Reply: 31" or 32" tires..... help.