Tires and Wheels What skins are you rollin' around on? Discuss wrapping your rims in here.

Anyone ran these type of tires?????

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 10:26 PM
Beginning Member
bigred77 is on a distinguished road
Question Anyone ran these type of tires?????

So its about that time were i need to get new tires for the blazer and was wondering has any boby ever run retreaded tires and if so what kind of luck have they had with them??????

Really want to hear the facts

Old 11-02-2009, 10:58 PM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

I have been hunting around for a set of A/Ts that will fit my 16x8 rims. I came across These. All of the reviews speak very highly of them in all of the searches I have done. you get to pick the style of matching skins you want (i.e. BFGs, Michelins, Bridgestones, etc.) If you have a problem, they will scoop them up and trade 1 for 1 at their expense AND you can pick the weight load depending.

All of that being said; retreads are illegal for street use in some states. there will ALWAYS be naysayers (google it up) that will shout down retreads as they are retreads, and they were known to blow up, shear off, give your girlfriend herpes, burn your house down and other nasty stuff ...

Retreads have come ALONG WAY (as everything has) in the past decade.
A TON of companies use retreats for their fleet (of non-road) vehicles, and truckers still do it. It's up to your state laws, and what you feel comfortable with.

use that as a jump off point. google Tread Wright reviews, Your State Tire Laws, and Tread Wright discount codes.

Enjoy.

Last edited by ABN31B; 11-02-2009 at 11:00 PM.
Old 11-03-2009, 01:21 AM
Beginning Member
bob_elder is on a distinguished road

i used towork in a recap shop(retread) we did mostly semi tires and it is true that they are more likely to blow out or have the tread separate and wut not which is why u see soo many tread belts on the freeway from truckers. they are cheap but very dangerous and they are illegal in almost evry single state. i did however do a few mud tires evry now and again but the mud tread belts are pretty pricey and then gettin them retreaded added to it then u have to have the tires mounted and balanced but then u also have the higher risk of the tire failing on u and when ur out in the hills thats the last place u want a tire to fail on u or even worse when u get stuck or sumthin. in my opinion u are better off spendin the money on new tires because u never know how well the tire is gonna hold up compared to a new tire. honestly i would never get a retread for the shear fact of i would rather spend a few bucks more to get new ones than have a tire blow out on me.

Old 11-03-2009, 12:11 PM
Beginning Member
sparkmehanic is on a distinguished road

I run the treadwrights on my '98 Jimmy 31 X 10.5 can't beat the price, nice road manners for an MT tread. I also run a set on my F250 Flatbed 4X4 305's very good price and never had a problem. I recommend.

Old 11-07-2009, 06:20 PM
Starting Member
MrJP is an unknown quantity at this point

Stick with a major company like the one linked and you should be fine. The local mom and pop shop doesn't have the equipment to do a modern retread. Oh, and pay particular attention to your preasure. Heat will kill a retread quicker than a new tire.

Old 11-09-2009, 12:34 AM
Beginning Member

i think ur better off jus savin for new ones with the chance of a warranty and free flat repair and road side assitance and wut not ya kno?

Old 11-09-2009, 12:44 AM
BF Veteran

bob_elder.... I'm not trying to argue with you, as you worked at a recapping place and I am SURE you know more than me on this issue. that being said.... I believe from what I have read looking into this (again you WORKED with it so different) that recapping a semi tire is different than retreading a passenger tire.
Semi tires are built to be recapped, different construction (almost) altogether.
The retread, while not as strong of a bond as a new tire (can't re-vulcanize tread to carcass) is still MUCH better than the recapping process due to the difference in donor material (semi tire vs. passenger).

Feel free to weigh in, just know that i am not looking for a knock down drag out brawl of internet tough guy-ery. i am actually seeeking any input you have as i am considering (as stated) the very same thing.

Old 11-09-2009, 02:39 AM
Beginning Member

haha dont worry im not gonna get all tuff guy on u thats not wut im here for but ya heres wut i got passenger recaps are built from donors just as semi tires and we used all the same equipment and wut not as the semi tire recaps but like you said semi tires are constructed for recapps where pass tires are not. after scapping all the old tread off we grind out any spots that are deep duts or where the belt has any rust in it, which is one way where u lose strength cuz of the breaking of the belt that can occur, anyways after that we spray it down with an adhesive then we fill any holes with another type of silicone adhesivewhere we cut into the belt or where there wwas a nail then we had huge rolls of the tread that the customer chooses and start rolling it on then we cut it then it gets stapeled together and then its wrapped in this huge thing that is made of the same material that a tire tube is made of and it is loaded into this oven where it cooks over night. thats the process of the whole operation. so anyways when that adhesive is sprayed on if you touch it with ur bare hands the oils in ur skin can cause the tire to not cure right which can result in separation of the tread. there is also other ways that it cna not cure right to cause separation. also as i said before we offered no sort of warranty on the tires because of the fact that it is a recap/remanned tire. semi tires have a serial number which tells how many times it has been retreaded. depending on a few factors like brand and something else by which i cant seem to remember at the moment determines if they are allowed to be recapped 3 or 4 four times from new. but passenger tires have no way of being able to identify the same. which is why passenger tires are not really legal cuz theres no way of being able to tell how many times this tire has been rebuilt. what im sayin is that you do not really know what you are gettin as to the quality or construction of the tire, which is why i say that a new one is far better in reliablity and contruction compared to a recap. understand what im sayin ABN? unless you own a tire machine and a balancer and valve stem tool with new valve stem, this is not the most sensible way to go about your bad tire problem cuz u are still gonna have to pay for all this(mounted balanced and valve stems) to be done plus the cost of the recap. it just really isnt a reasonable option to choose when u weigh the factors. usually when u go to big o or even wally world for tires u get free flat repair free plus other palces will include road side asst for those of u who dont wanna get dirty changin a tire haha. take my advice man, this just isnt a smart way or safe way to go about this

Old 11-09-2009, 03:45 PM
BF Veteran

Boo! i hate you and your wealth of expierence and logic. You are working to convince me that saving $30 bucks per tire is not worth watching my family burn while i lay ejected on the freeway....

Guess it's NEW tires for me after all.... Thanks for expanding BTW

Old 11-10-2009, 02:26 AM
Beginning Member

not a problem. id rather have u hear to argue with and save u some headache than have u "watching ur family burn while u lay ejected on the freeway" as u put it. this may sound like an economical path but that is all it is is "economical" and in the end may not even be that as i say it is unsafe. that job i had by the way was probably the dirtest job i have ever done and actually it was on dirty jobs with mike rowe on discovery channel haha.

i am always willing to lend my opionion when it comes to stuff i have an experience in or a knowledge of even if its jus a lil bit of a sumwut know-how haha.

Quick Reply: Anyone ran these type of tires?????