Tires and Wheels What skins are you rollin' around on? Discuss wrapping your rims in here.

BFG v. Firestone v. General

Old 03-05-2011, 07:39 PM
Starting Member
btmbass is on a distinguished road
Default BFG v. Firestone v. General

Hey guys, Its about that time to change up my tires. I've currently got three different types of tires on my truck that is all uneven tread; just got my tax return so figured tires are gonna be my first investment into this truck. After doing some digging, I've found three different tires that I like.

BF Goodrich All-Terrain T/A KO

Firestone Destination A/T

General Grabber AT 2

Things to note: My tire size is 235/75/15. As with anyone in this current economy the more affordable the better. These would be going on stock rims.

Any thoughts opinions? Or recommendations?

Old 03-05-2011, 08:18 PM
Starting Member
98HeavyChevy is on a distinguished road

I have Goodyear Wrangler's that came new with the truck. They have done very well in the snow. I've spoke to someone who has the Firestone Destination A/T and he's very happy with those. Low road noise, great traction, and reasonable expense. When my goodyear's are wore out I'll probably going for those myself (I like the look of them as well). My tire size is the same as yours.

Old 03-06-2011, 08:45 AM
BF Veteran
DKSDAD is a jewel in the roughDKSDAD is a jewel in the roughDKSDAD is a jewel in the rough

I am biased to the BFG AT's since I have them on my truck for the past 6-7 years. It is also important to know what your plans with the truck are. The BFG's are from what i can tell from the photos the most agressive of the 3 you chose, do you plan on going off road with it? Also, if you want why not go to 30x9.5x15? Just a thought and my 2 cents.

Old 03-06-2011, 09:46 AM
Beginning Member
bd190 is on a distinguished road

So far ive had good luck with the firestone destination ats(30x9.5x15), good in snow and mud. When i got the firestones i had the option of the general grabber at2 but chose the firestones because they were cheaper. The BFGs are also good but are probably the most expensive

Old 03-06-2011, 02:10 PM
Starting Member

Thanks for the input so far everyone! I do offroad quite a bit, but this is a daily driver for me as well.

DKSDAD - I've pondered doing 30x9.5x15 size tires, I've heard mixed thing whether they'd fit on a stock truck without any rubbing.

Old 03-12-2011, 10:24 AM
Lippyp is on a distinguished road

I've had General Grabber AT2's on my last two Isuzu Troopers and I love em, ploughed through all sorts of stuff only coming to a halt in really thick sticky mud. They are superb in snow as well. In fact I have the set that were on my first trooper and they're going on the Blazer next week as they happen to be the right size and way better than the cheap tyres that were on there when I got it. they wear pretty well too and are quiet on the road and handle well.

Old 03-12-2011, 10:27 AM
BF Veteran
Benedict1337 will become famous soon enough

the general grabbers and the bfg's are almost the same tire, the generals are cheaper I'd look into those, I had bfg a/t's they workde pretty well, but mud tires work much better for me haha

Old 03-14-2011, 10:59 PM
Starting Member

So I have a few late contenders in the mix. I found a great deal on Cooper Discoverer ATR tires.

A friend also turned me the direction of an option I had no idea about too. Tread Wright Tires, seems like a refurbished tire that is a clone of the BFGs. Has anyone ever used or heard about these?

One other idea thing that has come up. I have just gotten a nice pair of rims from my brother, so I can buy 30" wheels now. I couldn't before since every damn store only installs tires sizes that are on the door. I can have them mount 30" tires on these rims and I can mount them myself. Is there any disadvantage other than the speedo being off with 30" tires?

Old 03-15-2011, 07:28 AM
Starting Member
98HeavyChevy is on a distinguished road

Refurbishes or "re-treads" are a poor choice. The tend to wear faster and the quality is sometimes questionable.

Old 03-15-2011, 03:30 PM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute

I have the Destination A/Ts and I have nothing negative to say about them. They won out over the General Grabbers I was also looking at because every time I ran into the Destinations in real life I asked the owner how long they've had the tires on.

The tires of people who've had them on for 40K+ plus miles still looked brand new. They are wearing well on the street and haven't sneezed at anything I've done in my limited off road/snow so far.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: BFG v. Firestone v. General