Tires and Wheels What skins are you rollin' around on? Discuss wrapping your rims in here.

Bigger Tires?/Best Tire?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2016, 11:14 PM
Beginning Member
luvgert1991 is on a distinguished road
Arrow Bigger Tires?/Best Tire?

The tires I have on my '91 s10 jimmy are 235/75R15. Would it be any bit beneficial to put bigger tires on and if so what size? I want new AT tires regardless of size. What is the best AT tire????? There are no current modifications to this car.
Thank You!!!

Old 03-03-2016, 07:43 PM
blazen_red_4x4 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by luvgert1991
The tires I have on my '91 s10 jimmy are 235/75R15. Would it be any bit beneficial to put bigger tires on and if so what size? I want new AT tires regardless of size. What is the best AT tire????? There are no current modifications to this car.
Thank You!!!
That all depends on what you're considering as "best"? Best wear? Best traction on dry pavement, wet pavement, snow, sand, mud, etc? Best noise (or lack there of)? Best price? For anyone to call any tire the "best" tire would just be an opinion...

BFG AT is a popular choice. Good wear on the road for a DD, not too much noise on the road. Performs decent off road so long as you know it's limits (is NOT a mud tire). I personally just don't like the compound BFG uses... I've ran 3 sets of different BFGs (Rugged Trails, ATs, and MT KM2) and all three started showing signs of dry rot within a year...

General Grabber AT2 is also a decent choice, similar tread pattern, price is a little cheaper too if I'm not mistaken.

I use to have Firestone Destination ATs on my 04 4door 4x4 Blazer and they did me well. Good quiet ride on the road, wore good (until a ball joint failure, but that's another topic entirely...), and for my use off road which wasn't much at the time, they were great and never left me stuck. But that's because I, like mentioned earlier, knew it's boundaries, and never pushed them beyond what I thought they could handle off road. That being said, they also got me through a few hairy situations where I thought they wouldn't lol.

Best advice I can give you is hit up tirerack.com and browse through AT tires and read up on reviews

Old 03-07-2016, 03:24 AM
truc.karl is on a distinguished road

Spend a little more money and get the BFG KM2's. For a decent price, Cooper ST's are good.

Old 03-07-2016, 02:43 PM
Beginning Member
luvgert1991 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by blazen_red_4x4
That all depends on what you're considering as "best"? Best wear? Best traction on dry pavement, wet pavement, snow, sand, mud, etc? Best noise (or lack there of)? Best price? For anyone to call any tire the "best" tire would just be an opinion...

BFG AT is a popular choice. Good wear on the road for a DD, not too much noise on the road. Performs decent off road so long as you know it's limits (is NOT a mud tire). I personally just don't like the compound BFG uses... I've ran 3 sets of different BFGs (Rugged Trails, ATs, and MT KM2) and all three started showing signs of dry rot within a year...

General Grabber AT2 is also a decent choice, similar tread pattern, price is a little cheaper too if I'm not mistaken.

I use to have Firestone Destination ATs on my 04 4door 4x4 Blazer and they did me well. Good quiet ride on the road, wore good (until a ball joint failure, but that's another topic entirely...), and for my use off road which wasn't much at the time, they were great and never left me stuck. But that's because I, like mentioned earlier, knew it's boundaries, and never pushed them beyond what I thought they could handle off road. That being said, they also got me through a few hairy situations where I thought they wouldn't lol.

Best advice I can give you is hit up tirerack.com and browse through AT tires and read up on reviews
I think my top priority would be wear.

Old 03-07-2016, 06:02 PM
TMM217 is on a distinguished road

I would suggest BFGs AT. I dont know much of the new AT2s but the original ATs were great for me on my 99 i use to have. Actually got another set for it after first set wore to 100k miles. Put 190k+ til I sold it

Last edited by TMM217; 03-07-2016 at 06:33 PM.
Old 03-08-2016, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by TMM217
I would suggest BFGs AT. I dont know much of the new AT2s but the original ATs were great for me on my 99 i use to have. Actually got another set for it after first set wore to 100k miles. Put 190k+ til I sold it
I have no experience with the AT2's but I must admit I do like the looks of the tread pattern and side wall changes they made. Took them long enough, BFG's been running that AT tread pattern for the better part of a decade lol

Last edited by blazen_red_4x4; 03-08-2016 at 06:00 PM.
Old 03-08-2016, 06:07 PM

For what it's worth, I'm running some Cooper Adventurers on some ZQ8 wheels that I just painted up. Very mild on the road, but I have no opinions on off road or wear as I've only been running them for literally less than a week. I didn't buy them new, got them from a junk yard actually, came off a wrecked Explorer From what I can gather, the Adventurers are only available through Pepboys, but Cooper Discoverers have nearly the same tread pattern.

Before painting. Can see the tread a little better on the stacked 3 in the back.

Attached Thumbnails Bigger Tires?/Best Tire?-20160306_112154.jpg   Bigger Tires?/Best Tire?-20160303_172607.jpg  
Old 03-08-2016, 06:34 PM
TMM217 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by blazen_red_4x4
I have no experience with the AT2's but I must admit I do like the looks of the tread pattern and side wall changes they made. Took them long enough, BFG's been running that AT tread pattern for the better part of a decade lol
They were never broke so they didnt have to fix it.