Tires and Wheels What skins are you rollin' around on? Discuss wrapping your rims in here.

Buying Tires need help! goodyear wrangler at/s good?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 10:30 PM
Starting Member
dj00140 is on a distinguished road
Default Buying Tires need help! goodyear wrangler at/s good?

Hey guys I have a 97 2-dr 4wd Blazer and am in need of new tires very badly. I live in MN. I went to a goodyear garage my cousin manages and everyone is recommending the goodyear wrangler rt/s and thats what they have the best price on. it will be $450 out the door i currently have p205/70/r15 and am going with the 235/75/r15 looking around the wranglers dont have the best reviews. Any ideas and recommendations for around that price. Thanks! I just dont want to spend $450 on ****ty tires.

Old 01-24-2011, 10:44 PM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

it's been said before. if you are going to cut costs, two places NOT to do it are brakes and tires. one is the most important part of your safety, the other is the only part of the vehicle in contact with the earth...

just a thought.

Old 01-24-2011, 10:47 PM
Beginning Member
supermutt73 is on a distinguished road

I'm running the Goodyear Silent Arnor right now but I haven't had them long enough to give you a valid opinion. The reason I went with the silent armor over the other offerings is because a good friend of mine runs them on his '02 Dakota and he's had no uneven wear, no cupping, and he does alot of driving.(OH to Cumberland, Maryland a few times a month in all kinds of weather) I can tell you that they have good highway manners and are great in the snow on an '88 S10 Blazer. Hope this helps and good luck!

Old 01-24-2011, 11:17 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by ABN31B
it's been said before. if you are going to cut costs, two places NOT to do it are brakes and tires. one is the most important part of your safety, the other is the only part of the vehicle in contact with the earth...

just a thought.
Thats why im asking whats the best tire? Or a good tire for my price range?

Old 01-24-2011, 11:24 PM
Beginning Member

That depends on what your range is and what theprimary use for your Blazer is going to be. The silent armors I mentioned are only slightly more than the RT/S. However goodyears are a rather expensive tire to begin with. Look into Generals or Dunlops, the're a good tire and tend to be a little cheaper. Just read the info/reviews on tirerack.

Old 01-25-2011, 06:33 PM
Starting Member

Thanks for the advice, I found goodyear wrangler radials at walmart for $380 out the door any ideas on them? Thanks

Old 01-26-2011, 01:45 PM
Beginning Member

I wouldn't buy tires from walmart. they in most cases are made to be sold at places like walmart and aren't going to be the same quality that you would get buying from an actual tire dealer. Have you looked into the other brands much? There are alot of good tires for less than you will pay for goodyears. Also id money is really tight for you and you need domething to get you through the winter you may want to look into retreads. The process has come a long way in recent years and they aren't the "accient waiting to happen" that they used to be. Good Luck!

Old 01-26-2011, 03:23 PM
Starting Member
Longer02 is an unknown quantity at this point

I currently have the Goodyear Wrangler RT/S on my blazer. They came with the vehicle. The fronts are wearing very unevenly and are cupping bad. Could be due to some worn out suspension parts though since I have only had the Blazer for a month. I plan on replacing the tires when my new rims get here.

Originally Posted by dj00140
Thanks for the advice, I found goodyear wrangler radials at walmart for $380 out the door any ideas on them? Thanks
I had these on a 92 Blazer I had. They worked well for what I used the truck for. Road nice on the road and never had any problems with them. Have seen some decent reviews for them on the net as well.

Originally Posted by supermutt73
I wouldn't buy tires from walmart. they in most cases are made to be sold at places like walmart and aren't going to be the same quality that you would get buying from an actual tire dealer. Have you looked into the other brands much? There are alot of good tires for less than you will pay for goodyears. Also id money is really tight for you and you need domething to get you through the winter you may want to look into retreads. The process has come a long way in recent years and they aren't the "accient waiting to happen" that they used to be. Good Luck!
Not true at all. The Walmart Goodyear tires still have to meet every standard that Goodyear has on their other tires. They are just a Walmart exclusive tire that can be sold a little cheaper. I have done a lot of research on the Walmart tires. I am actually going to wrap my new Pro Comp wheels in the Walmart Goodyear Authority tires.

If you are on a budget, there is no reason not to get the Goodyear Wrangler Radials from Walmart. I see a TON of people running those tires.

Old 01-26-2011, 03:56 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Longer02

If you are on a budget, there is no reason not to get the Goodyear Wrangler Radials from Walmart. I see a TON of people running those tires.
There are also ~6,500,000 car accidents every year. Just cause there are a lot of users does not make it a superior product. Just sayin

Old 01-26-2011, 04:31 PM
mykeboy01 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by dj00140
Ahem...first off, TIRES AT WALMART ARE OLD! Increased risk for blowout, and premature wear and tear.

Second off, My mothers Jeep had Goodyear Wranglers...two flats and sidewall bulge on a third...in 18k miles! My Aunt had Goodyear Wranglers on her Ford Explorer, and had tread separation on her front passenger wheel at 31k miles! If I could find the pictures, I will post!

For $560, I just got General Grabber AT2's put on my Blazer, and OMG...best tires I have ever had! They are knobby, agressive, and mean as hell! They grip the road nice, and being from CT (lots of snow), they are proving themselves! They are also prorated through 50k miles! My father had them on his Nissan Frontier for 95k before changing them out...for another pair!

With tires, you get what you pay for...now sir, how much is your life really worth? Don't even give me the whole *im broke* speech either...because I AM BROKE! (I drive a Blazer...lol) I do my own repairs, because I don't want to pay a mechanic, but I will NEVER sell my self short on something as important as a set of tires...and I don't really think $560 is that bad for a quality set of tires!

Quick Reply: Buying Tires need help! goodyear wrangler at/s good?