Tires and Wheels What skins are you rollin' around on? Discuss wrapping your rims in here.

Buying Tires need help! goodyear wrangler at/s good?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 04:58 PM
ball0616 is on a distinguished road
Default Walmart Tires

I have bought tires from Walmart twice for two different cars and both times the tires were junk. Within six months, a nasty vibration occurred on both vehicles that was caused by the tires not being perfectly round. At least that is what they told me. They did replace them however the aggravation was not worth it. I recommend spending a little extra and going to a shop that specializes in tires.

Old 01-26-2011, 06:09 PM
Starting Member
Longer02 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by WolfPack
There are also ~6,500,000 car accidents every year. Just cause there are a lot of users does not make it a superior product. Just sayin
Ok? I never said they were any better or worse than other tires. I simply stated my opinion on them since I actually had the tires. Never once had a problem with them.

Originally Posted by mykeboy01
Ahem...first off, TIRES AT WALMART ARE OLD! Increased risk for blowout, and premature wear and tear.

Second off, My mothers Jeep had Goodyear Wranglers...two flats and sidewall bulge on a third...in 18k miles! My Aunt had Goodyear Wranglers on her Ford Explorer, and had tread separation on her front passenger wheel at 31k miles! If I could find the pictures, I will post!

For $560, I just got General Grabber AT2's put on my Blazer, and OMG...best tires I have ever had! They are knobby, agressive, and mean as hell! They grip the road nice, and being from CT (lots of snow), they are proving themselves! They are also prorated through 50k miles! My father had them on his Nissan Frontier for 95k before changing them out...for another pair!

With tires, you get what you pay for...now sir, how much is your life really worth? Don't even give me the whole *im broke* speech either...because I AM BROKE! (I drive a Blazer...lol) I do my own repairs, because I don't want to pay a mechanic, but I will NEVER sell my self short on something as important as a set of tires...and I don't really think $560 is that bad for a quality set of tires!
Since when are Walmart tires old? That is simply a stupid comment. They are just as new as any other tire suppliers. Walmarts Goodyear tires are not warrantied by Goodyear. That is the only thing different about them. They have to meet the same standards every other Goodyear tire has to meet. Contact Goodyear and ask them.

As far as your you get what you pay for motto, in some cases I agree. However, the Goodyear Eagle F1's that came on my Camaro from the factory were complete garbage. They are $274 a tire according to tire rack. What did I replace those with? I went with some CHEAP Sumitomo HTRZ's that were $106 a tire. Why? I was on a budget and needed something to drive with on the street. Guess which tires performed better in all aspects on a 400+ rwhp car?

Plain and simple, each tire manufacturer has crappy tires and everyone will have a different opinion on each tire. I have gone through so many sets of tires (expensive and cheap) and never once had a blowout or anything to that effect. Have I not been happy with a certain tires performance? Yes, I have (both cheap and expensive). Have I had cheap tires out perform more expensive tires? Yes, I have.

OP, read some reviews, ask around, and make a decision based on your set budget.

Old 01-27-2011, 07:09 PM
Starting Member
dj00140 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the advice everyone.

I can get the kumho KL61 for under $500, this tire sounds really good, ranked #1 on tirerack.com Also looking at the Michelin X Radial HT (or DT?) for $375 installed from sams club 80k warrenty supposed to be a good tire 700 wear rating about. But my cousin is still pushing the goodyear sr-a or at/s I know he has installed 1000's of these but the bad reviews online gotta count for something, im really leaning towards the sra's. The only draw back is the michelins only come in 205/75/15 and I want 235/75/15's Even tho my car comes stock with 205's I want to upgrade. Opinions?

Old 01-28-2011, 10:20 AM
BF Veteran
oktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant future

I generally steer clear from places like Walmart for buying tires or other car parts...

While I've have good things to say about Goodyears (running them on the Sierra) I paid almost 1k for all 4...

If the Khumo's are top rated on tirerack I'd go with them over any Dept. store tire.

Old 01-28-2011, 01:36 PM
Red 96' will become famous soon enoughRed 96' will become famous soon enough

I will tell you from personal experience that the Goodyear Wrangler Radials are TERRIBLE in the snow and on wet roads. I personally can't wait until I get new tires, hopefully the General Grabber AT2's

Old 02-02-2011, 01:40 PM
Starting Member
jbsnowboarder16 is on a distinguished road

I have a friend who has the Michelins and he likes them very much. I have Firestone Destination A/T and I think they were about $475-500 after mount and balance. They have about 20K miles on them and they are still just as good as the day I bought them. They bite very well in the snow and do pretty well in mud. For as aggressive as they look and feel, they are VERY quiet on the road. Tire rack gives them a very good rating, maybe give them a look and see if it is what your looking for