Tires and Wheels What skins are you rollin' around on? Discuss wrapping your rims in here.

General opinion on tires

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 08:55 PM
Starting Member
taba5 is on a distinguished road
Default General opinion on tires

Due to the purchase of these T/A wheels, I have been forced to look for a way out of wheel well gap...these things are awesome in general, but without slamming the truck completely and avoiding the cost for ginormous rims/tires I have been put in a dilemma.

By feel alone the T/A wheels are lighter (I assume) this is less rolling mass the truck has to work with which in turn will possibly help in MPG's etc

But the tires I am getting ahold of for FREE are 235-70-16's(off a ford escape), currently I am back on my OEM alloys which sport 30 inch meats....

Im concerned with look mostly I "shopped" a quicky of the T/A wheels on the truck with my current tires and it doesnt look bad...but im not sure

I could only google up a sonoma with the same size tires.

as far as dimensions, the new wheel tire combo will be a half inch shorter than the current 30's on oem 15's

give me thoughts, opinions etc

Old 05-05-2010, 12:38 AM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

yeah, those 235/70/16's are gonna be the same O/A diameter as the factory 15's.

if you go to a 255/70/16.........it'll fill that wheel-and wheel well-out nicely!

it'll measure 3/4 of an inch wider (10.0 vs 9.25) and be almost spot on for a 30" diameter (measures 30.05")

but i'm sure you know that going to a wider tire increases your rolling resistance, which cuts into your fuel economy.

not that Blazer/Jimmy/Bravada driver's are ever concerned about that.

Old 05-05-2010, 02:45 PM
BF Veteran
oktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant future

With those FREE tires being half an inch shorter, and you wanting to lower your ride a few inches I think it'd look real good.

Did I mention the tires were FREE? lol.

Old 05-05-2010, 08:11 PM
84BlazerS10 is on a distinguished road

Free is always good I would go that route if the tires are still in good shape.

Old 05-06-2010, 06:16 AM
Starting Member

yes the tires were free. picked them up yesterday morning...and on a very surprising note they have tons of life left in them

I will have pictures later this morning with them mounted on rims and possibly mounted on truck as well (depends how ambitious I get, after i drop my kids off at school)

The future plan for these wheels is a wider tire (245/255 etc) with a lower profile say a 60 or 65 The happy medium between wheel well fill and width for the rim. by the time tires are switched the truck will be lowered.

They are already being called ***** wheels since I have had 2 sets of tires mounted and removed hahaha

Gas mileage is no biggy in 21 days (my kids will be out of school then and I wont have to drive 60miles a day to and from school)

Old 05-06-2010, 07:47 AM
Banned
kickme005 is on a distinguished road

well stay with the stock size tire they work the best. i got 235 75 15 tires on my 95 blazer Ls 4dr, 4wd the sticker says i should have 235 70 15. if i put the tire size it says on the sticker would i get better mpgs?

Old 05-06-2010, 11:00 AM
Starting Member

depends on the type of tire, if its a road surface type tire it will probably net better mileage, however if its more of an A/T type tire than gas mileage may suffer....

so many factors come into play when it comes to MPG's and types of tires...
air pressures, tread design, general up keep in the suspension department and various other factors all the way down to what you may or may not have bolted to your front end and how high or low it sits and how you drive your vehicle

Old 05-06-2010, 07:42 PM
Starting Member

as promised a picture of a dirty black truck and clean **** wheels (snapped this pic before i cleaned the truck and shined up and de-browned the tires)

Old 05-07-2010, 08:02 AM
BF Veteran
oktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant future

Looks great! 1-2" lower?

Old 05-07-2010, 10:45 AM
Starting Member

stock height for now.... the stance looks odd because of my driveway, but yes def. going to lower it at least 2 inches... that should be enough, however i wont go much lower than 3 just because every once and awhile i may have an itch to get muddy lol

Quick Reply: General opinion on tires