Tires and Wheels What skins are you rollin' around on? Discuss wrapping your rims in here.

Goodyear Fortera SilentArmor v Cooper Discoverer ATR v Toyo OpenCountry AT

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 04:16 PM
Chunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Goodyear Fortera SilentArmor v Cooper Discoverer ATR v Toyo OpenCountry AT

So I'm looking to get new tires this weekend for the 2000 4DR 4WD BLazer. Called around to a bunch of places, and it seems what most have in stock are the Goodyear Fortera Silent Armour and the Cooper Discoverer ATR.

I'm looking for a general use all-season for the stock wheels at this point. Price isn't necessarily an issue, just looking for a good tire for the price.

Winter traction is an issue , but the biggest thing for me is handling and ride. I'm new to this Blazer, and never driven an SUV too much, so I'm trying to minimize the sidewall flex/body roll feeling in cornering if possible, given that I'm sticking with the stock wheels right now and looking at 235/75 15s.

Anyone have any experience with either or both of these tires?

There's not much on the net about the Coopers, and the reviews online for the Goodyears are mixed.
Coopers are running about $105 a piece, and $140 for the Goodyears.

The third possibility is to hold off a bit, and get something ordered...

Thanks in advance...
Chunk

Old 05-01-2008, 04:52 PM
BF Veteran
EuroGoldLS is on a distinguished road
Default RE: Goodyear Fortera SilentArmor vs. Cooper Discoverer ATR

Goodyear fortera TripleTreads are an excellent choice for all-season.

Old 05-01-2008, 04:57 PM

ORIGINAL: EuroGoldLS

Goodyear fortera TripleTreads are an excellent choice for all-season.
Those triple reads do some good reviews (and some awful ones too). Unfortunately everyone around here says they're on back order. They have piqued my interest tho

Old 05-01-2008, 06:20 PM
jimmyboy is an unknown quantity at this point

ive heard the atr is a great tire. a guy that comes to my dad's shop has them and he likes them alot. when new they have some deep tread.

i have coopers and if i were you i would get the cooper tires.

jimmyboy

Old 05-01-2008, 10:08 PM
cliro is an unknown quantity at this point

i had the goodyear silent armours on my old truck and i liked them.

Old 05-02-2008, 07:56 PM
Banned
Duntov is an unknown quantity at this point

I am going to buy four tires in September.I have P235/75R15 Dean Tires on the Blazer SUV 4x4and they seem to be OK. Dean Tires have always been made by Cooper Tire Company and Cooper recently purchased theDean Tire Company. However, Dean Tires had arecall a few years ago for tread separation problems.I was looking atthe Goodyear Fortura Silent Armor P235/75R15 OWL until I saw the price of $165 each, even at Wal-Mart.

Then I remembered that I have a new Uniroyal Laredo Cross Country P235/75R15/XL (108S)OWL on the spare tire carrier and it has never been on the ground.So, I guess those Uniroyaltires are the onesI will buy andput on the alloy wheels,just because they will match my spare and theyonly cost $95 each at Wal-Mart.

The Uniroyal Laredo Cross Country tires are said to have tread design forwet gripping, all season traction, are designedfor long tread life and enhanced off pavement traction. I am sure thatall tire companies say that about their tires.The Uniroyal Laredo Cross Country tiresdo not have overly agressive tread design which I was looking for todiminish pavementnoise.

Old 05-03-2008, 02:31 PM

I was going to go with the Coope ATRs, even gave the guy the key to the blazer at the tire shop, but then realized he was trying to sell me the Cooper ASTs - I said NO.

I ended up with the Toyo Open ****ry ATs today (235/75 15).

I wanted to go American-made, but it just didn't work out that way. I've heard good things about the Toyos, and so far my first 50 miles with them leads me to believe I'll like them a lot.

They ride much better than the Uniroyal Laredo's (235/70 15) they are replacing - but given the fact that the Uniroyals were on the Blazer for 8 yrs and 76500 miles, I don't think it's a fair comparison.

The Toyo's certainly look better, and I have every reaason to believe will do better in the winter.
Going from the 70 sideall to the 75 is not much of an increase, but does make a difference in the better look of the Blazer already.

Old 05-03-2008, 02:49 PM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute

ORIGINAL: Chunk
The Toyo's certainly look better, and I have every reaason to believe will do better in the winter.
Going from the 70 sideall to the 75 is not much of an increase, but does make a difference in the better look of the Blazer already.
...and speedometer/odometer. I did the same thing only I did it accidentally. I replaced my tires with 235/75 instead of stock 235/70. Whoops. Anyhow, according to this calculator, when I'm going 60 I'm actually going 62. Not a big deal unless you have **** cops in your neck of the woods. Also the odometer will be off by 3.3%, so for every 100 miles you've actually driven 103.3. Just food for thought.

Edit: Forgot to link to tire size calculator.