Tires and Wheels What skins are you rollin' around on? Discuss wrapping your rims in here.

Goodyear Wrangler RT/S tires

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 07:34 PM
Starting Member
musclecar70sfan is on a distinguished road
Default Goodyear Wrangler RT/S tires (bought Kumho Road Venture AT KL78 instead)

Hey guys, I have an opportunity to purchase a set of 4 Goodyear Wrangler RT/S tires for $550 out the door, including mounting, balancing, stems, alignment, lifetime free rotations and 4 free oil changes (1 for each tire). Just wondering if I'm getting a good deal and I was also looking for your feedback on these tires. The online reviews are VERY mixed, people either love or hate these tires. I'm looking for a set that is good on-road (I do a good amount of highway commuting) and some occasional off-roading with my 94 Jimmy 4x4. And snow/rain traction is important to me as well.

Here's a picture of their tread, you can tell that they're a little chunky but not quite as beefy as other all-terrain tires. I wonder how they'd do in the dirt and snow.

Thanks!

Last edited by musclecar70sfan; 01-04-2011 at 10:17 PM.
Old 01-02-2011, 07:47 PM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

my only experience with the RT/S was on a newer (07 maybe) H3. they were awful. point blank. very poor wet traction. to the point where it was scray to corner at normal speed in it...

Opinions very. They are consistantly inconsistant. I would look for something else. BUT to be fair, i'm still using the trash my truck came with, primewell pa100s , even though they suck an people hate them, they have done fine on the street (noisy), good in wet situations (nothing to write home about), ok off-road(ish) (never pushed them too hard) and way better than they should in the snow

i say that because while my tires are crap and everyone knows it, they have been good enough for me.

if you can't find them at a better price (try price match vs tire-easy which has em for like $75 each) and like them, and want them, then rock them until the tread falls off.

Old 01-02-2011, 07:55 PM
Kai
Kai is on a distinguished road

I have them on my blazer right now (they came with it so I don't know anything else) but here in Michigan they handled fine in snow I mean you will obviously still slide a lil but wet traction is eh i break lose with my 1 tire peel when it rains and i take off or turn to fast. I have not been off-roading with them.. They are alright i guess.. Agressive enough for mild off road but yet a little more leaned to street driving which is mostly where I am.

Old 01-02-2011, 09:20 PM
BF Veteran
Rottidog has a spectacular aura aboutRottidog has a spectacular aura about

Have you checked out a lot of webites like tirerack.com & the such, googled them & looked for reviews? Sounds like you have & as for slippery stuff - thats what 4wd is for. Speaking personally about my BFG Mud Terrain KM's, they haul '***' through the drifts, deep snow & mud & they suck 'it' on ice, hard packed snow. I'm going to be looking for some AT's for winter & summer hauling the boat. Even though the MT's look pretty good, winter road manners & mileage are not their forte'.
Just my 2 cents worth.
<edit> They come with an alignment & all the other extras? wow, for $550 thats a deal for a decent looking AT. I'd grab em if I could get that deal in a 32 x 11.50.

Last edited by Rottidog; 01-02-2011 at 09:24 PM.
Old 01-03-2011, 04:39 PM
Starting Member

Yeah I've done some more research and I'm not really impressed with the Goodyears. But I've been hearing better things about Kumho Road Venture AT KL/78 tires, and they're cheaper than the Goodyears; at least on tirerack. I'll call up that shop that offered me the Goodyears for $550 and see what they can do with the Kumhos.

Old 01-03-2011, 05:05 PM
Starting Member

Well it looks like that shop can hook me up with the kumhos for $575 including all the stuff I mentioned with the Goodyears. That's just before road hazard, which costs 10 bucks per tires which I'm still debating. I've been driving for over two years with no incidents on my bald Michelin all-seasons, that includes off-roading lol. I just wonder if this Kumhos will be able to stop me from doing this again:

or this:

Haha my expectations aren't THAT high....

Old 01-03-2011, 05:44 PM
BF Veteran
Rottidog has a spectacular aura aboutRottidog has a spectacular aura about

Here are some other ones I've been looking into
http://www.greendiamondtire.com/index.html

Old 01-03-2011, 07:03 PM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

those sound like the kedge that these guys pimp

Old 01-03-2011, 07:45 PM
Beginning Member
tomborsari is on a distinguished road

my personal opinion on em... i love em. I have em in 31's and i have no problems on wet/snowy roads. I live in New England, so when its ****ty out, its ****TY OUT haha.

Old 01-03-2011, 07:58 PM
Sturg is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by ABN31B
those sound like the kedge that these guys pimp

those look interesting.... I havent read a single bad thing about them.

Quick Reply: Goodyear Wrangler RT/S tires