Tires and Wheels What skins are you rollin' around on? Discuss wrapping your rims in here.

Grabber AT2s - sizes, road hazard

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 07:43 AM
Starting Member
abadinalbany is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Grabber AT2s - sizes, road hazard

Hey all-

Leaning heavily toward putting General Tire Grabber AT2s on instead of snow tires after all.

I've read that 30x9.5R15 is the biggest we can go on stock lift without rubbing, and I'd certainly like to go big as I can.

Unfortunately my local tire guy, and Tire Rack, don't seem to offer Road Hazard on the 30x9.5R15.

Is it worth it to go a little smaller, with a size that offers a road hazard? Or do I not really need road hazard? I've gotten a little sensitized, having rubbed a curb here and there while parallel parking on soft Z-rated stuff in my sports compacts, the last thing I want to do is gash a sidewall on more expensive rubber, but not have a road hazard warranty to protect it ... but obviously this stuff is a little tougher than Z-rated road rubber.

Thanks for any input ...

Old 11-17-2008, 08:00 AM
Starting Member
Default RE: Grabber AT2s - sizes, road hazard

Looks like 265/70R15 is available with Road Hazard, and I only lose .3" or so in overall diameter, right? Seems like a great compromise.

Old 11-17-2008, 08:55 AM
Starting Member

decided that at best road hazard saves me $90 if I have a failure within six months or so, less as tread wears ... not worth it. I went with the 30x9.5R15s

Old 11-17-2008, 10:50 AM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

Good choice

The AT2s are tough tires...a few curbs wont do anything to them. Also the 265/70 is actually bigger than that..on a 15x8 rim its 30.4x.10.7, so good thing you went with the 30x9.5s.

Pics?

Old 11-17-2008, 10:57 AM
Starting Member

ORIGINAL: WolfPack

Good choice

The AT2s are tough tires...a few curbs wont do anything to them. Also the 265/70 is actually bigger than that..on a 15x8 rim its 30.4x.10.7, so good thing you went with the 30x9.5s.

Pics?
I'll make sure to get some before and after

Old 11-17-2008, 04:24 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

Truck tires are more durable than passenger tires. Truck tires have more sidewall plies to carry a heavier load, and they provide more resistance to side wall damage. However sticks and curbs can still screw a tire up.

You want tires with LT prior to the numbers, P tires are passengers.

Funny thing about tires, generally you get what you pay for.

Odd tehy don't offer road hazard on 30" tires.All road hazard does is provide a warrenty tot he tire in case of damage while driving, nails, sticks, etc. If there not offering a warrenty (road hazard) are you sure you want that brand of tires?

Old 11-17-2008, 04:26 PM
Starting Member

ORIGINAL: Hanr3

Truck tires are more durable than passenger tires. Truck tires have more sidewall plies to carry a heavier load, and they provide more resistance to side wall damage. However sticks and curbs can still screw a tire up.

You want tires with LT prior to the numbers, P tires are passengers.

Funny thing about tires, generally you get what you pay for.

Odd tehy don't offer road hazard on 30" tires.All road hazard does is provide a warrenty tot he tire in case of damage while driving, nails, sticks, etc. If there not offering a warrenty (road hazard) are you sure you want that brand of tires?
A lot of places won't do a road hazard on off-road tires, or will attempt not to honor a warranty if they can show you damaged the tire off-road, and some sizes in some applications are probably designated pretty strictly as off-road.

Getting what you pay for doesn't mean much in rubber unfortunately. You get what you buy in terms of treadwear and traction ... circumstances happen, you can't predict what that pothole is going to look like, or where that nail is going to come from.

That said, yes, I feel more secure in a LT tire and a PASS. I've rubbed plenty of curbs with LT tires and never sliced them open like hot butter the way I have sports compact Z-rated stuff.

Old 11-17-2008, 04:38 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

General grabbers are not off-road tires.
If your tire store wont offer road hazard on an All-Terrain /Mud tire I think you need to find a new store. I have no problem getting road hazard on my tires. I used to work in a service center, bulk of our business was tires. We would road hazard all tires we sold. I live in a farming community, we sell a ton of "off-road tires". Every farmer, construction worker in the area uses "off-Road tires".

The only tires I could see being a challenge with the road hazard are tires designed specifically for off-road use. Super Swampers being the biggy. And even then they are still DOT approved street legal tires.

Old 11-17-2008, 04:42 PM
Starting Member

ORIGINAL: Hanr3

General grabbers are not off-road tires.
If your tire store wont offer road hazard on an All-Terrain /Mud tire I think you need to find a new store. I have no problem getting road hazard on my tires. I used to work in a service center, bulk of our business was tires. We would road hazard all tires we sold. I live in a farming community, we sell a ton of "off-road tires". Every farmer, construction worker in the area uses "off-Road tires".

The only tires I could see being a challenge with the road hazard are tires designed specifically for off-road use. Super Swampers being the biggy. And even then they are still DOT approved street legal tires.

local store doesn't offer it on that size, tire rack doesn't offer it on that size, discount tire doesn't seem to offer the tire, period.

feel free to put forth as much conjecture as you'd like, people on this board seem pretty happy with these tires, and they're well rated for all my needs, including heavy snow service. I'm sticking with "no road hazard due to off-road designation." if you actually do research and find otherwise, feel free to fill me in, thanks in advance, but for now, I'm happy with my state of knowledge and my purchase.

Old 11-17-2008, 07:47 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

Weve had the AT2 vs AT KO argument before, I believe it ended up with AT KOs winning if you want to Baja Race, other wise, get the AT2

It is worth giving a call to some other shops to see if anyone else will warranty the other sizes..Obviously you were happy with the price at this shop, but you might just wanna call around!

Quick Reply: Grabber AT2s - sizes, road hazard