Tires and Wheels What skins are you rollin' around on? Discuss wrapping your rims in here.

How to reset shift pts. and speedo for bigger tires

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 02:08 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Andy, I changed the setting in your control panel to display signatures. Can you see them now?

Old 01-03-2010, 03:39 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by rriddle3
Andy, I changed the setting in your control panel to display signatures. Can you see them now?
Yep, thanks! I wonder how that happened in the first place?

Old 01-03-2010, 04:55 PM
ImScrewed92 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah, read the link from Swartlkk. First let me say google and yahoo have nothing on our resident guru of auto enginering. My uncle does repair work on small electronics, like survey equipment and such. So I'm gonna print this out and take it to him and see if he would remove the jumpers and install the DIP switches for me. My hands are too shaky to even think about tinkering with my computer board. So in having the speedometer accurate for the new tires, it will also fix the shift points on the transmission right. I started to edit this post and ask that and started thinking that if the speedo is correct, it would alter the shift points of the transmission also, is this true?

Last edited by ImScrewed92; 01-03-2010 at 06:40 PM. Reason: additional information
Old 01-03-2010, 09:54 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If you cannot locate a device similar to the ones pictured in that link, it is likely because the module is part of the instrument cluster. I can get you the information pertaining to modifying the "programming" of that if you need it.

Old 01-21-2010, 04:16 PM
Blazers.B.Kewl is an unknown quantity at this point

Any updates on this? I'm thinking of doing this myself and I would like to know if he found the VSS and where since I have the exact same truck

Old 01-21-2010, 06:22 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

From the research I did, the DRAC module could be part of the cluster or it could be a separate module. If it were a separate module, it would be a small square box located near the ECU behind the glove box. Both are "reprogrammed" similar to the links I posted above.

Old 01-21-2010, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by swartlkk
From the research I did, the DRAC module could be part of the cluster or it could be a separate module. If it were a separate module, it would be a small square box located near the ECU behind the glove box. Both are "reprogrammed" similar to the links I posted above.
I read through that article you posted and I already printed it out and went and bought the switches. I was just wondering where to look for the VSS module. According to Haynes manual it's behind the instrument cluster. What makes you say behind the glove box? I haven't gotten outside to take a look as of yet so I'm looking around for whatever information I can find on it. I'm looking to fix the shifting and speedo. Shifting feels a little sluggish. I can barely spin the wheels from a stop unless it's wet. Or will this not fix my problem?

Last edited by Blazers.B.Kewl; 01-21-2010 at 06:56 PM.
Old 01-21-2010, 07:14 PM
Administrator

There are two different locations in '92. As I said, it is either part of the cluster or it is near the ECU. You have to find it. I would start by looking behind the glove box unless you think it is easier to pull the instrument cluster.

And the VSS is in the back of the transmission (2wd) or transfer case (4wd). You are not looking for the VSS though.

Old 01-21-2010, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by swartlkk
There are two different locations in '92. As I said, it is either part of the cluster or it is near the ECU. You have to find it. I would start by looking behind the glove box unless you think it is easier to pull the instrument cluster.

And the VSS is in the back of the transmission (2wd) or transfer case (4wd). You are not looking for the VSS though.
Mine's the CPI motor if that helps determine the location? But I'll check both places. How does one get behind the glove box?
The article says my year should have the VSSB because of the electronic transmission (that's why I keep saying VSS, sorry). My RPO codes say I have a THM700R4 transmission. Is that the electronic one?

Old 01-21-2010, 08:39 PM
Administrator

VSSB = Vehicle Speed Sensor Buffer which is another name for the DRAC.

Quick Reply: How to reset shift pts. and speedo for bigger tires