Tires and Wheels What skins are you rollin' around on? Discuss wrapping your rims in here.

MT or AT

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 08:18 AM
sky96744 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default MT or AT

I cant decide to put MT or AT on my Blazer. I like the looks of the MT's but I dont know how they are in the Snow? Anyone have Experience with MT in the snow?

Old 07-16-2007, 08:21 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: MT or AT

Why is this in Sights & Sounds??

*Moving to Tires & Wheels*

Do you have a specific brand/model of tire in mind?

Old 07-16-2007, 09:10 AM
BF Veteran
EuroGoldLS is on a distinguished road

Mudd terrains are probably better because they usually have a more aggressive tread.

Old 07-16-2007, 09:18 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

While MTs may have a more aggressive tread that is self cleaning, most do not have the siping that ATs have. That and MTs usually have much larger tread blocks which would hurt them on snow/ice.

But I really need to know what tires you are looking at to be able to comment further than the generalizations I have stated above.

Old 07-16-2007, 09:35 AM

Im looking at the BFG MT or BFG AT

Old 07-16-2007, 09:44 AM
Administrator

BFG MT:

BFG AT:

My next question would be, what do you do with this truck? If you go off the pavement only casually, the MTs won't offer any real advantage over the ATs.

How long would you like them to last? The MTs are known to wear away quite fast when used mainly on-road. Not to mention that they mostlikely will be noisier than the ATs.

Old 07-16-2007, 09:49 AM

Mainly for road. Like the look of the MT over the AT. Not too worried about the wear. more worried about the traction in the snow / rain.

Old 07-16-2007, 10:05 AM
Administrator

Here's the tire ratings from Tirerack.com:

BFG AT T/A KO
BFG MT T/A KM

Kinda goes in favor of the MTs for deep snow, but the ATs beat it in almost everything else on the list.... If it were me and I had to choose between those two tires, I wouldn't even think about the MTs unless I was really into offroading.

Old 07-16-2007, 12:22 PM
FFJustin99Chevy is an unknown quantity at this point

Keep in mind how they are going to fit under your truck depending on what tire size you are looking at. I don't know if you are planning on mounting them on a stock-height Blazer but you may have an issue with rubbing due to the tread patterns on both of those tires. I know that even the AT's rub if you get them in a 31" and that's going to kill your tires even quicker.

Old 07-16-2007, 12:33 PM
RCars2 is an unknown quantity at this point

I've used both and for what you need the AT's are just fine. Despite first glance at images, they look really nice on a blazer (and i would know). As for rain traction you are definatly going to want the AT's. The MT's dont shed water for anything and just slip and slide. Dont even get me started on wet braking with those. As for snow, if its the deep stuff, oh yeah these are gonna rock your world but at the same time the AT's do really well on snow and on ice.

Basically there is a reson they name the tires the way they do. All terrains are good on all terrain in most situations because they carry the features of a road tire with an aggressive tread for hazards. Mudd terrains are good for mudd, deep snow, and rock crawling because of their ability to hook large edges on deep lugs.

Now if you want an ultimate compromise then you end up in my situation. Im getting a set of MT's for off-roading, mudding,and show (because they do indeed look nice)and then for general use im going to keep a set of AT's.

In the end its your decision as to what you want to do but keep these things in mind.