Tires and Wheels What skins are you rollin' around on? Discuss wrapping your rims in here.

Please help with 96 blazer tires

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 10:21 PM
Banned
felonyblazer96 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Please help with 96 blazer tires

Hi everyone, im brand new to the forum and i hope no one minds but i will have lots of questions and i appreciate all help from any one..i just bought a stock 96 blazer and i want some off road tires. all the numbers confuse the hell outta me and i was wondering if someone can tell me what kind off rims and tires would be the max limit on my blazer. i got the money to spend on it i just would appreciate any feedback and i will post my truck pics soon. if you could show me pictures and give links id apprecite it...

Old 11-04-2007, 10:46 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about
Default RE: Please help with 96 blazer tires

Don't you worry felony, these guys will take care of you pretty good, I havn't seen a question yet they couldn't figure out!

As for your tires, start out http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=46 there. It explains all the types of measurements. Stock tires are using the P-metric sizing, and offroad tires are gunna use the LT sizing. My 2000 uses P235x75xR15 tires stock, which means my tread is 235 millimeters wide. The next number is the ratio of sidewall height to tread width. mine's 75, meaning my tire's sidewall 75% as tall as the tread is wide. Lastly, the R is the type of construction on the tire, R stands for radial. Most tires should be R unless youre going to a pretty specific application. the last number is rim size.

As for your offroad tires, you'll hear people talk about the new 32's they just put on. Theyre just saying the tire as a whole is 32' diameter. The stock blazer tires are pretty close to 29.5's.

The max size is pretty tricky to give a firm answer on. Check through the other fitment posts in the forum. It all depends how much rub is ok with you, if you're ok trimming fenders, and if you're going to body lift, suspension lift, t-bar/shackles, or spacers. All depends on what you want to do with the wheels and how much you wanna spend!

Hope this gets you a pretty good start!

Old 11-04-2007, 10:48 PM
Banned

Wolfpack, i really appreciate the reply im going to the website now! thanks for being so quick with the reply

Old 11-04-2007, 10:55 PM
BF Veteran
mdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant future

for the tires, 30x9.5 are about as big as you can go without having to modify anything (frame, susp, fenders) for the wheels, you wanna stick close to stock specs. 15x7 or 15x8 wheel with 6" backspacing (4wd) or 4" backspacing (2wd)... if you find some wheels that have less backspacing than stock, it will push the wheel out away from the frame giving it a wider stance but it will create problems with the wheels rubbing the fenders.

EDIT: another common tire measurement system which, IMO, is much easier to understand would be 31x10.5x15 or 33x12.5x17... first number is diameter, second nuber is width, third number is rim diameter. these measurements are way easier to visualize since we routinely measure things in inches. not milimeters

Old 11-04-2007, 11:02 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

Oh and if you're looking at different wheels, the bolt pattern is a crazy 5 on 4.75 for the lovely blazers

Old 11-05-2007, 10:05 AM
Psychropod is an unknown quantity at this point

Felony...

If it helps, I've got two sets of wheels. I have 17" street wheels that I use in the summer (see my pix), but I also have a set of 15" wheels that I plan to use for the winter. I plan to install them within the next 30 days. I decided to stick with the stock size of 235/75/15 for the winter wheels, and I will use these tires. If you don't live in a snow area, you could still do the same for times when you just want to take your truck off the road.

Also note that whenever you change the wheel/tire combination on your truck, have the shop recalibrate your speedometer. (Or you can get a computer programmer and do it yourself, which is what I'm doing.)

Old 11-05-2007, 10:34 AM
Banned

psychropod thanks alot but i do live in a snowy area actually it is going to snow tommorow night. appreciate the feedback

Old 11-05-2007, 11:16 AM
Millertime21 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey, I have a 96 blazer with some off road tires. Check it out to get an idea, and let me know if you have any questions. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2669689

Old 11-05-2007, 10:10 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

GM used the "crazy" bolt pattern of 5 on 4.75" on numberous cars over the years. Camaros, Firebirds, and Corevettes to name a few. You can find wheels out therer if you look. Even some of the stockers off the aforementioned rides look decent.

Hint: Blazer Extremes, Camaros, Firebirds, and Vettes also come in 16x8" sizes too. The stock S10-Blazer is 15x7". With that 16x8 you can mount up to a 12.5" wide tire. Like a 33"x12.5"x16. That's a pretty decent sized tire.

Old 11-05-2007, 10:23 PM
Banned

thanks for all feedback its really appreciated