Tires and Wheels What skins are you rollin' around on? Discuss wrapping your rims in here.

problem finding rims?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 10:06 AM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by tireman1554
Is your blazer a 2WD or 4WD?
i know he's already told you, but this is the problem when people don't read the whole thread-first!

as for what tire size will fit.....did you even go to 1010tire and use the calculator yourself yet? sorry, but Pat gave you a vg link that will tell you everything you need to know about the tire size conversion, and yet you're still asking him what size & what to do.

and you really should find a new tire shop. if the guy was telling you they'll rub and stopped there............well he should really be saying, "look, this is the same OD as what you're running now, so this will workinstead".

'cause all that matters (for your speedo, ABS, etc) is the OD of the tire. width doesn't matter except for rubbing the frame rails-but your OD dictates how the trans/speedo/ABS will function.

and i know your '84 doesn't have ABS, i was just showing all affected systems with a tire change.

sorry if it's a rant, but i hate when good info is given, and people still sound like they want it done for them instead.

Last edited by old skool luvr; 04-11-2010 at 10:12 AM. Reason: made it sound nicer.
Old 04-11-2010, 10:50 AM
84BlazerS10 is on a distinguished road

I didn't mean for it to seem like I was wanting someone to do it for me I was just wanting to make sure because I would be pissed off If I spent close to $1,000 on rims and tires only to find out it rubbed a lot or something.

main concerns I'm trying to figure out now before I order is what offset should I look for or does it really matter much?
Also, would I have to mess with backspacing now or could I just mount them with the stock equipment and run them that way?

According to the calculator I would have to probably run something like a 225/60/R17 to keep from going over the 3% diameter difference which it says could cause brake failure.

Attached Thumbnails problem finding rims?-tires.jpg  

Last edited by 84BlazerS10; 04-11-2010 at 11:29 AM.
Old 04-11-2010, 03:58 PM
BF Veteran
oktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant future

You should be fine with those... I still say a 0 offset will be fine... the backspacing doesn't get "played with"...

Backspacing:

If you get 4.5" backspacing (which is stock) and the rims are the same width as the stock... they won't stick out AT ALL.

If you have wider rims with 4.5" backspacing they'll stick out a little more, but The inside lip of the rim WILL NOT be any closer to the frame than the stock wheels. IE. you see the measuring tape? that distance doesn't change... The outer lip will be further out because the rim is wider.

Last edited by oktain; 04-11-2010 at 04:01 PM.
Old 04-11-2010, 04:10 PM

Ok, that is what I was wondering because I had heard of people changing the spacing to get it to stick out farther.
I'll have to ask them what offset that rim comes in hopefully it will all work out.

thanks for the help

Old 04-11-2010, 07:30 PM
BF Veteran
oktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant future

np... guys with 4x4's will put 4.5" backspaced rims on instead of the stock 6", the wheels stick out 1.5" further than stock and make for a nice rugged look...

If you plan to lower though, you'll need the wheels to be in the stock position, so if you can don't go much wider than an 8" rim.

Old 04-11-2010, 08:56 PM

Yeah, I would eventually like to lower it a bit but if that is the case that works out perfect because I was looking at a 8" rim.

Old 04-11-2010, 09:02 PM
BF Veteran

Go for it and post pictures.

Old 04-11-2010, 09:55 PM

Yeah the lowering part would have to come later but I'll probably post some pictures when I get the rims in and mounted.

Old 04-12-2010, 10:17 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by 84BlazerS10
Yeah, I would eventually like to lower it a bit but if that is the case that works out perfect because I was looking at a 8" rim.

this is for a 1st gen, right? then you can't fit a 8" rim on it.

well, that also depends on how much you plan to lower it. if you have a little more positive off-set (bringing the rim inboard more) then you can go above the stock 7" width-to a certain degree.

before you start messing with the off-set & rim width, talk to a shop that does alot of business with wheels, not just tires.

Old 04-12-2010, 10:51 PM
ImScrewed92 is an unknown quantity at this point

Good point old skool luvr. I was thinking a co worker ran a 6/6 drop on eighteens and besides tire wear from his alignment problems, he had no problems. But it was a 2nd gen. If you don't do more than a 3/3 drop with 17's maybe 18's with a low pro, you should be good. I debated on a set of 18's once and I think with the 205-75-15 my truck came with a 255-55-18 as the closest to stock OD. Not sure if stock tire size differed by much from 84-93 though.

Ps saw mention of c6 wheels keep in mind you'd need a set of spacer or you'll rub frame and almost touch leafs in the back. Can't remember there width but that can be trouble also just putting it out there.

Quick Reply: problem finding rims?