Tires and Wheels What skins are you rollin' around on? Discuss wrapping your rims in here.

Question on Bigger Wheels/Tires

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2015, 11:49 AM
Beginning Member
ACA1001 is on a distinguished road
Default Question on Bigger Wheels/Tires

Hello, I have been Googling and searching this site, but I am still confused regarding the issue of how does one enlarge the wheel wells to fit bigger wheels and tires? For example, I know one can do a lift, but even then, can't the tires still bump the edges/corners of the wheel wells with enough flexion if the tires are wider than the wells?

If I am getting the gist of it right, is a solution to this to use wheel spacers to move the wheels and tires out beyond the stock wheel wells and then add on larger fenders that cover over the larger wheels/tires? And also suspension lift and body lift?

Thanks.

Old 12-09-2015, 01:10 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

depends on how big a tire you go. i hacked off my fenders on a 85 and fit 35 inch tires on it. but yeah the tires rubbed the actual body on turns, nothing a sledge hammer didnt fix. truck was a off road beater so didnt really care about it

Old 12-10-2015, 05:24 AM
Toocute350 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by ACA1001
Hello, I have been Googling and searching this site, but I am still confused regarding the issue of how does one enlarge the wheel wells to fit bigger wheels and tires? For example, I know one can do a lift, but even then, can't the tires still bump the edges/corners of the wheel wells with enough flexion if the tires are wider than the wells?

If I am getting the gist of it right, is a solution to this to use wheel spacers to move the wheels and tires out beyond the stock wheel wells and then add on larger fenders that cover over the larger wheels/tires? And also suspension lift and body lift?

Thanks.
It all depends on what you want.Do you not want to worry about tires rubbing, or do you want to put the biggest tires you can fit?Usually if the front tires rub on the inside, you will have to figure out what size spacer you will need, to bring the tire out.Depending on what size spacer you need,odds are that the tires may rubb the fender well/wheel well.Then your talking about haveing to lift your ride if the tires are to tall.When it comes to installing bigger tires than recommended OEM specs?It always leeds to a snowball effect,which can cost you more in the long run.If you don`t care what it looks like, then you could just cut the fenders or wheel wells, then it`s done.If I where in your shoes, I would just purchase the biggest, tallest, widest tires I can install without any problems what so ever.

Old 12-10-2015, 01:27 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by Toocute350
It all depends on what you want.Do you not want to worry about tires rubbing, or do you want to put the biggest tires you can fit?Usually if the front tires rub on the inside, you will have to figure out what size spacer you will need, to bring the tire out.Depending on what size spacer you need,odds are that the tires may rubb the fender well/wheel well.Then your talking about haveing to lift your ride if the tires are to tall.When it comes to installing bigger tires than recommended OEM specs?It always leeds to a snowball effect,which can cost you more in the long run.If you don`t care what it looks like, then you could just cut the fenders or wheel wells, then it`s done.If I where in your shoes, I would just purchase the biggest, tallest, widest tires I can install without any problems what so ever.

I just want some bigger more aggressive-looking tires to improve off-road capability. Right now I have a 1998 GMC Jimmy that is totally stock, but I would like to do things like a SAS (solid axle swap), engine swap (5.3 or 5.7 V8), suspension lift, body lift, locking differentials, I assume a tougher transfer case, etc...I would like it to end up looking something like this:

Also the images here of this white Jimmy: S-10 / Blazer Off-road bumpers and sliders for sale!! - Page 2 - S-10 Forum

Attached Thumbnails Question on Bigger Wheels/Tires-upload_35423.jpg   Question on Bigger Wheels/Tires-32371210006_original.jpg  
Old 12-11-2015, 08:15 AM
Toocute350 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by ACA1001
I just want some bigger more aggressive-looking tires to improve off-road capability. Right now I have a 1998 GMC Jimmy that is totally stock, but I would like to do things like a SAS (solid axle swap), engine swap (5.3 or 5.7 V8), suspension lift, body lift, locking differentials, I assume a tougher transfer case, etc...I would like it to end up looking something like this:

Also the images here of this white Jimmy: S-10 / Blazer Off-road bumpers and sliders for sale!! - Page 2 - S-10 Forum
Nice ride..I noticed the ford next to it.

Old 12-11-2015, 01:10 PM
lazyboyjake is on a distinguished road

https://blazerforum.com/forum/builds...-66048/page84/

Check out this thread. His SAS starts around where I linked it but I highly encourage you to read through the whole thread.

Old 12-11-2015, 04:45 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by lazyboyjake
https://blazerforum.com/forum/builds...-66048/page84/

Check out this thread. His SAS starts around where I linked it but I highly encourage you to read through the whole thread.
Thanks for the link.