Tires and Wheels What skins are you rollin' around on? Discuss wrapping your rims in here.

Questions about will wheel to pick.

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 04:07 PM
Beginning Member
luigi408 is on a distinguished road
Red face Questions about will wheel to pick.

Hi all,

Can you guys tell me which wheel to pick that would best fit my car?

I have a 2000 Chevy Blazer LT 2WD.

1st Pick is:

Cragar 3977734 - Cragar Soft 8 Black Wheels - Overview - SummitRacing.com

2nd Pick is:

Cragar 3975734P - Cragar Soft 8 Black Wheels - Overview - SummitRacing.com

The differences from both is the size of rim (15 vs. 16), the Backspacing (4.00 vs. 4.25), and offset (0.00mm vs +6.00mm).

I want to do the tbar and shackle lift to my truck before getting these wheels (can you guys recommend me a link to purchase the shackles from please). I just want the wheels to fit nicely w/o rubbing. I also like the look when they stick out a bit from the side of the Blazer.

By the way I like the bigger size wheel but not sure if it would cause problems compare to the smaller one. Can you guys tell me what would be the difference of looks and fit?

Thanks for the help!

PS: I have a few more question please if you guys can help me.

1) Can you guys recommend me a place (link) where to buy cheap but good quality black front brush guards.

2) Also want to buy those window protector/shade things that some of you have on your Blazers. Not sure if I'm making any sense but I'm talking about the protectors that run outside the windows of cars. If you guys can provide me a link to those that would be great too.

Once again thanks everyone.

Last edited by luigi408; 05-24-2012 at 04:15 PM.
Old 05-24-2012, 05:19 PM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute

1/4" of backspacing is negligible, as is 6mm of offset. Stock 2wd backspacing is 4" so I'd stick with that. 16" tires are more expensive than 15" tires, so that's your decision.

Synergy Offroad carries both Daystar and Fabtech shackles. Amazon has the Fabtech as well. You could always check eBay, or ask a local fabrication shop to make some for you.

16" rim would be half an inch taller on each side. I like a bigger rim with a decent amount of sidewall as opposed to a smaller rim with a more balloon-like tire. But again, you're talking about the difference between a 15" rim and a 16" rim. Barely noticeable. If you were comparing 15" and 18-20", it would matter.

No such thing as a cheap, but good quality brush guard. Best to watch craigslist.

They're called Ventshades/Ventvisors/etc. You can buy the original GM accessories ones or go to your local auto parts store and order them. I just looked on Lund's website but it doesn't list anything to fit except the sunroof shade. Not sure how accurate that is because I've seen them before and even bought them for my Mom's S10. Maybe JCWhitney or someone similar would have them.

Old 05-24-2012, 10:28 PM
tibby has a spectacular aura abouttibby has a spectacular aura about
Default .

Originally Posted by TripleBlackBlazer
1/4" of backspacing is negligible, as is 6mm of offset. Stock 2wd backspacing is 4" so I'd stick with that. 16" tires are more expensive than 15" tires, so that's your decision.

Synergy Offroad carries both Daystar and Fabtech shackles. Amazon has the Fabtech as well. You could always check eBay, or ask a local fabrication shop to make some for you.

16" rim would be half an inch taller on each side. I like a bigger rim with a decent amount of sidewall as opposed to a smaller rim with a more balloon-like tire. But again, you're talking about the difference between a 15" rim and a 16" rim. Barely noticeable. If you were comparing 15" and 18-20", it would matter.

No such thing as a cheap, but good quality brush guard. Best to watch craigslist.

They're called Ventshades/Ventvisors/etc. You can buy the original GM accessories ones or go to your local auto parts store and order them. I just looked on Lund's website but it doesn't list anything to fit except the sunroof shade. Not sure how accurate that is because I've seen them before and even bought them for my Mom's S10. Maybe JCWhitney or someone similar would have them.
Actually 15" tires are more expensive than 16" tires in some cases bro. More rubber goes into a 15" than 16". Also keep in mind that with newer cars these days going to bigger wheels, the 15" tire will just get more expensive because the demand will go down which in turn means the supply will be less.

I got quoted almost $50 more for a 31/10.50/15 than for a 265/70/17 when I bought my tires in January.

Last edited by tibby; 05-24-2012 at 10:34 PM.
Old 05-24-2012, 10:54 PM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute

Luck of the draw, really. If the 17" tire you got a quote for is more popular than the 31s, then yes, they will be cheaper. Same tire company and tread? I stand behind 15" tires being cheaper than 16" tires. 15s aren't THAT uncommon yet.

Bro.

Old 05-25-2012, 02:09 AM
Default .

Originally Posted by TripleBlackBlazer
Luck of the draw, really. If the 17" tire you got a quote for is more popular than the 31s, then yes, they will be cheaper. Same tire company and tread? I stand behind 15" tires being cheaper than 16" tires. 15s aren't THAT uncommon yet.

Bro.
Yeah, this was at my local pep boys in January when I was going to put on the camaro ss wheels. But to keep the story short, they just wouldn't work. So I switched from a 17 inch wheel to a 15 inch wheel and the dang tire price went up. Both tires were A/T tread pattern of their tire brand. I even asked the guy why the 15 was more expensive and he said it took more rubber to create it (sidewall I guess). But I've always been told the most expensive part of the tire was the bead. The bead is longer for a larger diameter wheel.

Haha, I liked the bro part above ^.

Old 05-25-2012, 02:20 AM
gojorg has a spectacular aura aboutgojorg has a spectacular aura about

Did anybody noticed that he is talking about a T-bar crank on a 2wd?
To lift a 2wd in the front you need Springs or spindles I believe, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Old 05-25-2012, 06:11 AM
BF Veteran

Good catch, Jorge.

Old 05-25-2012, 04:57 PM
Beginning Member

Hey everyone thanks for the help. I have been reading about the 2" lift and did not realize it was only for 4WD =( anyways, what combo of Soft8's and tires can I use so that it doesn't run or cause much problems? I don't think I'm gonna lift it now but I would still like to use Soft 8's. Thanks again.

Old 05-26-2012, 01:02 PM
Default .

Originally Posted by luigi408
Hey everyone thanks for the help. I have been reading about the 2" lift and did not realize it was only for 4WD =( anyways, what combo of Soft8's and tires can I use so that it doesn't run or cause much problems? I don't think I'm gonna lift it now but I would still like to use Soft 8's. Thanks again.
Without a lift on a 2wd, bigger tires would create problems. It all depends on what tire size you want to go with though. Were you thinking of 235's? 30's? Since your 2wd wheels have 4' backspacing and are 15x7s, go with something around the same size (15x7 or 16x7 both work as far as size measurements) and with equal or less backspacing (4' or less, less would push the wheel stance out a little further and you would have to trim the fender a bit depending on tire size) respective of the wheel size. The 16x7's have 4' of backspacing (like the 15x7 2wd stock wheels) compared to the 15x7 soft 8's with 4.25' of backspacing. Personally the 16's might fit a tad bit better in your case. But that is just my opinion. Either wheel should work since the extra .25' of backspacing is minimal.

Last edited by tibby; 05-26-2012 at 01:10 PM.
Old 05-27-2012, 03:08 AM
Beginning Member

I'm thinking with the 16" Soft 8's wheel I'll get the 30's. I like the rugged look and want the wheels to be at the fenders or stick out just a bit. I'm thinking to add spacers 1.5" to the back and 1" to the fronts. Would spacers help fit the wheel and tires better too?

Quick Reply: Questions about will wheel to pick.