Tires and Wheels What skins are you rollin' around on? Discuss wrapping your rims in here.

Quick question about buying a spare tire

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 07:13 PM
Starting Member
bammontana has a little shameless behavior in the past
Default Quick question about buying a spare tire

Okay so I picked up a set of Peerless Widetrack Bajas 31s from my buddy a couple weeks back sitting on American Racing Outlaw IIs. (http://highperformancetire.com/home.php?cat=337)

So since I have a totallllly new tire rim and even bolt pattern config (4.5 instead of 4.75) I am purchasing another Outlaw II rim and also new tire. Can't really find the bajas anywhere at all, but what I do know is that they are made by firestone. The firestone brand name is Firestone Destination M/T (http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....L&i1_Qty=1)

Now another buddy of mine has the firestone tires and they are the same as the peerless. The only difference is the tread pattern. Looking at the two, do you think there is going to be a problem with running the firestone as a spare? I just got the set of tires and rims from my buddy so I am not looking to replace anything as of yet. I don't like driving without a spare, and having a full size spare matching rim and tire would be ideal.

What do you guys think?

Old 02-18-2009, 07:22 PM
2002XTREME is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Quick question about buying a spare tire

idont see a problem with having that as a spare as long as the sizes match, since ya lifted it..You def wouldnt want to put a smaller tire on it even for a spare to drive... http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ONE-P...Q5fAccessories this isnt what you have now right? Diff size i`m sure...

Old 02-18-2009, 07:45 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

So whats the backspacing on the rims? Youve gotta have a wideeeee stance if youre running aftermarket rims and wheel adapters..

Old 02-18-2009, 09:15 PM
Starting Member

ORIGINAL: 2002XTREME

idont see a problem with having that as a spare as long as the sizes match, since ya lifted it..You def wouldnt want to put a smaller tire on it even for a spare to drive... http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ONE-P...Q5fAccessories this isnt what you have now right? Diff size i`m sure...
Thanks for looking for me! But unfortunately not the right size. I am thinking of purchasing the tire from the first link I provided, looks like everything is the same size and it is the same tire and everything as well.. Only 13 dollars to ship.

[EDIT]
Bahh good thing I did not buy it, I did not realize that the tire size was different. Boo. I am not to sure what the difference is from 235/75R15C is to 31 x 10.50 but I do not want to buy a tire and find out like that.

Looks like I will be going the firestone route. poo.

I know my buddy had a couple of fords [:'(] in his shop last week that were full time all wheel drive and they were having a crappy time driving. They went to each tire and took a string and measured them - same tire size, but each tire was from a different manufacturer so they were really different sizes which was causing havoc. Thats my fear since these tires seem to be a PITA to find besides on that one website, once they are gone I will have to prob throw a new set all around.

@ WolfPack - Yea man, very wide hehe. The backspacing is 3.75 and add that to the 1 inch adapters and forgett about it.

(See attached)

[IMG]local://upfiles/14065/8680A371C2EF473694CAB5D057091822.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-20-2009, 02:52 PM
willjones is an unknown quantity at this point

A 235/75 is quite a bit smaller than a 31x10.5. Unless you are planning on roatating the spare in with the others, than whats the point of making sure the brand matches, as long as the style and size match?

Old 02-20-2009, 04:29 PM
Starting Member

Well I got the firestone 31 x10.50.. Anyways well I like having the same tires even for a spare with the same rims (well rims are odvious because I can't fit the stock ones on)

I also wanted to be sure that the tire is the same size because if I am using it for a spare, I do not want to have drivetrain trouble. I usually buy my tires of tirerack so it would be a couple of days to get a replacement, anyhow.

Old 02-20-2009, 08:47 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

ORIGINAL: bammontana

What do you guys think?
It's a spare tire, as in to be used in case you have a flat. Who cares what the tire looks like or what tread pattern it has. The only important thing is that it holds air, has enough tread to be legal and will get you home. Hell it doesn't even have to be of the same size. you'r only driving on it to get youhome or to the nearest service station to get your tire fixed.

If this thing is hanging off the back of your truck, put a cover over it.

If you plan on rotating all 5 tires, then get a matching rimandtire of the same size.

I have 5 matching rims and 5 matching tires. Howeverthe only time the spare comes out isif I get a flat, otherwise it lives under the truck. It's not even a decent spare, itis the best old tire from when I replaced my tires. I'm not even sure if its round.

the short version. It's a spare tire. The whole point of a spare is to get you back on the road and not leave you stranded in the middle of anywhere.

One of my pet peves.- Most people don't even know how to change their spare tire. I wont stop to help them. If there tolazy to learn then its not worth my time to stop. If they are at least trying to make a gallant attempt, I'll stop and give them a hand. Steps off soap box.

Old 02-20-2009, 08:56 PM
Starting Member

The reason why I want a matching tire and rim is A. It will be mounted on top ans I want it to match B. If I need to throw a spre on in while I am in 4x4 I don't want to throw a different size tire and cause crap to my drivetrain. Anyways. I bought the tire and received today, all good!

Old 02-20-2009, 09:06 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

ORIGINAL: bammontana

The reason why I want a matching tire and rim is A. It will be mounted on top ans I want it to match B. If I need to throw a spre on in while I am in 4x4 I don't want to throw a different size tire and cause crap to my drivetrain. Anyways. I bought the tire and received today, all good!
B. Let air out of hte other tire so they are the same diameter. Or throw on what ever you can find and drive it back to camp where you can make repairs.

[IMG]local://upfiles/679/9C0812A7EE654F94B5FAEFACDF5A8828.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-02-2009, 10:03 AM
Starting Member

The almost worst happened today. Two out of three studs broke OFF the adapter (left rear wheel) while the other three becaming DANGEROURSLY loose. The tire almost fell off the truck. I lifted it up (down the hill from my house, in this fiing blizzard) and tightened up the three.

So let me ask.. If I take the tire off now, and take the adapter off, and put my stock tire on.. That should be fine to get me around if anywhere until I figure out the situation.

And a side note, what is everyone opinion on wheel spacers and adapters... Because I reallly dont trust them anymore.

Quick Reply: Quick question about buying a spare tire