Tires and Wheels What skins are you rollin' around on? Discuss wrapping your rims in here.

Ranking of tires

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 06:59 PM
Starting Member
Bocomo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Ranking of tires

I did a search at tirerack.com for tires 30x9.5-15. These are the biggest tires to fit a Blazer without any lift IIRC.

They came back with a list of 18 tires for on-/off-road all-terrain, they listed five in the size listed above, surprisingly they didn't list BFG All-Terrain t/a ko. They did list the BFG in an alternate size, maybe they don't carry that size??

Here is the listing of 18 tires:

Pirelli Scorpion ATR
Goodyear Wrangler SilentArmor
Firestone Destination A/T
Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo
Kumho Road Ventrue AT 825
Michelin 4x4 XPC
BFG Goodrich All-Terrain T/A KO
Kumho Road Venture AT KL-41
Pirelli Scorpion A/T
Michelin LTX A/T
Yokohama Geolander A/T Plus II
Dunlop Radial Rover RVXT
Bridgestone Dueler A/T D693
Goodyear Wrangler AT/S
Bridgestone Dueler A/T D693 II
Dunlop radial Rover RV
Goodyear Wrangler GS-A
General AmeriTrac TR

My guess is this ranking is based upon replies from customers. I suppose I could rate a tire I haven't purchased. It is very subjective as to the type of driving we each do. I'm sure the Pirellis Scorpion ATR would be fine for my sedate driving habits, where as an example the BFG T/A KO might be better if one did more off-road driving.

I was wondering what forum members rankings of these tires would be? Or any experience good or bad with any of them.

Old 12-04-2006, 07:58 PM
DetroitMuscle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Ranking of tires

I recently purchased a set of 4 YOKOHAMA geolander at/-s's from tirerack.com

They are great tires in both mud and snow, they are 30x9.5x15

I was in the market for general grabber at2's Id check them out if I were you, and summit racing is cheaper on some tires then tirerack is.

I had bfg's I hated em but thats just me. How aggressive do you want in a tire?

the wrangler at-s are the same ones they put stock on my work truck and those tires are terrible.

If you can get the generals grabber at2's you will be happy, alot less hum then bfg's and better traction.

Old 12-04-2006, 08:33 PM
a_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud of

I also wanted the grabber at2's but couldnt wait for them so i got bfg's......... no complaints so far... they just ride a bit rough.... damn light truck tires are stiff....

Old 12-04-2006, 10:30 PM
Starting Member
Bocomo is an unknown quantity at this point

Right now I'm running Firestone Destination LE. I bought them when my wife was driving the Blazer and I was in a F250 running BFG All-Terrain TA KOs. I didn't mind the BFG, a little loud.

I'm not looking for a very aggressive tire. That being said I do want a tire that will go most places. I rarely go off-road, about the worst I do is gravel. I feel compelled to never miss work due to weather. I did miss Friday when we had 15" of snow.

In reading the reviews at tirerack, I liked the Yoko Geolanders. I may need to look into the Generals, but would probably rather have the Geolanders?? At least on first impression. Now that two of you have mentioned the Grabber at2s?? I may need to look at them. I have time, the Firestones are just too tame looking for me. I guess that really is it, I want a decent looking tire and one that preforms fairly well. Maybe not too noisy either...hmmm.

Old 12-04-2006, 11:41 PM
a_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud of

the grabbers look like a toned down BFG AT.... they arent as aggressive looking, but from reviews i've read, they are about equal on all levels of traction... snow, rain, mud... they just dont look like they are ready to eat your face like the BFG's do.. hahaha but yeah, they are cheaper too.....

Old 12-05-2006, 02:06 AM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

Do you want a truck all-terrain tire, or a passenger tire?
Look at that list again. I dont think half of them are truck tires.

Looks to me like that list is ranked by soccer moms driving grocery getters.

Noise. [sm=lame.gif]

Old 12-05-2006, 02:11 AM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

ORIGINAL: a_tack

they just ride a bit rough.... damn light truck tires are stiff....
They are stiff because they have more belts in the sidewall. They are built to handle loads, towing much better then passenger tires. Passenger tires are the way to go if you will never tow, or haul any weight, or take your Blazer off-road.

However if you plan to actually use your Blazer like a truck, get the LTs.

Old 12-05-2006, 02:33 AM
cherryred4x4 is an unknown quantity at this point

The tires I've had:
Goodyear Wrangler AT/S - terrible tires, wore quickly, belts slipped on two occasions, did not balance well, expensive for the crap that they are
Dunlop Radial Rover-not on your list, pretty sure it comes in 30x9.5 from TireRack.com,probably in the 108 service rating - quiet, great highway ride, long life, good wet/snow traction
Dunlop Radial Rover RVXT-current tires, great wear @35psi, little noise, excellent wet traction, havent gotten to test the snow traction yet. only problem is they pick up small stones between the tread blocks (drive on gravel roads a lot), have to go around and occasionally clean the rocks out cause they clank on the pavement when driving

My roomate has had the Yokohama Geolander A/T+II's on his 01 Jimmy for a while, the wear is good. The noise is minimal, and he has great wet traction too.
My other roomate has 30x9.5 Dunlop Radial Rover RV's on his Dakota and they wear alright, more on the mud terrain end of the all terrain-if that makes any sense.
I have heard great reviews of the Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo's and the new Firestone Dueler A/T's, just didn't have that much money when I bought tires.

Old 12-05-2006, 04:08 AM
4lowlife is on a distinguished road

I have Duelers. 75 series instead of the 70's. Passenger rated, for my fat rear!

Old 12-05-2006, 08:36 AM
DetroitMuscle is an unknown quantity at this point

I can snap a few pics with the tread on the geolander at-s's emersed in snow.

The grabbers have the deepest tread for thei size tire I believe anyways.
I cant complain about the geolanders. If my 4x4 wasnt broken Im sure they would get me out of most of the stuff normal people get into, But I got them with the fact that I do alot of "off the road" driving with my job at times. Oh one of the best features is the nice clean out of the lugs, as soon as that part of the tire is out of the mud/sand/snow ect the lugs clean almost instantly.

Also I forgot to add, my geloander at-s' came SIPED as well. Its done when they make the tires, they are deep and more aggressive then the ones they do at tire shops.

Quick Reply: Ranking of tires