Tires and Wheels What skins are you rollin' around on? Discuss wrapping your rims in here.

Rim width

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 08:59 AM
Beginning Member
kfouad is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Rim width

Hi Guys,
- any1 can tell me what is the width of these 15" stock rims? (some say 7, some say 7.5 and others say 8".
- if the picture is not enough, then how can i measure it (with the tires on) ?
- I have now 31x10.5 on it, can i fit 32 or 33? (11.5 or 12.5)

Thanks

Attached Thumbnails Rim width-1.jpg   Rim width-2.jpg  
Old 12-13-2010, 03:58 PM
Beginning Member
Exclamation Come on experts

Come on tires experts, i need to do this asap.
can i fit the 33x12.5 on the stock alloy forged wheels?
what if the tire is too wide? what will happen to it and after how much milage?

Old 12-13-2010, 04:28 PM
BF Veteran
mdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant future

There are plenty of S10 Blazers with 33x12.5 on the stock alloy rims (which are 15x7). I've even seen one with 35's and one with 33x14 on OEM wheels

I don't know about K5 rims or the width of those but they should be okay with 32 or 33.

The only way I can think of to measure them with the tire on is to pass some sort of rod through one of the holes in the wheel. Line up two other rods on each face and mark where they intersect.

Old 12-13-2010, 04:33 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by mdehoogh
There are plenty of S10 Blazers with 33x12.5 on the stock alloy rims (which are 15x7). I've even seen one with 35's and one with 33x14 on OEM wheels

I don't know about K5 rims or the width of those but they should be okay with 32 or 33.

The only way I can think of to measure them with the tire on is to pass some sort of rod through one of the holes in the wheel. Line up two other rods on each face and mark where they intersect.
I heard that if i put for example the 33x12.5 on 15x8 wheels, the tires will wear un-eavenly. is this correct? and after how many miles? it would affect the tires

Old 12-13-2010, 04:35 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I would not recommend it. The max you should go is 4" over rim width with tire width. So you would need a minimum of an 8.5" wide rim to run 12.5" tires. I run 15x10's on my K5 with 33x12.5's.

Can it be done, sure. But tires are expensive and do you really want to chance it?

Old 12-13-2010, 04:43 PM
BF Veteran
mdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by kfouad
I heard that if i put for example the 33x12.5 on 15x8 wheels, the tires will wear un-eavenly. is this correct? and after how many miles? it would affect the tires
That would all depend on the alignment of the wheels, how much air pressure is in them, and how often they get rotated. If the rim is really narrow, the sidewall has to bend further and the edges of the tread might not be in full contact with the ground. That would mean the inner part of the tread would wear quicker. If you have negative camber, the inside edge will wear faster and if you have positive camber, the outside will wear faster.

Too many variables for anyone to give you a hard answer about what kind of wear will develop and when it will occur.

edited to add: You can get larger diameter without a larger width. I know BFG makes 33's with 9.5 and 10.5 widths. I'd imagine many manufacturers offer similar sizes.

Last edited by mdehoogh; 12-13-2010 at 04:48 PM.