Tires and Wheels What skins are you rollin' around on? Discuss wrapping your rims in here.

Stuck Rear Wheel Spacers......

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2018, 07:19 PM
thatguy1728 is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Stuck Rear Wheel Spacers......

Last summer I got new bigger tires for my Blazer and decided to also get spacers for the rear to correct that hideous track difference that once seen, cannot be unseen.

I got 1.5" hub-centric spacers. I don't remember the brand, but I do remember steering clear of cheapy ones and got a mid-range option with good reviews for all of their products. They are billet aluminum and seemed to be high quality.

After installing the spacer, I noticed that when putting the wheels back on that they were very snug around the new hub provided by the spacer. I knew I should have taken them off and reordered a new/different set. But I didn't. I said, "Eff it!" and put the wheels on.

When I say snug, I mean that the wheels didn't slide right onto the hub, and I could not push them on the whole way with just my hands. I could get them started on the edge of the hub by hand but they wouldn't push the whole way on. So, I lightly tightened the wheel in a star pattern with a rachet a few turns at a time (Hey, at least I didn't just gun 'em home with an impact gun ) until the wheel was flush on the spacer. It didn't take a great deal of force for either wheel to be persuaded into place, too much to spin the lug by hand, but I wasn't wrenching hard either. Once they were flush with the spacer I torqued the lugs as needed.

Now, because of a rear brake noise issue, I was having a couple months ago (which I have since rectified) I was reminded of my poor decision. I went to take the driver side rear wheel off and after I got the lugs off the wheel WOULD NOT budge by hand. I didn't have time to mess with it much but I tried a short 2x4 on the backside of the wheel and a mini-sledge and got nowhere. I didn't want to go crazy because I can't afford new wheels right now and wasn't sure if this method would end up bending them, even slightly.

So any suggestions on how to get my wheels off? Can I go nuts with the 2x4 and mini-sledge without worrying too much about bending the wheels? It was suggested to use a MAP gas torch around the lug holes on the wheel in short intervals to try and expand the area and loosen it from the spacer. But I am worried about compromising that area and warping or making it brittle. Any thoughts on this method?

As it sits, my Blazer is fine (ish). I plan on replacing leaf springs due to sag in the next couple months and along with that new shocks all around. Since installation, there is no indication of the spacers being crooked or anything. No weird tire wear, noise, vibration, etc. So for now, I do not "need" to get the rear wheels off for any reason. I just want to figure this out before I am on the side of the road with a flat and no way to get my wheel off.

Thank you, in advance, to anybody who provides input or advice.

Also feel free to give me crap for being an impatient moron. I deserve it.